Page 1 of 21 1234511 ... LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Dennis Hopeless Exits "Avengers Arena" to Go "Undercover"

Dennis Hopeless talks in-depth about the ending to the controversial "Avengers Arena" and its upcoming follow-up, "Avengers Undercover."

Full article here.

Sometimes I wish Marvel would just publish books without color. Kev's pencils are that strong to me.

I find myself looking forward to Undercover now, more than I did initially. Good thing I'm dropping Daredevil next year.

Interesting that they've gotten rid of Hazmat's handicap now that Mettle is dead. It'll be interesting to see how they explore that.
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by CBR News View Post
    Dennis Hopeless talks in-depth about the ending to the controversial "Avengers Arena" and its upcoming follow-up, "Avengers Undercover."

Full article here.
    Arena was a funny book, that i think will be remembered a lot better than it was received by fans at large. I hated the idea of the book, the concept of death and the promise of death as a plot device with exisitng characters with there own built up history.

..but Darkhawk and Cammi kept me interested, and even though i dropped the book for awhile after Darkhawk's faux demise, i caught up later what i missed and kept tabs on the book. Eventually I was won over with the characterization of Hopeless, he did a great job with this series, and he ended up really impressing me as a writer.

Bagalia literally is an awesome concept, and this undercover book looks good...Zemo, cool classic villiains running around, and we get more with these characters. I'm kinda disappointed even that Chris Powell isnt still going to be running around with these guys. A niche is a niche, and I dont see him being used elsewhere, except maybe New Warriors.

I like the idea of Daimon Hellstrom having a spot in Bagalia. He's clearly always used more as an anti-hero, so it'll be cool to see what relationship he has with the villains there.

Hoping that Hopeless touches more on Anachronism's connections to the Celtic pantheon of gods in Undercover . . . maybe even tying into some of the stuff that PAD was establishing with Morrígan and Brân the Blessed over in the last volume of X-Factor. Could Aiden be the human host of Cúchulainn?

So excited for this. Happy Arcade will still be around and Bagalia sounds cool. I guess they could run into all kinds of characters there.

One of the big critizisms I saw of Arena was that people thought he didn't give everybody a chance to shine. I don't really agree with that but with this books focus on a smaller cast that should not be a problem.
    Thor: God of Thunder, Indestructible Hulk, Deadpool, Captain Marvel, Avengers, Mighty Avengers, All-New X-Men

I would like to post my feelings about that hint Hopeless will keep writing Nico and Chase.

Another year of horrible character derailment and destroying every bti of credibility these characters have. Why does Marvel hates Runaways fans so much is beyond me.

Loved Arena so much i could read the entire volume a gazillion times in one go. Can't wait for this.

Youth will dominate.

Quote Originally Posted by Shinglepants View Post
    So excited for this. Happy Arcade will still be around and Bagalia sounds cool. I guess they could run into all kinds of characters there.

One of the big critizisms I saw of Arena was that people thought he didn't give everybody a chance to shine. I don't really agree with that but with this books focus on a smaller cast that should not be a problem.
    I disagree with that criticism also. Many characters got a whole issue told from their P.O.V. I don't feel like any characters "got lost" in the story. I think Hopeless did a masterful job of juggling a large cast. The concept is divisive, for sure, and not for everybody. Still, I contend that if one were to look at the story as objectively as possible, and judge it strictly on the quality and craftsmanship of the writing, the grade would have to be an A+. Hopeless is one of the most skilled writers I have come across in quite some time. I can't wait to see what he does next.

Quote Originally Posted by Wicker Man View Post
    I would like to post my feelings about that hint Hopeless will keep writing Nico and Chase.

Another year of horrible character derailment and destroying every bti of credibility these characters have. Why does Marvel hates Runaways fans so much is beyond me.
    I'm not sure how either character was derailed. Up until the end when she became fed up, Nico was arguably the most heroic character on the island. As for when she got fed up, she's been shown to get a little "intense" when she and her own feel threatened.

There's also the added wrinkle attached to her being "powered up".

Chase was Chase as best as I can tell. He talks a big game and feels he has to be the one to make the "tough" choices because he already views himself as damaged goods, BUT he had no real intention of hurting anyone. Otherwise he didn't get to do enough to suffer character derailment.

Let's be real. These kids are not saints.

Excited by the news and the preview art. I think that Nico will be the last member to join the cast as she had been one of the characters that suffered most during the series, and in my opinion was better developed than Chase.

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Love Walker and if Hellstrom is involved, I might pick up the issue or two where he appears. Otherwise, I will patiently wait for Walker's next Marvel gig.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Quote Originally Posted by Aether View Post
    Excited by the news and the preview art. I think that Nico will be the last member to join the cast as she had been one of the characters that suffered most during the series, and in my opinion was better developed than Chase.
    If that were to be true and Hellstrom became her mentor, that could be interesting.

I really hope he uses BOTH Nico and Chase. I'd love to see that. I love them both and they deserve places in Hopeless' amazing works.

I want Hollow!

Ororo Munroe: I have no powers, my body cannot fly. But I no longer mind, for in my heart and soul -- where it truly matters -- I soar higher than the stars!