Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Hellboy in Hell, #5

"Hellboy in Hell" #5 has Mike Mignola's new series return with a one-off story about a lost soul, and which reminds that the comic tell all sorts of stories, so long as they're set in Hell.

Full review here.

I've always heard great things about Hellboy, but I never jumped off the fence, more so because I'm a completist, and I figured that I was to far behind, but after reading this review, fuck it, I'm sold...

Quote Originally Posted by agent_graves View Post
    I've always heard great things about Hellboy, but I never jumped off the fence, more so because I'm a completist, and I figured that I was to far behind, but after reading this review, fuck it, I'm sold...
    Your never too far behind to start!
    There are 12 trades from the Hellboy storyline so far (theres some spinoff stuff) but if you just got those trades, you would have 12 of the finest comics to ever sit on your shelf
    Ars longa, vita brevis
    www.mscorley.blogspot.com

Just go ahead and start with the Libraries. You'll love them...

See, that's the thing, I hate tpb's, that's my problem, although I wouldn't mind a nice HC, so those libaray editions, are most likely the route I'll take, gotta get them at a discounted price though, so I can get two at a time...

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

If you've never read Hellboy, you'd be foolish to shell out 30-40 for one of the library editions. You really should borrow the first few story arcs to see if you dig Hellboy before you start shelling out for them. I started by buying the first two trades and while I enjoyed the first trade, the second kind of bored me, I then borrowed the third just to be 100% sure it wasn't for me and well, it wasn't for me. I was just glad I picked up the two trades on Ebay for 10 dollars instead of blowing 18 or 20 a pop like I believe they go for in comic book stores. Yes, Hellboy gets a lot of praise from a lot of comic book fans and I imagine it is because Mignola is a talented story teller, its just the story didn't do it for me, and it may not do it for you.

It's kind of like how I honestly think Lady Gaga has talent, I just don't like what she uses her talent to create. I think she'd have been a far better rock front woman, but there's more money to be made from doing dancey pop music and those meat dresses aren't cheap.
    Last edited by Anthony Devianza; 12-06-2013 at 11:58 PM.
    Current Pull List: The Walking Dead and Revival

Yeah that's fair enough. I just figure if he's going to buy anything, it might as well be the first LE. They really aren't any more expensive than buying 2 of the trades (which they contain basically) and if he does like the book he's likely end up wanting the LE's anyway.

But as for not liking Hellboy, boy...that's a huge head-scratcher for me. Just doesn't compute. I absolutely love the stuff - especially with Mignola doing the artwork. Such a perfect blend of humor and sadness and such a rich mythology! I was a big fan of The Goon (still am to a degree) but when I started reading Hellboy I realized Goon was really just Hellboy with a big dollup of Mad Magazine-style silliness thrown in and frankly it was that silliness that was the one thing I sorta didn't like about The Goon. Hellboy has the perfect mix for me...
    Last edited by Zevious Zoquis; 12-07-2013 at 07:28 AM.

Does anyone know when Hellboy # 6 comes out?

Thanks for the advice guys, I think I like Hellboy enough, just of hearsay and great word of mouth, to at least give it a try, push come to shove, if I don't like the Libaray Edition, I can always sell it back to my lcs for cash or store credit...

Snarky Infested Anthony Devianza's Avatar

Your LCS buys back stuff? Well in that case, just get the LE. The CS's out here, there's no exchange/refund policy and the only thing they buy back these days is TWD stuff.
    Current Pull List: The Walking Dead and Revival