Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default When Words Collide - Dec 2, 2013

Tim rereads Frank Miller's often-overlooked "Elektra Lives Again" graphic novel and wonders why it seems to be forgotten by fans.

Full article here.

Great Article. I've never read Elektra Lives Again but you just made me want to pick it up.

I disagree with your opinion about the non-Miller Elektra titles, though.
    "most of them aren't worth reading (are any of them worth reading?)"
    I would consider Rucka's run on Elektra's second solo title and Zeb Wells' Dark Reign mini as definitely worth reading.
    Therefore I'm eagerly looking forward to her upcoming series by the latter.
    Last edited by Shadowkurt; 12-02-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Good article.

I think a large part of the reason it's been overlooked is simply because it's been out of print for most of its existence. Yes, it has been reprinted here and there, but the print runs don't seem to have been very high. I have NEVER seen it in any comic shop I've ever gone to! I picked up a copy on eBay a few months ago for only a couple bucks, but that was a steal -- Over the years whenever I've thought to look for it on Amazon or eBay, the available copies tended to be way more expensive than I'd want to pay for 76 pages. And it was reprinted in the (now out of print) Elektra Omnibus, but there the oversized art was cut down to fit in a normal Omnibus size.

Relatedly, I really do think that Elektra Assassin is every bit as good as Dark Knight Returns and Year One, but it's gotten much less press over the years. Of course, part of that is because Batman is more palatable, but some of it has to be the relative unavailability of Elektra Assassin over the years. Yeah, you can find it now; you can find used TPBs for $10. But growing up in the '90s I never saw Elektra Assassin. I had heard about it but, as with Elektra Lives Again, it just wasn't easy to find. Not in the way that Miller's other stuff was.

Lastly, I should add that I don't think Elektra Lives Again is as good of a work as Elektra Assassin, or Miller's Batman stuff, or most of his other DD stuff. Elektra Lives Again is a very good but fundamentally weird and awkward work. Sure, E:Assassin is weird too, but it's also hundreds of pages long and can set and establish its own rules; and because it's so long seems "worth it" in terms of justifying a purchase. E:LA, on the other hand, is less than 80 pages -- it's there, and it hits you and leaves you before the reader can really even figure out what it IS -- and to really experience it you need to find a hardcover edition that has dimensions unlike 99.999% of all other comics. Almost every aspect of it seems strange and difficult to compare to anything else or graft onto any sensible thing in your mind.

It should be talked about more, though.
    Last edited by DarkBeast; 12-02-2013 at 03:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowkurt View Post
    Great Article. I've never read Elektra Lives Again but you just made me want to pick it up.

I disagree with your opinion about the non-Miller Elektra titles, though.

I would consider Rucka's run on Elektra's second solo title and Zeb Wells' Dark Reign mini as definitely worth reading.
    Therefore I'm eagerly looking forward to her upcoming series by the latter.
    I agree, but with a warning that....My God was the art bad on that run, just holy crap was it bad. Some of the most sub-standard work I've ever seen from Joe Bennett and Carlos Pagualyan. And those first couple of issues drawn by Chuck Austen were so goddamned bad that they really never should have been published. I also remember the last couple of issues were drawn by a cartoonist with a really goofy style that was just generally a bad idea altogether.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Ruckas elektra was 18 issues of garbage. Issue after issue of uneventful, uninspiring stories, and as paladin said, atrocious art.

Rucka was trying to write a novel instead of a comic series, me thinks.
    "Calm down, call Batman." - Greg Capullo

Haven't read it in a while but Elektra Lives Again is very underrated.

In defence of other Elektra tales - Zeb Wells did indeed bring the thunder in his Dark Reign mini, and so I'm eagerly awaiting his new book for her.
    I talk about comics and writing processes on my site: www.stinkbrown.org

Electra Lives Again has been a fixture on my bookshelf almost from the moment it was released. I think it is one of the best works Miller ever put out. It is a shame more people have not been exposed to it. Really enjoyable stuff.
    Be all you can be.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Thompson View Post
    Electra Lives Again has been a fixture on my bookshelf almost from the moment it was released. I think it is one of the best works Miller ever put out. It is a shame more people have not been exposed to it. Really enjoyable stuff.
    I agree. I'm still amazed that it's ignored whenever Miller's best work comes up so I was happy to see this article. It's a strange, trippy kind of comic that defies easy categorisation.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

There are a few non-Miller Elektra stories that are actually pretty good. Elektra: Relentless by Robert Rodi is probably the best of them. Then Elektra: The Hand by Akira Yoshida is pretty good. And Bendis' Elektra: The Scorpio Key is a freaking amazing story, but the art is beyond terrible. Dark Reign by Zeb Wells was decent...

Just gotta say: Timothy Callahan, You consistently write some of the most thoughtful and entertaining articles about comics on the web. One of the main reasons I check back here every couple of days. Cheers, man!