Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default In Your Face Jam - Dec 11, 2013

Following his Thanksgiving with the X-Men, Brett rediscovers one of his favorite holiday issues and explores why tropes aren't so bad this time of year.

Full article here.

Anytime I click on the images, they never load. So if anyone can get me a zoomed in version, I'd love it :)
    Thank god comic fans are such a tiny little percentage of the audience needed for a successful film because apparently we not only hate fucking everything, we're willing to even pre-hate things...

I had this issue! I could not wait each month to get my hands on these Uncanny X-men issues, I alway got a kick out of these quite moment issues as well which in this case meant Cannonball fighting Gladiator through new york. I loved it, there was that cool little Punisher Cameo as well. I wanted Joe Mads to draw every book Marvel was putting out i would have bought all of them. sweet comic i have to find these again love it.
    Comics:

Time Displaced Victim Anotherdae's Avatar

These were great issues. There are a few more X-Men Christmas stories... Uncanny #365 was a good one.

Washington.... the state not the place with the monuments.

You can't tell me that Cannonball fighting the Gladiator isn't Christmas-y. I'm reading it this Christmas for sure.

Hell yeah, love this issue. I voted for it in my top 10 for CSBG's best X-Men stories, and it would have been #1 if I'd actually come up with a top 10 Christmas list. (yep, ahead of "Demon.")

Christmas cliches (/'traditions') are a powerful tool if you learn to wield them! Plus, crowning moment of awesome for Cannonball.

Quote Originally Posted by Westchester View Post
    Hell yeah, love this issue. I voted for it in my top 10 for CSBG's best X-Men stories, and it would have been #1 if I'd actually come up with a top 10 Christmas list. (yep, ahead of "Demon.")

Christmas cliches (/'traditions') are a powerful tool if you learn to wield them! Plus, crowning moment of awesome for Cannonball.
    wow... you guys remember when Cannonball was cool? Fighting the Gladiator and all that. I still dont' find it believable but that was a great issue. And Madureira was at the top of his game. I just can't find the appeal in his current style

was that Nick and the Contessa in the bottom right hand corner of the panel on the left in the last set of panels?

ShaunN

I'm going to have to check this out. But Cannonball lasting more than 2 seconds against Gladiator? Either Gladiator was really down in the dumps and low in confidence or that was a real Xmas miracle!

I've been a Cannonball fan since his debut, and this moment with Gladiator more than made up for the fact that he spent months written as a worse than wet-behind-the-ears, 'just got my powers yesterday' rookie when he graduated to the X-Men.

His more recent friendship with Iceman (another of my 5 favorite mutants, along with Cyclops, Colossus and Nightcrawler) has allowed him to take his place on the main stage.

I haven't followed him to the Avengers books though (not enough "page time" for the money).

Assimilation or Death Omega Alpha's Avatar

Is every column of his a "Oh, back in the days, even nostalgia was much better" style piece about 90's X-men?
    That's right! Al Gore invented the internet, let's all go kick his ass!

I got your inconvenient truth right here, motherf*&%!

Donald M.

BANNED

Ah yes, the 90's, a time when family bonds were of the utmost importance and people had nothing but unironic affection for schmaltzy Christmas themed paraphernalia. I wonder if there's anything on TVTropes that describes this column....

http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.ph...LikeItUsedToBe

Will you look at that, maybe it can be the subject of next week's article.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenozoic View Post
    I haven't followed him to the Avengers books though (not enough "page time" for the money).
    You're right about Sam not getting enough page time in Avengers
    to make it worth your while so I'll just point out the latest change in his life. He's got a new girlfriend.

In regards to the article, I can't believe a little fight against Gladiator can make so many Cannonball fans happy. For me, NOTHING can make up for taking the leader of X-Force and putting him on the X-Men as some part of graduation thing. I can't believe that this is the same Brett White who wrote the piece about X-Force #19, you know the one that established Cannonball as a leader. I'm sorry but the concept that Sam was a rookie at that point was too absurd for me to deal with (even though I'm ok with a guy who can turn his lower body into thrust and generate a forcefield).

Welcome to the Future. HeroxMatt2.0's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Alex6166 View Post
    You can't tell me that Cannonball fighting the Gladiator isn't Christmas-y. I'm reading it this Christmas for sure.
    15 years on, and it still stands the test of time!
    You are an apocalypse dreaming of butterflies
    and
    we are a patchwork of miracles.

I miss these issues. There hasn't been an X-men comic with a holiday theme in quite a while and they're usually not as good as this. I get that Marvel can only publish so many books a month. It would be nice if we could see more. Definitely helps the holiday spirit.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme