Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Daredevil's" Darkest Nights and Brightest Stories Countdown

CBR News examines the Man Without Fear's best storylines and the reason they resonate, counting down the 10 greatest stories in Marvel's "Daredevil."

Full article here.

The Kessell / Nord era of DD was a nice ray of light after eons of living in the Miller / Nocenti shadow. This should be on this list as #10 over The Diggle run. Volume 3 was ok, but DD: Reborn was awful... :(
    - pmpknface

"Webs Away!!!"
    Read My CBR Articles!

Quote Originally Posted by pmpknface View Post
    The Kessell / Nord era of DD was a nice ray of light after eons of living in the Miller / Nocenti shadow. This should be on this list as #10 over The Diggle run. Volume 3 was ok, but DD: Reborn was awful... :(
    The kessell run is at no. 5 on the list, beating out Nocenti. Unless you are arguing that diggles run should be no 5 instead and they should switch places!

Youch, hurts to see Andy Diggle's run on here instead of J.M. Dematteis or Joe Kelly's (both pretty short, but excellent). Here's my version (I've only read the first trade of Waid, and only Nocenti's Mephisto saga, so they're left out):

1. Frank Miller
    2. Brian Michael Bendis
    3. Ed Brubaker

4. Stan Lee (with Gene Colan)
    5. Dennis O'Neil (with William Johnson and David Mazzuchelli, one of the best runs that begs to be reprinted)
    6. J.M. Dematties (7 issues that play heavily off of Miller's Man Without Fear)

7. Joe Kelly (super-fun, continuing Kesel's feel)
    8. David Mack (Parts of a Hole is severely underrated)
    9. Kevin Smith
    10. Karl Kesel

I would love seeing the Nocenti run at #3, behind Miller & Bendis. Just think she wrote a fine group of issues and am sad they are not collected in a nice omnibus collection.

"The day Frank Miller set his sights on the Man Without Fear was the day comics grew up."

EPIC

I am sure I will get all sorts of grief for this, but in my opinion, Frank Millers stuff doesnt hold up as well as I thought it would. I LOVED them at the time, and I had nothing but good memories. And, for years, I have read every column telling me that his is one of the greatest runs on a character.

So, after years of having fond memories in my mind, I went back and reread his original run. It was okay....even pretty good, at times. But I think its one of those things that got even bigger in my mind.

I will say, though, that his Born Again storyline holds up, and is still to this day my favorite story in comic history.