Page 5 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast
    Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    It's really not that simple minded. As I said above, most people don't actually do that, but there are facets of their brain that enjoy seeing the over the top interpretation of it personified. Some people also like to dream they can fly

I mean - isn't that what comic books are all about?
    This observation makes me feel the need to chime in with my usual two-cents worth. I'm simply not a fan of the Joker or the oppressive edgy dark atmosphere of modern superhero comics. For me comic books should be all about good defeating or thwarting evil. To that end one needs to invent fictional evil for the protagonists to defeat; however, apparently unlike many readers, I'm just not that interested in what makes evil "tick." Nor do I find evil badass crazy cool like so many readers seem to these days. So the Joker doesn't do much for me.
    Comics full of heart, hope, humor and... egads... boobs?
    Danger Doll Comics at Indy Planet!

If you don't get it then you never will.

Quote Originally Posted by Daiohnysis View Post
    Which is exactly what Batfans do to everything else.

Superman? He's just a dumb boy scout who punches stuff and his villain is a bald guy and his weakness is a rock.

Wonder Woman? She spins and has a rope and fights a Catwoman ripoff.

Green Lantern? That crappy movie?

Flash? He runs, and he fights.......um........Mr. Freeze?
    The people who you associate with probably talk like this all the time, I have no doubt of that.

However, please show me one reasonably intelligent batman/dc comics fan who thinks/talks this way...

Yeah, that's what I thought ...

That and the fact that apparently no other villain can measure up to the SHAKESPEAREAN drama of the Joker.
    That's a fact? REALLY???

Show me once where one fan ever said that ... Apparently ...

Quote Originally Posted by Bonemachine View Post
    That's a fact? REALLY???

Show me once where one fan ever said that ... Apparently ...
    Not quite Shakespeare, but:

Quote Originally Posted by iFanWhore
    I believed in those moments that the Joker was capable of anything. Anything. More importantly that our hero was just as willing to do anything. Anything. [...] As for Snyder’s vision of the Batman and Joker’s climactic encounter, I was taken with the allusion to Holmes and Moriarty at Reichenbach Falls, of the fantastic metaphor of masks and faces and identities.
    http://ifanboy.com/potw/pick-of-the-...013-batman-17/

Just examine any other corporate reviews of DotF in order to see just how overhyped this stuff can get.

In reality, the metaphor is just:

-Chaos vs Order

-Batman not wanting to cross a line (killing) in a way that conveniently ensures that DC can have the characters continue to do the same things over and over again.

It's a good hero/villain dynamic, but it isn't INFINITELY meaningful or endlessly interesting the way some people make it out to be. I don't object to people saying that Batman/Joker is a great good-vs-evil match, but it is absolutely ridiculous when readers (and writers) hide behind this sort of convenient tactic of assuming that EVERYTHING the two characters could possibly say to each other, no matter how uninspired or vague, just MUST be a peek into revelatory genius and the very depths of humanity.

"Blah blah blah blah MASKS AND FACES! blah blah blah blah THE JOKER OMG! blah blah blah THEY ARE IN *LOOOOOVE* WITH EACH OTHER! Blah blah blah blah...)

The premise of the thread is basically:

" I don't 'get' the hype of these so-called comic books. I can read books WITHOUT pictures and I'm proud of myself for that. Everybody else needs pictures to understand what's going on in a book but I DON'T!!

lol fanboys"

BANNED

" I don't 'get' the hype of these so-called comic books. I can read books WITHOUT pictures and I'm proud of myself for that. Everybody else needs pictures to understand what's going on in a book but I DON'T!!

lol fanboys"
    Wtf? That's what you got out of this?

Please fill me in on all the insightful analysis you've provided throughout this thread that I've somehow missed ...

I'm kinda curious about where all this "hype" is.

BANNED

The original appeal is , A direct opposite of batman . It helps to have great actors,writers like Alan Moore ,Mark Hamil, Heath Ledger do stuff with the batman and joker dynamic

You're mistaken. The premise of this thread, like the premise of any Daiohnysis thread, is simply "I'm bored, I'm gonna mess with people online".
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."

Wtf? That's what you got out of this?
    I got that you like to troll people.

Just like the Joker. So, you know, it all comes full circle.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by E. Wilson View Post
    I got that you like to troll people.

Just like the Joker. So, you know, it all comes full circle.
    I am not a troll!!!

lol fanboys"
    Nailed it.

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    You're mistaken. The premise of this thread, like the premise of any Daiohnysis thread, is simply "I'm bored, I'm gonna mess with people online".
    And this one too.

I am not a troll!!!
    In a word:bullshit.

I am not a troll!!!
    "The lady doth protest too much, methinks."
    'The marquis. Well, you know, to be honest, he seems a little bit dodgy to me.'
    'Mm,' she agreed. 'He's a little bit dodgy in the same way that rats are a little bit covered in fur."