Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default THE INFINITE WAR REPORT: Hickman & Brevoort Wrap Up "Infinity"

Jonathan Hickman & Tom Brevoort join CBR for commentary and insight into "Infinity" #6 and "New Avengers" #12, the final chapters of Marvel's "Infinity" event.

Full article here.

Good article. Infinity really was amazing. I mean, it had some pacing issues and some things didn't have the impact they probably should have, but so many amazing things happened, so many iconic moments and cool stuff. The New Avengers side seemed to get the most attention having better pacing and stuff in comparison to the space stuff (which definitely needed a couple more issues), but the Avengers side was also really good. In actual fact, the content in the avengers half just alone could've easily been made into an 18 issue storyline and still probably not be enough to cover everything.

But all in all this event reminded me what I love about the comics medium; done well and you can find the perfect balance between a movie and a novel; enough spectacle to stand in awe of, and enough space between the panels to be able to use your imagination to fill in the personalised details.

I agree, this was a good article and interview. I also loved Infinity and it's tie-ins overall. It's not without flaws but man were there some epic story-telling and great moments all around.

I look forward to what Hickman has in store for the second arc of his story what with Black Swan alluding to bigger and badder threats in New Avengers #12 to come.

I must say that I really enjoyed this story arc. I almost didn't read Infinity because I was a little burnt out on events that I felt where unnecessary or didn't have a strong pay off in the end. With New Avengers I was automatically hooked with what was going on, Avengers I had a harder time getting into until the end where it all begun to start to make sense to me. I was little overwhelmed by the space stuff whereas NA felt a little more intimate. One thing I hope is that with the event over they take their time with the newer members on the Avengers team. I think we need to catch our breathes.

Some of Brevoort's answers made it sound like he had some influence within story's conception. I was wondering if anyone knows how much editors are involved in these stories and they're contributions.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

Editor's have more influence than ever. The very advent of the annual event clearly illustrates that. Do you think that creators REALLY want to do those things?

I do wonder if all the (laughs) in these interviews are genuine or if they're inserted by CBR staff to make the editor's and creators more personable...

I'm sure that I'm just being paranoid again...
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    Editor's have more influence than ever. The very advent of the annual event clearly illustrates that. Do you think that creators REALLY want to do those things?

I do wonder if all the (laughs) in these interviews are genuine or if they're inserted by CBR staff to make the editor's and creators more personable...

I'm sure that I'm just being paranoid again...
    Yeah skepticism reared its ugly head and I kinda thought the same thing about the laughs.
    Brevoort's comments seemed like he helped construct the actual story or that's the way I read it. That's why I wondered if anyone knew what he did in this event and exactly how the editors in comics do their thing. I always thought that they organized writers and artists and also went through the stories to make sure they jive with the rest of the existing universe. Kinda like the guys that make sure the trains run on time sort of thing. This interview made it seem like there's more to it and very hands on with the actual story telling.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

Is it too much to hope for Kireon Gillen to write the Aftermath/Epilogue to the series which would no doubt be better than the series as a whole? Avengers Vs. X-Men: Consequences was the only good thing to come out of the hot mess that was AvX.

Also why did Infinity have 2 epilogues.... lol.
    Last edited by junir; 12-10-2013 at 09:19 AM.

I don't buy any of this. In my opinion it was a rather boring story. I am not sure what even happened in it which is saying alot because it was 26 issues lol. First of all, that is ridiculous that it took that many issues. Secondly the Builders was just a trope to get the Avengers out of Earth so Marvel can use Inhumans in its Cinematic Universe. Let's call a spade a spade here. Thanos's brigade were all one notes. I don't even understand how a powerful Builder didn't notice a giant Hammer coming for him. I just thought this was really boring; pretty, but really boring. Then I LOLed when Tom was like "Having so many Avengers is dumb that's why we only used 5" meanwhile ENJOY AVENGERS WORLD! Am I the only one who was confounded by that? You show rather than tell. Show the other Avengers battling other fights. It amazes me that 26 issues of story telling and yet so much basic story telling was missing. Not my cup of tea. I am okay being in the minority on this. Also the whole "We don't do events where people die" lie was pretty funny. That's pretty all they did for a long time. Marvel hasn't really impressed me with their events lately. ~~Read Saga and smile.

Quote Originally Posted by BizzleTheBear View Post
    I don't buy any of this. In my opinion it was a rather boring story. I am not sure what even happened in it which is saying alot because it was 26 issues lol. First of all, that is ridiculous that it took that many issues. Secondly the Builders was just a trope to get the Avengers out of Earth so Marvel can use Inhumans in its Cinematic Universe. Let's call a spade a spade here. Thanos's brigade were all one notes. I don't even understand how a powerful Builder didn't notice a giant Hammer coming for him. I just thought this was really boring; pretty, but really boring. Then I LOLed when Tom was like "Having so many Avengers is dumb that's why we only used 5" meanwhile ENJOY AVENGERS WORLD! Am I the only one who was confounded by that? You show rather than tell. Show the other Avengers battling other fights. It amazes me that 26 issues of story telling and yet so much basic story telling was missing. Not my cup of tea. I am okay being in the minority on this. Also the whole "We don't do events where people die" lie was pretty funny. That's pretty all they did for a long time. Marvel hasn't really impressed me with their events lately. ~~Read Saga and smile.
    You're not really in the minority in this, I don't think. I'm a strong believer that there is a large sect of lapsed Marvel fans now taking their business elsewhere. (I'm basically only buying new Image books and Sixth Gun along with classic Marvel/DC collections). You just no longer buy Marvel's Kool-Aid and aren't critically blinded by your love for the characters. These events stretch a very thin premise far beyond their level of complexity. Anyone with eyes wide open can see this.
    "I was handed a chocolate bar and an M-1 rifle and told to go kill Hitler."--Jack "King" Kirby

Dang, it seems whenever I start following something as a lapse fan, the regulars all get pissed off and leave. Loved the interview. Loved the event much more. Thought it was a great reintroduction to Marvel.

Infinity was best Marvel event in years and Hickman is the company's new writing god. All that needs to be said.

Hickman/Brevoot were absolutely right to just leave the final fight to just Cap/Hulk/Thor/Hyperion/Ms. Marvel. Too many heroes fighting 1 (or in this case 3) guys gets old fast, and beyond Cap (who was obligated to be there) the other Avengers could all at least take multiple beatings against Thanos/Proxima/Glaive. Made the fight more personal and entertaining.
    Last edited by Megaharrison; 12-10-2013 at 02:49 PM.

Why does Brevoort blab so much? Who actually writes the series, lol?

Hickman: It would have been a good thing for the universe in the short term [if the Earth was destroyed in an Incursion]. For the long term, though, other universes would keep dying and therefore the overall multiverse continues to barrel forward toward oblivion.

Here is an indication from the writer that Incursions are not going to stop but continue in a way that the multiverse dies early.

Another thing brought up is how far does Thanes "death" effect range? 200 yards, or 200 miles? Why didn't all people on Earth die when his powers came into effect? From what Hickman says, Thane killed everyone he knows in Greenland.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

one hundred ways to die Centipede Damascus's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brannon View Post
    I'm a strong believer that there is a large sect of lapsed Marvel fans now taking their business elsewhere. (I'm basically only buying new Image books and Sixth Gun along with classic Marvel/DC collections). You just no longer buy Marvel's Kool-Aid and aren't critically blinded by your love for the characters. These events stretch a very thin premise far beyond their level of complexity. Anyone with eyes wide open can see this.
    There's always going to be lapsed fans, and there's always going to be new fans. The fact is though that Marvel doing better business now than they have in over a decade. The amount of lapsed fans is negligible against the amount of people continuing to purchase and enjoy their product.