Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Indestructible Hulk, #16

Mahmud Asrar joins Mark Waid to handle the art chores for "Indestructible Hulk"#16 as Bruce Banner tries to get himself and his big green friend back on track to do the most good.

Full review here.

Agree with the review.
    The writing is very sharp as usual and waid makes good emphasis on Banners desire for success. The first few panels were amazing, and it makes a lot of sense that Banner would eventually get somewhat of a complex since he's been overshadowed by the jade Giant for a considerably long time. Though I really do hope that this doesn't stick, I can see that Waid is setting up a character arc, and some development would be nice. The relationship between Banner and Jessup is nice and I can see why Randall would associate Banner to "parental-type" figure. The art was also great, especially the monster fight.
    I can't really say much more about the issues, it did it's job, it was a prelude after all. it wasn't EXCELLENT but it was a nice, enjoyable issue which set up the next arc pretty well.

This felt like most of Waid's other set-up issue for the past couple of arcs and unfortunately I have felt very disappointed alon the way. Standard issue, though technically sound, nothing new or creative has come out of Waid's version of the Hulk in this issue ornrun. Outside Banner working for SHIELD their is nothing that really is developed in his run that screams must read. Asar's art is the most positive aspect of the issue but he will probably be on for another issue or two. After Yu's departure the art has been in flux though the talented Simonson and Scalera have drawn issues no one has stayed long or stood out. The mess of the last arc with art duties was reminiscent of the Aaron's short run as Hulk scribe. I feel as far as the writing, Waid has done an average job but I don't feel that he is passionate about writing the Hulk like I did during the Pak run.
    Organic Underground Hip Hop
    http://boombits.bandcamp.com
    Http://soundcloud.com/boombits
    @boom_bits (IG & Twitter)

Quote Originally Posted by AnonymousMC View Post
    This felt like most of Waid's other set-up issue for the past couple of arcs and unfortunately I have felt very disappointed alon the way. Standard issue, though technically sound, nothing new or creative has come out of Waid's version of the Hulk in this issue ornrun. Outside Banner working for SHIELD their is nothing that really is developed in his run that screams must read. Asar's art is the most positive aspect of the issue but he will probably be on for another issue or two. After Yu's departure the art has been in flux though the talented Simonson and Scalera have drawn issues no one has stayed long or stood out. The mess of the last arc with art duties was reminiscent of the Aaron's short run as Hulk scribe. I feel as far as the writing, Waid has done an average job but I don't feel that he is passionate about writing the Hulk like I did during the Pak run.
    Pak was truly a different level.

Waid's run has been rather pedestrian overall -- only the Simonson-penciled issues had any sense of fun to them. And while I appreciate that Waid doesn't write in the decompressed style that Marvel's most favored writers do, he still uses a lot of widescreen panels that rob the action of coherence or flow. He also seems moderately interested in Banner as a character and not at all in Hulk.

In short, this has been a disappointing title for me from the beginning; this issue is pretty much par for the course. Asrar's art was unimpressive to me -- I wonder how the reviewer found his characters to be both "hefty" and cutout-like (cutouts are by definition flat and thus have no heft). I doubt I'll be collecting much longer.

Quote Originally Posted by godzilla90210 View Post
    Waid's run has been rather pedestrian overall -- only the Simonson-penciled issues had any sense of fun to them. And while I appreciate that Waid doesn't write in the decompressed style that Marvel's most favored writers do, he still uses a lot of widescreen panels that rob the action of coherence or flow. He also seems moderately interested in Banner as a character and not at all in Hulk.

In short, this has been a disappointing title for me from the beginning; this issue is pretty much par for the course. Asrar's art was unimpressive to me -- I wonder how the reviewer found his characters to be both "hefty" and cutout-like (cutouts are by definition flat and thus have no heft). I doubt I'll be collecting much longer.
    Kind agree. And Marvel insisting that the book be involved with whatever useless cluster f**k event they are vomiting out has me dropping it as well.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Kind agree. And Marvel insisting that the book be involved with whatever useless cluster f**k event they are vomiting out has me dropping it as well.
    Despite the logo on the cover, I'm still not sure what this issue had to do with Inhumanity.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    Despite the logo on the cover, I'm still not sure what this issue had to do with Inhumanity.
    Previews to #17 look pretty Inhuman connected.

Quote Originally Posted by edhopper View Post
    Previews to #17 look pretty Inhuman connected.
    Fine, but what does that have to do with this issue?
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...