Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Agents of SHIELD" EP Says Upcoming Episodes are "More in the Marvel Direction"

On midseason finale eve, "Agents of SHIELD" executive producer Jeffrey Bell tells CBR News fans will feel more of a Marvel influence on the show.

Full article here.

This show has been good but a bit slow. I'm eager to see the groundwork come together and make this show what it should be - great.

Interesting. I wonder a) if this was always the plan, b) if the plan was always to test how the fan/critic wind was blowing halfway to mid-season and change course accordingly, or c) if this is a desperate move.

While I think the fan backlash has been overblown, this is definitely a show in need of significant improvement (particularly if it's going to be REALLY REALLY GOOD some day). I understand that Bell can't come out and say "we did a lot of things wrong" but I'm also not convinced by this interview that he understands what needs to be fixed.

That said, I'm always happy to be wrong about these things!

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by MRMIRACLE View Post
    Interesting. I wonder a) if this was always the plan, b) if the plan was always to test how the fan/critic wind was blowing halfway to mid-season and change course accordingly, or c) if this is a desperate move.
    I think it's a combination of b and c. The show got tremendous promotion from ABC before the launch, but has stagnated in the ratings. With American Idol about to ramp up, and the Thor connection being the one that blipped upwards, leaning towards more classic Marvel storytelling might get them better groundswell. It's certainly working for Arrow, which has just introduced Barry Allen and has dropped quite a number of references to Ra's Al Ghul and the League Of Assassins.

Quote Originally Posted by Drew Melbourne View Post
    While I think the fan backlash has been overblown, this is definitely a show in need of significant improvement (particularly if it's going to be REALLY REALLY GOOD some day). I understand that Bell can't come out and say "we did a lot of things wrong" but I'm also not convinced by this interview that he understands what needs to be fixed.

That said, I'm always happy to be wrong about these things!
    Well said. Not really getting a sense that he addresses the show's detractors with anything but to expect some call outs to previous episodes. But really, the Coulson thing has been dragged out for 3 months now -- it's more annoying than interesting to me.

The know they need a season 2. It needs to get weird and Marvel-y if they want that to happen.

If the CW can namecheck R'as and The League of Assassins, there's nothing that says this show can't drop in MODOK or Zodiac.

Quote Originally Posted by DocSpin View Post
    Well said. Not really getting a sense that he addresses the show's detractors with anything but to expect some call outs to previous episodes. But really, the Coulson thing has been dragged out for 3 months now -- it's more annoying than interesting to me.
    That's definitely it. I was interested the first two or three episodes - they should've pulled the trigger on it right away...or at least during a sweeps month and let it simmer in the background.

I am one of the fans that has been disappointed by this series. I only made it up to half of the second episode. Boy was Skye (aka the Felicity ripoff) annoying. I couldn't stand her or Agent Ward (aka cardboard cutout man). There was just too much hype and it couldn't live up to it at all. I hope things improve in the second half for the sake of the people watching the show, but I doubt I'll return to it. Looking forward to the other Marvel series though (Daredevil, etc.) as well as the DC ones (Gotham, Constantine and Flash especially).
    Saga UncannyAvengers AmazingXMen AllNewXFactor XForce Magneto Loki Nightcrawler Inhuman Deadpool
    Awaiting: Wicked+Divine SpiderMan2099

Yeah, unfortunately the show sucks; having a few good episodes here and there but none of the good ones being written by the show-runners Jed Whedon and his woman (except how they helped with episode one in which Joss Whedon was more directly involved). That being said, I will continue watching the show no matter how terrible it can be to stay up-to-date with the MCU continuity, in which I've subscribed myself to until Joss Whedon leaves (presumably after the third Avengers movie).

All they really need to do is demote Jed Whedon as showrunner and the show can ultimately be better in quality; it just seems to be a lack of effort and ambition in the episodes he's in charge of.

They seriously need to cull some of these generic characters and put in some new and hopefully interesting ethnically diverse characters. At least kill one of those scientists.

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    The know they need a season 2. It needs to get weird and Marvel-y if they want that to happen.

If the CW can namecheck R'as and The League of Assassins, there's nothing that says this show can't drop in MODOK or Zodiac.
    Name checking doesn't make a show good. A good script makes a show good. DC seems to know how to do that with their tv shows. This show is horrible period. Whatever they are building to it doesn't have to be bad on it's way there. Just dropping a name will only make me more upset if the writing is bad.

Quote Originally Posted by Motown Buddy View Post
    All they really need to do is demote Jed Whedon as showrunner and the show can ultimately be better in quality; it just seems to be a lack of effort and ambition in the episodes he's in charge of.
    Disney should have known better.

Whedon's Angel was hurt by switching networks and fumbled without Buffy. Firefly couldn't adapt to the sudden changes Fox made, and Serenity corrected them too late. Dollhouse was given chances due to the Whedon fan base, and not only was it unable to succeed, it required knowledge of an unaired episode to understand the finale.

Whedon redeemed himself as director with Marvel's Avengers. But nothing else he has done has really pulled in Buffy-like responses, and Disney should have put someone who understood how to handle network television in charge of the series.

Quote Originally Posted by hysang View Post
    CW isn't namechecking, though; it's referenced them in clear connection to what's going on in those particular episodes. For those that don't watch Arrow, the League is how Sarah was able to survive after the shipwreck. It's also what Malcolm Merlyn is running from after healing in Nanda Parbat. Dr. Ivo was looking for the miracle cure on behalf of the League, and that's what healed Slade Wilson. It all fits together, and the constant suggestion is that the League is interested in Starling City.

ABC's done none of those things with SHIELD. SHIELD's best chance was to have Coulson keep mentioning Stark or an oversight committee, with the building up of appearances from various key agents leading to Fury. Instead, they dumped Fury in right away and made it a joke. Victoria Hand's comment that they aren't typical SHIELD agents isn't followed up on as they are rule breakers. If they brought in AIM or MODOK, they'd have to end up with them and I think the special effects budget isn't planned for that.

Picture Book Liker

I will be both pleasantly surprised and curiously confused if the magical place that is "Tahiti" doesn't turn out to be the LMD factory. Surprised that they don't take the obvious way out. Confused as to what actually happened to Coulson. So far it's really the only thing that has kept my interest up to this point. The show is okay, but the writers really need to step up their game if they want to make it to season 2.
    Currently Reading: Hawkeye, Jupiter's Legacy, Mighty Avengers, Saga, Superior Spider-Man & Superior Foes (Bye: Fearless Defenders & Young Avengers)