Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default DARK HORSE solicits for March 2014; Buffy's Back

Buffy: Season 10" debuts in Dark Horse's March 2014 solicitations, along with a new "Beasts of Burden" one-shot, "Hellboy" and more!

Full article here.

Damn, I knew Brian Wood had always intended for The Massive to have an ending, but I didn't think it was going to be this soon. I remember an article or tweet of his that said he had planned on it lasting 50, maybe 60 issues. But if this is it's final year (another 12 issues or so) that's 33 issues. It's been a great story, one that you know won't last forever and that it'll have an ending, but I thought maybe a little bit longer.

Dark Horse doesn't miss a month in the monthly Conan book all too often and it looks like their skipping a month as part of their transition from Brian Wood's Conan The Barbarian into the next monthly title by Fred Van Lente. But at least there is a King Conan book this month.
    Last edited by AaronJS; 12-11-2013 at 02:25 PM.

I don't have high hopes for Van Lente's Conan the Barbarian. "People of the Black Circle" #3 came out today and it was ridiculous (in the bad meaning of that term). POTBC is one of Robert E Howard's longer Conan stories yet Dark Horse and Van Lente thought it would be a wonderful idea to cram it into just 4 issues. That was a bad mistake.

The worst part of this series though is Ariel Olivetti's "art". First of all, the backgrounds are low resolution computer generated images. It's just terrible looking. Second, there's a terrible lack of dynamism in what should have been one of the most interesting parts of the story. The art for most of this series is lifeless.

Unfortunately, Dark Horse has chosen a mid-tier artist in Brian Ching for Conan the Barbarian. Ching is better suited for terrible, unread series like "Willow Wonderland" where he provided art that suited such a perfunctory Buffy Season 9 miniseries.

Brian Wood's run on Conan has been unreadable. Boring-as-hell accurately captures Brian Wood's "effort" on Conan the Barbarian. Unfortunately, Fred Van Lente does NOT appear he will be a step up from Wood.

As to DARK HORSE MARCH 2014 solicitations:

- Mignola appears to have expanded his Hellboy BPRD universe too quickly. Abe Sapien has already sputtered out and become an also-ran title not worth your time and money.

- Lobster Johnson, which should have been a breakout title, has degenerated into boring plots that are easily forgotten.

- BPRD (read: Arcudi) has perfected the art of treading water. Has the plot really advanced since the cataclysm? No.

- The ONLY bright light in the Hellboy universe is Mignola's superb "Hellboy in Hell" "series". Mignola's artistic talent is singular. It's a joy to read especially after slogging through the Arcudi-written detritus of BPRD and friends. Sadly, Hellboy in Hell only comes out infrequently, as apparently most great things do.

- Brain-Boy is brain-dead-on-arrival totally uninspired crap.

It's amazing how far DC, Marvel AND Dark Horse have fallen in quality. Perhaps a change in Editors-in-chief is called for. :)
    Last edited by il Mysterio; 12-11-2013 at 02:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    Abe Sapien has already sputtered out and become an also-ran title not worth your time and money.
    I agree. I enjoy the art but the story doesn't seem to be going anywhere and I'm close to dropping this title. It just appears that Abe is merely wondering around stumbling from one situation to another.
    Pull List: Transformers RID, Darth Vader, Superior Spiderman, Forever Evil, Injustice: Gods Amoung Us 2.

I'll be picking up The White Suits #2 for sure and maaaaybe Black Out.

Savage Sword of Conan is an Awesome series of books.
    Comics:

Another month and no AVP, DH this sucks!
    New Avengers*Unity* Shadowman* RAI* TRANSFORMERS* MILES MORALES

Maaaaybe Ghost, Blackout or Tomb Raider.

Still no AVP...

Among DH's announcements this year with AvP, they also announced a series based off of Prometheus. Where is that and why no news on that series?

beasts of burden!!!
    bprd
    dark horse presents
    the massive
    star wars
    the star wars
    star wars: legacy

maybe: the veil
    SPACE FOR RENT!

Quote Originally Posted by AaronJS View Post
    Damn, I knew Brian Wood had always intended for The Massive to have an ending, but I didn't think it was going to be this soon. I remember an article or tweet of his that said he had planned on it lasting 50, maybe 60 issues. But if this is it's final year (another 12 issues or so) that's 33 issues. It's been a great story, one that you know won't last forever and that it'll have an ending, but I thought maybe a little bit longer.
    I thought the plan was for it to run 30 issues (5 trades).

So no more Brain Boy? Thats a bummer, I really liked the first arc and was eager for more after the #0 issue.

just The Star Wars #6

Need to add Serenity to my file, but this is my sure buys for the month:

Blade of the Immortal Volume 29: Beyond Good and Evil TP
    Serenity: Leaves on the Wind #3 (of 6)
    Star Wars #15
    The Star Wars #6

Now that the Nexus story is finished I anxiously await the collected version!

The "classics":
    BPRD
    Abe Sapien
    Lobster Johnson
    The Victories
    DHP

The "old new ones":
    Halo
    X
    Ghost

The "new new ones":
    Blackout
    Catalyst
    Nosferatu Wars
    Tomb Raider
    Vandroid
    Veil
    The Witcher

No signs of AVP/Aliens/Predator/Prometheus/Colonial Marines... it sucks...

Dropped titles:
    Captain Midgnight
    Skyman

Mayyyyyyybe:
    Savage Sword of Conan if they are released in the magazine size. If not, I will try to do the original collection of the singles. That's Conan and not the pussy one by Wood...
    2000 AD of course!!!
    All Hail The Mighty Tharg