Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 101
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,982

    Default Pak Puts Lana Lang Front And Center In "Action Comics"

    "Action Comics" writer Greg Pak discusses the new Lana Lang, the opening issues of his run and the humanity -- and insecurities -- of Clark Kent, AKA Superman.


    Full article here.

  2. #2
    Veteran Member Fate's Faith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,371

    Default

    I, for one, believe there's never been enough Lana. Glad someone remembered her finally.

  3. #3
    Junior Member hanson724's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Northern California
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Good interview and a great issue!

  4. #4
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    I wonder why "Lois wasn't available" to Pak. The coma Lobdell put her in? I hope not. Because if that's ongoing, then Pak should at least be showing Clark caring for and visiting his dear friend as she clings to life. I imagine no one wants Clark to come across as insensitive. Furthermore, a character not being available is not something a text understands. If the larger inner workings of DC Comics has made Lois unavailable, then it behooves Pak as a writer to come up with an in-text explanation for why she's missing from the story.
    "I love that she’s human. You need that juxtaposed to the perfection of Superman. [Lois] has this absolute loyalty for what is good and just, and it parallels what Superman is." – Erica Durance

  5. #5
    King of My World CagedLeo730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I wonder why "Lois wasn't available" to Pak. The coma Lobdell put her in? I hope not. Because if that's ongoing, then Pak should at least be showing Clark caring for and visiting his dear friend as she clings to life. I imagine no one wants Clark to come across as insensitive. Furthermore, a character not being available is not something a text understands. If the larger inner workings of DC Comics has made Lois unavailable, then it behooves Pak as a writer to come up with an in-text explanation for why she's missing from the story.
    I think Lois woke up from her coma at the end of Psi-War. She's gonna be fed to Parasite next by Lobdell. Then she has her one-shot by Marguerite Bennett.

  6. #6
    Veteran Member Fate's Faith's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    5,371

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    I wonder why "Lois wasn't available" to Pak. The coma Lobdell put her in? I hope not. Because if that's ongoing, then Pak should at least be showing Clark caring for and visiting his dear friend as she clings to life. I imagine no one wants Clark to come across as insensitive. Furthermore, a character not being available is not something a text understands. If the larger inner workings of DC Comics has made Lois unavailable, then it behooves Pak as a writer to come up with an in-text explanation for why she's missing from the story.
    Hopefully she's unavailable because she's got her own ongoing to have stories in. And these could be before the hospital stay or after. Plus she might not be speaking to him since he fed her to the Parasite.

  7. #7
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by CagedLeo730 View Post
    I think Lois woke up from her coma at the end of Psi-War. She's gonna be fed to Parasite next by Lobdell. Then she has her one-shot by Marguerite Bennett.
    Has she woken up yet, though? If not, then she's still in the hospital. If she's not, and she is awake because Action is taking place further in the future, then why would Pak think she was unavailable. Even being in the one-shot, while great (really looking forward to it), doesn't explain why Pak would see that as a limitation.

    Quote Originally Posted by Fate's Faith View Post
    Hopefully she's unavailable because she's got her own ongoing to have stories in. And these could be before the hospital stay or after. Plus she might not be speaking to him since he fed her to the Parasite.
    I don't understand, though. Having an ongoing doesn't make a character vanish from their typical milieu, including their home, friends, and job which, I imagine, would all intersect with Superman's world in Action. I doubt Lois would be angry (or perhaps even aware) about the use of Parasite to save her life.

    Basically, something seems fishy to me.
    "I love that she’s human. You need that juxtaposed to the perfection of Superman. [Lois] has this absolute loyalty for what is good and just, and it parallels what Superman is." – Erica Durance

  8. #8
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Posts
    2,126

    Default

    Pak sounds a really good writer for Superman, who gets the new modern one. Not a bully but neither a wuss. I dig his take on Lana too. Nice to see a writer that generous and progressive when it comes to the women in Superman's life.

  9. #9
    Senior Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,690

    Default

    Pak's interview was a little more interesting than the usual comic writer interview. Whenever someone talks about the hero being an "outsider," I kind of shudder, because often times the first thing I think is that this book is going to be about a whining hero. However, then I read this:

    "Clark loves who he is"

    That makes me feel more optimistic as a reader. It means we might actually get more of what I like (see above quote), and a non-detrimental mix of not quite fitting in that makes me no longer like X-Men.

  10. #10
    Senior Member misslane38's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2011
    Posts
    4,564

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by thepenguin View Post
    Nice to see a writer that generous and progressive when it comes to the women in Superman's life.
    How so? Generous and progressive in the way he characterizes those women or generous and progressive in the array of women he utilizes? I'm not saying you're wrong, by the way. I'm just curious what inspired your praise or what you mean by it. You don't have to answer, if you don't want to.
    "I love that she’s human. You need that juxtaposed to the perfection of Superman. [Lois] has this absolute loyalty for what is good and just, and it parallels what Superman is." – Erica Durance

  11. #11
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,295

    Default

    Heh!! Pak said WW is a Superman supporting character now.
    I like Pak.
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

  12. #12
    King of My World CagedLeo730's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Brooklyn
    Posts
    2,695

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by misslane38 View Post
    Has she woken up yet, though? If not, then she's still in the hospital. If she's not, and she is awake because Action is taking place further in the future, then why would Pak think she was unavailable. Even being in the one-shot, while great (really looking forward to it), doesn't explain why Pak would see that as a limitation.
    He was probably told by his editor, Eddie Berganza, who runs the Superman group that she was unavailable. It's probably that simple.

  13. #13

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by super1man View Post
    Heh!! Pak said WW is a Superman supporting character now.
    I like Pak.
    Well, not to be overly pedantic, but I don't think he actually said that. He said, "Wonder Woman is obviously playing a key role in Soule's book." That's a far-cry from actually labelling her a supporting character. When he mentioned that Superman has many female supporting characters (but didn't mention names) I think he was implying the more official supporting characters ie Lana, Lois, Cat, etc. When mentioned the "key role" of WW, not "supporting role", I think it suggests a more equal billing notion that the SM/WW book has. Still, it all comes down to one's own POV

    BTW I'm glad that we finally get to see Lana and Clark in a story together ... it's been a bit overdue

  14. #14
    Senior Member Superlad93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,547

    Default

    In Pak we trust. Seriously thought this guy just says all the right thing in and out of the comic book. That's a rare sight. I particularly enjoyed what he said about Lana and Clark and their relationship to one another. Lana inspired Clark. Her heroism inspires Clark's in part and Clark's does the same for her. I thought as much!

    Then I absolutely loved what he said about them individually. Clark being a bit of a monster yet being ok with that is a new take that I'm very interested in. Lana feeling her home town was too small for her and her need to help just really struck a nice cord with me I must admit.

  15. #15
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2012
    Posts
    4,295

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by davidgrantlloyd View Post
    Well, not to be overly pedantic, but I don't think he actually said that. He said, "Wonder Woman is obviously playing a key role in Soule's book." That's a far-cry from actually labelling her a supporting character. When he mentioned that Superman has many female supporting characters (but didn't mention names) I think he was implying the more official supporting characters ie Lana, Lois, Cat, etc. When mentioned the "key role" of WW, not "supporting role", I think it suggests a more equal billing notion that the SM/WW book has. Still, it all comes down to one's own POV

    BTW I'm glad that we finally get to see Lana and Clark in a story together ... it's been a bit overdue
    He said:
    "I'm always up for expanding the supporting cast and exploring the supporting cast, and I particularly love the fact that there are multiple really awesome women in Superman's supporting cast. Wonder Woman of course is playing a key role in Charles [Soule's] book "

    The first name he mentioned after Superman's Supporting cast, in the same sequence is WW. I take it as him calling WW a supporting cast of Superman.
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •