Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Young Avengers, #13

The final battle with Mother sets the storytelling bar even higher for Kieron Gillen and Jamie McKelvie's "Young Avengers" #13

Full review here.

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

All these 4 and 5 star reviews... sooooo much love!

MY TWO FAVOURITE PARTS:
    • Marvel's cutest couple gets an epic and touching reunion that saves the universe, as true love and adorableness so often do. The simplicity and ease with which Billy and Teddy decide to trust one another again has more emotional impact than a longer or wordier aproach might, and as usual McKelvie draws some of the most expressive and readable faces in comics today.
    • In short, this issue somehow manages to raise the already high bar for this series. When it matters, the "Young Avengers" are too smart to be subtle and too earnest to be ironic, yet they still pull off the self-awareness and sly charm of both. It's a tough tightrope to walk, but the creative team captures this tone again and again.

"I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

Can someone help me out here:

Was what Loki doing intentional, or the unconscious act of his own guilty conscience?

If anyone can flat out explain it to me, it'd be appreciated.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

LOVE SAVES EVERYONE! I hope Gillen knows how much the end of this series is going to affect me. I am gonna be a wreck at the end of the afterparty haha. Seriously, everyone involved in this series needs an award asap-ity :D
    Can't imagine the world without me

BUY LOKI: AGENT OF ASGARD Kieran_Frost's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Can someone help me out here:
    Was what Loki doing intentional, or the unconscious act of his own guilty conscience?
    If anyone can flat out explain it to me, it'd be appreciated.
    I'll do the best I can...

When Loki "borrowed" Wiccan's powers in issue #5, he accidentally (due to guilt) used the reality altering powers to "create" both ConsciousLoki and Leah (and her "Avengers"). The spell was only "undone" when (current) Loki confessed that he killed his younger self (KidLoki), a trap set up by his older self (VillainLoki). It IS confusing, but always glorious.
    "I don't know how to please you Lord, but I think the fact I try to please you, pleases you."

i know i'm going to get some negative backlash for this... but i didn't read JiM and i was not aware at all of the complicated issues with Kid Loki.. so this issue felt bland to me.
    instead of feeling like everything was building up to this moment, i felt disappointed that the whole Evil Exes were magical constructs... it felt so pointless.
    i agree with what has been said about Gillen focusing on Kid Loki, he should have just continued his JiM run or have a mini or something, this wasn't very interesting.
    the conflict between Billy & Teddy was wrapped up pretty easily, i mean, Loki was the first to seed doubts in Teddy and it's like he doesn't mind that now.
    what was Marvel Boy doing in this series other than providing a ship and a lot of exes?
    i think this whole run, up until issue #13 should have been done as a 6 issue arc, maybe even 5. it would have served as a good start and then go on from there. overall, the series has been too long and has little content. a major problem was "magic", as a key element, becomes very convenient. it can be used without further explanation than "it's magic".
    Mother was just as powerful as the story needed her to be, Loki was just as powerful as the story needed him to be, and so on...
    I'm disappointed Gillen doesn't have more stories to tell with the Young Avengers, even with a different artist, this felt utterly flat, short and lacking.
    IMHO.
    Comic Book Deaths 2012
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K7SvM6adTeY

Bring back Ultimate DAZZLER!!