Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Sony to Expand Spider-Man Franchise With "Venom" and "Sinister Six"

The studio has hired screenwriters Alex Kurtzman, Roberto Orci, Jeff Pinkner, Ed Solomon and Drew Goddard as part of a "franchise brain trust."

Full article here.

Yikes, these are mediocre selling books and if they bomb will make fans apathetic to the core Spider-man franchise. Seems like a poor risk.

Immortal. So far so good! Treqqor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ultimates View Post
    Yikes, these are mediocre selling books and if they bomb will make fans apathetic to the core Spider-man franchise. Seems like a poor risk.
    Do comic book sales translate into movie ticket sales, though? Blade wasn't hurt by not being a #1 comic. We'll see with Guardians as well.

If it's a good movie, it's a good movie, and tying into Spider-Man won't hurt.

Quote Originally Posted by ultimates View Post
    This has nothing to do with books. This is about Sony holding onto the rights of a big moneymaking property and hoping to turn around their diminishing returns by going the same route as all the other big comic book families. Avengers, the Justice League direction DC is going, the expanding X-Men universe over at Fox that is now connecting their classic, first class, and Wolverine lines and probably branching out to X-Force as well. . .

I was never interested in Venom as a character and don't see a movie about him being worthwhile. He was the weakest villain of the original trilogy.
    And villain team-ups almost never work well in film. (may be some exceptions, but by and large)

The Orci-Kurtzman Cancer spreads. Ugh. There's almost no chance anything worthwile will come of any of this.

Wonder if the sinister 6 movie will end with the death of spiderman and a Miles movie?

Quote Originally Posted by Izzy View Post
    Wonder if the sinister 6 movie will end with the death of spiderman and a Miles movie?
    Now, that would be interesting. I wouldn't favor replacing Peter, but it would be interesting to see. Or a movie version of Superior Spidey.

I love Spidey, but I wasn't over-impressed with ASM, don't think ASM2 looks all that great, have little interest in a Venom solo and don't even know what to think about a movie featuring the Sinister Six without Spidey or with him in a lesser role.

Quote Originally Posted by Stikman13 View Post
    The Orci-Kurtzman Cancer spreads. Ugh. There's almost no chance anything worthwile will come of any of this.
    Yeah, those Star Trek movies really bombed, it's not like they were critically acclaimed and massively commercially successful. Oh wait, they were. I'd definitely see a Venom movie, especially if it was Flash Thompson (I love that comic). I might see a Sinister Six film depending on what kind of movie it is. If Sony announces a Black Cat movie, I'll be really happy.

Wonder what version of Venom will appear. The Eddie Brock one is of course the most well known, but I'm not sure how that'll work as a solo film, even if the actor they choose is more of a physical fit than Topher Grace.

Then again there's Ultimate Venom, but it looks like some of that idea is going into the new version of Harry (Peter's old friend, secret of Peter's father etc.)-and of course Ultimate Venom was a bit like Topher.

Don't think the Gargan version would work quite as well. Better to introduce him as Scorpion first.

Flash of course has been introduced, but didn't they just de-power him in the comics? Or at least cancelled the ongoing?

I wonder if they're considering Venom as part of the six...If I recall correctly the Eddie Venom was in one incarnation during the Mackie/Bryne era.

Regarding Orci and Kurtzman, the first Star Trek movie was a success, the second, not so much...

Although I will defend them on Transformers II, it wasn't really their script on the final product, it was more that other writer (The one who wrote TF3 and the upcoming 4). Orci and Kurtzman wanted to have the plot have more to do with the rivalry between Starscream and Megatron...
    Last edited by ChrisIII; 12-13-2013 at 07:50 AM.

Odds are, likely far away from you.............or Toronto

Quote Originally Posted by ChrisIII View Post
    Wonder what version of Venom will appear. The Eddie Brock one is of course the most well known, but I'm not sure how that'll work as a solo film, even if the actor they choose is more of a physical fit than Topher Grace.

Then again there's Ultimate Venom, but it looks like some of that idea is going into the new version of Harry (Peter's old friend, secret of Peter's father etc.)-and of course Ultimate Venom was a bit like Topher.

Don't think the Gargan version would work quite as well. Better to introduce him as Scorpion first.

Flash of course has been introduced, but didn't they just de-power him in the comics? Or at least cancelled the ongoing?

I wonder if they're considering Venom as part of the six...If I recall correctly the Eddie Venom was in one incarnation during the Mackie/Bryne era.

Regarding Orci and Kurtzman, the first Star Trek movie was a success, the second, not so much...

Although I will defend them on Transformers II, it wasn't really their script on the final product, it was more that other writer (The one who wrote TF3 and the upcoming 4). Orci and Kurtzman wanted to have the plot have more to do with the rivalry between Starscream and Megatron...
    Ongoing is cancelled, but he's still with the Thunderbolts and will be joining the Guardians soon.
    Life is a waste of time, time is a waste of life, so get wasted all the time and you'll have the time of your life.

Power, Unlimited Power MythicBrawn's Avatar

The bubble is continuing to expand. How much longer before it bursts? I'm looking forward to the new X-Men movie, but I am ambivalent to ASM2. I didn't like the first ASM and the second one doesn't look all that appealing.

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher284 View Post
    Yeah, those Star Trek movies really bombed, it's not like they were critically acclaimed and massively commercially successful. Oh wait, they were. I'd definitely see a Venom movie, especially if it was Flash Thompson (I love that comic). I might see a Sinister Six film depending on what kind of movie it is. If Sony announces a Black Cat movie, I'll be really happy.
    Where did I mention anything bombing? And Into Darkness did well but was widely considered slightly disappointing for making less domestically than Star Trek did. Your attitude is endearing though! lol

As long as they keep that awesome new origin for Venom that they used in Spider-man 3, I'm in!

I mean, what great writing that was!

"Black blob falls from outer space 10 feet away from Peter Parker sitting on a park bench. No more information needed. Let's dance!"

I suspect they'll go with Flash's Venom myself, he's heroic and the US army vet with no legs taking part in a science experiment translate well to film. Maybe have Cletus Cassidy as the secondary subject, which leads to... well, you can guess. Eddie Brock could work too, though. As for Venom's origins, definitely opt for the Ultimate route - a previous OSCORP experiment taken from alien samples which Curt Connors and Richard Parker were involved with.

I'm curious how a Sinister Six film would work if they're the 'heroes'. Judging by hints in the film the present Sinister Six lineup looks to be Electro, Rhino, Harry or Norman as the Green Goblin (probably Harry in a more traditional Glider whilst Norman gets the monster look), Vulture, Doc Ock... someone else? Who would they be fighting, Peter? Another bunch of villains? Can a film with the Spider-Man rogue gallery fighting each other work? I have to admit that seeing Green Goblin and Hobgoblin battle each other would be fun.
    The rule in comics seems to be that unless you're gay, interacial or had the sense to get married in the 60's and have kids before it became out of vogue to marry and grow up, it's not gonna last.