Default American vampire: Second cycle

Ran into this while browsing Vertigo website.

http://www.vertigocomics.com/comics/...second-cycle-1

I will, hopefully, post updates as of March 2014.

I can't wait for this series to start back up again. I could do without the "subtitle" but after such a long hiatus, I suppose it makes sense to update it.

I saw the image at NYCC. I love it. Predator Hippy Pearl is such a great contrast to Victim Flapper Pear in the first volume.

Heh, they are starting over with #1 and not #35. Maybe it will bring in some new readers.

Can't wait !!

living on the dolmantle eye of all's Avatar

Damn, I've been meaning to get caught up on this for ages. Hopefully this will be the proverbial good jumping on point.

Starting over at #1 is immensely silly, especially so early in a run of one writer. Not even Vertigo books can help themselves from the Marvel/DC silly hype tactics playbook.

Of course, happy the book will be back regardless of the number on the cover, but it is to me something that lacks integrity. But I'm sure DC suggested it and Scott ran with it, editorial seems to be very hands on there. Hopefully they don't screw up the book.

And to somebody who'll reply and say "why do you care?", to them I say DC should send you issues with random numbers on the covers, just to mess with you.

Any book that renumbers before 50 loses 50 cool points. That's just mathematics, I didn't make it up, it's science.
    Last edited by PsychoGoatee; 12-16-2013 at 08:30 PM.
    DROKK IT!!

Quote Originally Posted by PsychoGoatee View Post
    Any book that renumbers before 50 loses 50 cool points. That's just mathematics, I didn't make it up, it's science.
    So, the entire Marvel line? They can't even make it out of the teens anymore without reverting back to a #1.

Quote Originally Posted by gloryhound View Post
    I can't wait for this series to start back up again. I could do without the "subtitle" but after such a long hiatus, I suppose it makes sense to update it.
    Completely agree. I hope we don't see "second cycle" on each book that comes out. I get that people want a "new jumping on point" but c'mon, they should really be reading this series from the beginning and the publishers should encourage that.

My guess is the whole 'Second Cycle' is like saying 'Season 2' in television. It gives them a reason to start over with a new #1 issue too. So I'm guessing we will see Second Cycle on the cover for this entire new run.

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    My guess is the whole 'Second Cycle' is like saying 'Season 2' in television. It gives them a reason to start over with a new #1 issue too. So I'm guessing we will see Second Cycle on the cover for this entire new run.
    Exactly, end of first cycle had turning point which will probably change things in general.
    So, starting with whole second-cycle-thing makes a lot of sense.
    Also, if re-numbering issues boost sales, better.

I... I really don't get why people love this series. It has some good moments (Pearl is great), but the story progresses extremely slowly and the main story (the one with Pearl) gets interrupted all the time, I know that's the point, but to me it's very frustrating. Vol 1 and 2 were great, but then it's sort been meh to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenish lantern View Post
    I... I really don't get why people love this series. It has some good moments (Pearl is great), but the story progresses extremely slowly and the main story (the one with Pearl) gets interrupted all the time, I know that's the point, but to me it's very frustrating. Vol 1 and 2 were great, but then it's sort been meh to me.
    The jumping around takes some getting used too but I really love it. It's fun to go through the different decades and see what Skinner is up too during historical events like World War 2. The artwork is excellent and the characters are great.

I haven't read this series. I'm hoping this is a good jumping on point. Kind of expensive to pick up 34 issues or 5 trades.

Quote Originally Posted by jrphoenix View Post
    I haven't read this series. I'm hoping this is a good jumping on point. Kind of expensive to pick up 34 issues or 5 trades.
    You can get them pretty cheap on this site. And free shipping if your order is over $50.00......

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/A...R%29/JUL110284

Quote Originally Posted by daningotham View Post
    You can get them pretty cheap on this site. And free shipping if your order is over $50.00......

http://www.instocktrades.com/TP/DC/A...R%29/JUL110284
    Cool.. ordering now :)