Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Inhumanity, #1

Following the fall of Atillan, Matt Fraction and Olivier Coipel recount the history of the Inhumans through Karnak in "Inhumanity" #1.

Full review here.

I think the Avengers are going to be not involved with this. They collected Karnak, heard his story, and saw him die, but the Avengers are not picking up the pieces of this. They go away and spend Christmas in the Tower. SHIELD gets the heavy load of this event because nobody is the bad guy here. SHIELD cleans up with other interested parties, like Hydra, foraging for cocoons, because it isn't a world threatening situation. If the Inhumans decide to start trouble, I think the Avengers then get a call.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

Did anyone wonder why the main Avengers team took Karnak into custody but the New Avengers cast is the one that ultimately does the interrogation? Where did they come from -- and where did Hawkeye go?

It did sort of feel incongruous to the flow of the sequences. It seemed the Illuminati sequence was a later incident, but I'm not sure if they attended as just interested super humans or as the Illuminati. They could have teleported in, at Iron Mans request, just to get some intel on Black Bolt, one of their members.
    Visited NY and DC and saw Spider-Man Turn off the Dark.

The Avengers maybe won't take care of this , but the Illuminatis probably will , I would be surprised to see SHIELD handling something major like this , which isn't about humans but Inhumans .
    Also like jackolover said it , the sequence with the Illuminatis felt weird in the sense like if they gathered like "Hey guys we're secretly doing risky stuff and all but hey , it doesn't matter we're just passing through , don't mind us" for me
    Also , I'm shocked to see a four star review for a first issue which is decent but not excellent

What an absolutely unnecessary, uncalled for and ridiculous character death/suicide in that issue. Completely turned me off from reading any more of the Inhumanity issues. Wish I could get my money back.

Veteran Member

I think they should kill off Black Bolt, Medusa, Crystal, Gorgon, Triton, Lockjaw, Maximus, and any other originals I'm forgetting as well, just to drive home the point that this story was never about the Inhumans in the first place.

But yeah, I also think writers should know better by now than to think these arbitrary deaths of well-known characters make any real dramatic impact at all.

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    What an absolutely unnecessary, uncalled for and ridiculous character death/suicide in that issue. Completely turned me off from reading any more of the Inhumanity issues. Wish I could get my money back.
    I wasn't as critical but Karnak's death was an eye-rolling moment.

It felt like a desperate attempt to inject some plot into a massive info dump. And Grant Morrison did the "aliens improve cavemen" thing way better in Seven Soldiers #1.