Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default TV RATINGS: Tracking "Marvel's Agents of SHIELD"

Critics have their issues with the show, but how is "Agents of SHIELD" really doing? CBR's Steve Sunu takes a look at the numbers.

Full article here.

BANNED

The only thing saving SHIELD right now is that literally every other freshman show on ABC is on track for cancelation and networks rarely purge an entire freshman class since it makes they look like they wasted an entire year. ABC is such a disaster right now that most of the brass are likely to be canceled as well.

Don't mistake being the least terribly rated freshman show with being a hit. ABC is going to need a substantial creative and casting reboot if they expect people to ever look away from NCIS ever again. It'll take more than stunt casting RDjr or Sam Jackson to do that.

So far, this is Dollhouse with a Disney budget. ABC needs a Firefly quality show but will settle for an Angel quality one if they can get that good.

What's Best For Business Sub-Zero MKA's Avatar

Figured that the only show AoS can't be is an established and popular show like NCIS. Hopefully this will help people here see that the show isn't doing nearly as poorly as they want to think and isn't deserving of being canceled.

Who am I kidding? No it won't.

SHIELD isn't terrible, it's just bland.

It benefits from being one rung better than the rest of the crap on tv. Once it starts really taking advantage of its own universe, it ought to get better. Right now, its not doing that. I'd say if fans don't see (a) more interesting twists, and (b) greater integration with the MCU, less "original" creations by the season 1 finale/season 2 opener, then they'll really abandon the show.

Right now, audiences are giving SHIELD a pass.
    $3.99 IS TOO MUCH FOR A COMIC!

The most important thing not discussed in this article is how is SHIELD doing in relation to other shows on the ABC. This is the most important factor in determining whether a show gets cancelled or not, because that's the show's real competition. SHIELD is the third highest rated drama on ABC (after Grey's and Scandal), and fourth rated show on the network (because you add those two dramas plus Modern Family). So it's a success by those measures. Anyone who thinks its getting cancelled knows nothing about television ratings.

amazing how much CBR tries to hype this show

wow didn't realize Dads and Brooklyn Nine Nine were doing so badly. Fox isn't as strong as it was in the past

Quote Originally Posted by anthony! View Post
    I'd say if fans don't see (a) more interesting twists, and (b) greater integration with the MCU, less "original" creations by the season 1 finale/season 2 opener, then they'll really abandon the show.

Right now, audiences are giving SHIELD a pass.
    I'd say most of the audience aren't comic book fans, so point (b) doesn't really matter and won't lead to abandonment. As for point (a) they've actually had a number of twists for only 9 episodes in, and I'd argue most have been interesting.
    A lot of people get sentience confused for sapience. Your hamster is sentient, you are sapient. Intelligence is sapience.

Nice article but I don't understand why the Live+3 or Live+7 ratings weren't used at all. SHIELD has consistently increased it's ratings and viewership by an average of 50% when the DVR and streaming viewership is added. Networks uses overnight ratings less and less as more of the demo move away from live viewing to DVR and other streams.
    writer: The Venger: Dead Man Rising

Twitter-Facebook-Email-VENGER

Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    wow didn't realize Dads and Brooklyn Nine Nine were doing so badly. Fox isn't as strong as it was in the past
    Have you seen those shows? I am surprised anyone is watching them.

Quote Originally Posted by Matt Spatola View Post
    Nice article but I don't understand why the Live+3 or Live+7 ratings weren't used at all. SHIELD has consistently increased it's ratings and viewership by an average of 50% when the DVR and streaming viewership is added. Networks uses overnight ratings less and less as more of the demo move away from live viewing to DVR and other streams.
    Hey Matt,

This is an excellent question. The Live+3 and Live+7 data isn't publicly released on a regular basis. It's provided to networks by Nielsen, and the networks can then choose to release that data. "Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D." had live+3 data released for one or two select episodes, and Live+7 is only available for the pilot. Plus, it was difficult to find any Live+3 or Live+7 data for any of the other shows I compared it to. Basically, I would have used the data if it was publicly available for the show. I agree that it would have made for a stronger piece, but it's only possible to judge on the available data.

Steve

EDIT: The Live+3 data and the Live+7 data is available -- though, finding it for shows from previous years will be more difficult. Expect a follow-up piece with this data as the season gets more of a shape.

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

amazing that a successful show by all accounts is constantly talked poorly about by people that dont watch it. i appreciate that there are things the show doesnt do that people would like to see it do.. i agree with some of the criticism. the show isnt 100% targeted to us though

is it the highest rated tv show on TV?... no, so what?

Quote Originally Posted by gaveedra View Post
    Have you seen those shows? I am surprised anyone is watching them.
    lol this is your first post

but no I haven't watched those shows

Quote Originally Posted by FriendRoss View Post
    amazing that a successful show by all accounts is constantly talked poorly about by people that dont watch it. i appreciate that there are things the show doesnt do that people would like to see it do.. i agree with some of the criticism. the show isnt 100% targeted to us though

is it the highest rated tv show on TV?... no, so what?
    Oh I wouldn't say it's comic stuff that has me disapointed with the show it's the absolutely atrocious acting. Coupled with absolute cliche cast of characters. And I peer in time to time and none of that has changed.
    Just say no to lame Ultimate replacement characters.

I've seen a few episodes of the show, and it's good enough to keep me interested, though obviously it's not yet something I can't miss. I'd break it down this way:

STRENGTHS:

A great universe to play in and draw from. It's hard to remember at times that this isn't just another spy show, though, so they need to start using that mythos more strongly. But once they do (and I realize they have some limitations in terms of budget, licensing, movie tie-ins, etc.) things could really get cooking.

Crisp, memorable and intelligent dialogue (no surprise, with Whedon involved)

A very strong and likeable (as well as mysterious) lead in Coulson.

WEAKNESSES:

I grow a bit weary of casts being dominated by folks in their 20's. We have Coulson and Ming Na Wen's character who are over thirty, but the rest are young and hot, which ends of being a bit dull to me. Mix it up a little and have more veteran characters join.

The budding romance angles and triangles are becoming cliche as well. I know every drama has to have at least the hint of romance, but let's for once have the characters either have romances with civilians or off screen folks. Every scene doesn't have to have "sexual tension" as a sub component.

In sum, I like it, but I don't yet NEED to watch it. I'll keep monitoring, though.