Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Updating the "Official Handbook of the Marvel Universe" for the 21st Century

Marvel is using groundbreaking technology to provide fans with more information about its characters than ever before.

Full article here.

This is going to be EPIC!!!!
    Say No to decompressed storytelling!

Bellechere for the win!!!

European Union: XXI Century New USSR
    I am anti-EU

DD & BP: secret BFF's FriendRoss's Avatar

this sounds super cool

BANNED

Graph theory dates back to the 1700s, how is this groundbreaking technology?

This looks really cool
    Buy The Punisher

This is so cool!

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by PwrdOff View Post
    Graph theory dates back to the 1700s, how is this groundbreaking technology?
    The visualization part, maybe? If they can generate them on the fly, that's pretty impressive.

Either way, I really want to see their metadata schema. I took a stab or two at a similar idea back in library school, and I'd love to see how they're approaching it.
    Expletive Deleted

OK, I'm all for the big two making their continuity and character info available in a manner that can be easily updated, for purposes of enabling a new reader to easily learn about the characters and also enabling the writers and editors to keep track of continuity. But crap this seems way over complicated. I notice at the end of the talk the guy has a hard time expressing what the actual function of this might be - right now it just seems like an exercise in looking for pretty patterns.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

Quote Originally Posted by chakal View Post
    This is going to be EPIC!!!!
    Yeah, an EPIC FAIL.

Quote Originally Posted by glennsim View Post
    OK, I'm all for the big two making their continuity and character info available in a manner that can be easily updated, for purposes of enabling a new reader to easily learn about the characters and also enabling the writers and editors to keep track of continuity. But crap this seems way over complicated. I notice at the end of the talk the guy has a hard time expressing what the actual function of this might be - right now it just seems like an exercise in looking for pretty patterns.
    It's a tech talk, not a product launch. He's presenting about the data and the back end.
    Expletive Deleted

I'll await and see.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    It's a tech talk, not a product launch. He's presenting about the data and the back end.
    Hopefully the end result will be appropriate to the amount of work going in to the back end. Right now it seems like they are building a warp engine just to get from New York to Los Angeles.
    The DC relaunch was successful and was executed in what was most likely the best way it could given restrictions we wouldn't know about. No, your idea wouldn't have worked. Now move on.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    The visualization part, maybe? If they can generate them on the fly, that's pretty impressive.

Either way, I really want to see their metadata schema. I took a stab or two at a similar idea back in library school, and I'd love to see how they're approaching it.
    Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but all of this does seem just like a fancy light show to inject a sense of polish and modernity into a pretty primitive medium, rather than anything substantial. Applying graph theory to pop culture isn't exactly a novel concept, just think of something like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon or all of those family/relationship trees that fans come up with for just about everything. This project seems a tad pretentious for essentially being just a service to recommend products to customers.

I could see this being a useful tool for maintaining internal consistency between all of the books, but I'm not sure any of the writers will be so keen on using it. What's more creatively stifling than a big fancy chart showing where everything is supposed to go?
    Last edited by PwrdOff; 12-02-2013 at 01:25 PM.

I find it a bit strange considering that Marvel has pretty much ignored continuity for last 10 or so years. And now they want to launch product that shows off their continuity?

Also, how many connections someone like Spider-Man or Wolverine are going to have? Who is going to actually look at that? Some serious work with interface will have to be done here to make it usable.
    lots of dots

Maybe I'm being overly cynical, but all of this does seem just like a fancy light show to inject a sense of polish and modernity into a pretty primitive medium, rather than anything substantial.
    It's a tech talk. The fancy light show is the point. You have to show a big, primary colored tumbleweed or you're not trying.

Applying graph theory to pop culture isn't exactly a novel concept, just think of something like Six Degrees of Kevin Bacon or all of those family/relationship trees that fans come up with for just about everything.
    I think the difference here is the scale. The closest thing I can think of is using IMDB's data store to calculate optimal Bacon Numbers, and that's a smaller data set with a lower level of complexity.

This project seems a tad pretentious for essentially being just a service to recommend products to customers.
    Maybe I've sat through too many big data and data vis talks, but this didn't seem that bad. And as far as applications go, I don't think he's saying product recommendations are the only possibility. Just one of the more obvious ones. The idea behind this kind of project is that the data itself will expose connections and imply possible applications.

I could see this being a useful tool for maintaining internal consistency between all of the books, but I'm not sure any of the writers will be so keen on using it. What's more creatively stifling than a big fancy chart showing where everything is supposed to go?
    He talks about that in the Q&A at the end. They're trying to be descriptive, not prescriptive.

Seriously, if you haven't, watch the video. While CBR means well, I think they present this as something slightly more polished than it actually is. Pretty much the entire presentation is about the data model.
    Expletive Deleted