Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by Roquefort Raider View Post
    Mmmh... I think you may be thinking of what came after Byrne, Leader Desslok... Byrne did make the Thing lumpy again for a few issues, even having him wear the metal mask from FF#3 for, like, one issue, but Ben went back to his late-Kirby plated version soon enough. The starfish look came about during the Englehart-Pollard era, and it's under the DeFalco-Ryan guidance that Ben was disfigured by Wolverine and started wearing a bucket on his head.
    I remember Byrne making the "teddy bear" comment (and he wasn't entirely wrong) but what's this "starfish" thing?

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    I remember Byrne making the "teddy bear" comment (and he wasn't entirely wrong) but what's this "starfish" thing?
    I don't know where they are getting the "starfish" visual from, but they are probably referring to when Ben looked like this:

At the time, I think that he was being compared to a pineapple in appearance. The creative team did it so that Ben wouldn't look too similar to Sharon Ventura during her She-Thing phase.
    "Injustice anywhere is a threat to justice everywhere."
    Martin Luther King Jr., Letter from Birmingham Jail, April 16, 1963

I started reading in the mid 70's & the Thing was a major player then. There's an old subscription add from back then that pretty much sums up "My" Marvel. It's got Hulk, Spidey, Cap, Iron Man, Thing, DD & a few others. NO X-MEN! I loved Marvel before they took over. I literally have maybe 10 issues of the X-Men & they're Byrne issues I bought on a whim. I think during much of the 90's, they supplanted many characters. I remember reading a thread after the Avengers movie that asked, "Are the Avengers replacing the X-Men as the top team?" When I was doing the bulk of my Marvel reading, the X-Men were only a few steps up from the Champions & maybe tied with the Defenders to me. Probably below the Defenders to me. FF was near the top.

I love the 70's issues of FF! The Galactus & Sphinx story, the early Perez & Byrne stuff, just fun to me. Marvel Two in One was read by all my friends back then. True it was 5th & 6th grade. Lol!! Project Pegasus, the Serpent Crown, the Saturday Night Live Gang, again fun comics. Comics are so sour anymore. Everything is so serious & takes real world logic into account on everything! I don't think a character like Thing is edgy enough. He's just a good guy. No angst. No anger. Everything is Wolverine, armored Batman, or some variation.
    Last edited by Jon-El; 04-09-2014 at 07:19 PM.

Wasn't the Saturday Night Live Gang story in Marvel Team-Up, not Two-In-One? Or did they also appear in TIO?

I'm pretty sure you're right. I got them mixed up.

They call me Mr. Pip! the4thpip's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    Or they're idiots with dreadful taste.

Cei-U!
    I kid, I kid!
    I'll just leave this link here for no reason at all.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Getting married? Check http://www.fandgweddings.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Shellhead View Post
    There were some other factors, too. Byrne (maybe acting on a Shooter mandate) moved him from the FF to a solo book after Secret Wars. This was harmful for two reasons: Ben missed out on a significant portion of one the better FF runs, and he lost his sense of humor in his solo book. In addition, Marvel Two-in-One declined badly in quality in the second half of the series. The whole business about Johnny marrying Alicia was humiliating to Ben, even though it eventually got retconned away. While I didn't mind when Ben got that weird pineapple makeover, the She-Thing concept was demeaning to both Ben and Sharon. By the time that things got back to normal with Ben and the FF, he had lost a lot of popularity. To make matters worse, the FF had already lost relevance at Marvel. The team was always at least as much about discovery as adventure, and by the late '80s, many of the interesting places in the Marvel Universe had already been explored.
    And in spite of all that, Dan Slott's Thing was very enjoyable. I used to get a lot of pleasure out of Dan Slott's thing.
    My blog.

We struggled against apartheid in South Africa, supported by people the world over, because black people were being blamed and made to suffer for something we could do nothing about; our very skins. It is the same with sexual orientation. It is a given.
    - Desmond Tutu

Quote Originally Posted by the4thpip View Post
    I'll just leave this link here for no reason at all.
    I could actually feel my IQ dropping as I read that.

Cei-U!
    I summon the reminder of why I don't visit other boards anymore!
    It's hardly a secret that something is badly wrong with me. - Dan B. in the Underworld
    I am ... a condescending prick sometimes. But I usually mean to be. - Paradox
    I'm not infallible. I just act like it. - Me

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

And in spite of all that, Dan Slott's Thing was very enjoyable. I used to get a lot of pleasure out of Dan Slott's thing.
    I didn't read that book, but from the reviews here on CBR I had the impression that it was a good series, and a good direction for Ben. The mix of humor and adventure suits him.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

DC Comics Forum Moderator The Darknight Detective's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cei-U! View Post
    I could actually feel my IQ dropping as I read that.

Cei-U!
    I summon the reminder of why I don't visit other boards anymore!
    Me loss more QI poins then that readin it.
    A bat! That's it! It's an omen.. I shall become a bat!

I used to get a lot of pleasure out of Dan Slott's thing.
    You're just asking people to take that out of context, aren't you?
    --
    Rob Allen

Quote Originally Posted by Bad Wolf View Post
    "The Starfish Thing" that I and some fans refer to can best be seen on the cover of THE THING #1 which Byrne drew. The Thing's arms have no definition and look amorphous, so the overall effect is that he looks like a starfish with a motocycle helmet for a head. He looks like Byrne's Thing--not Kirby's. The closest it resembles Kirby is from the late 20's, early 30s issues of the F.F.'s original comic, when Kirby was being inked by George Roussos and Chic Stone. This was the period which Byrne felt the FF was at it's best and that is what he mimicked. He couldn't ignore characters like the Silver Surfer, Galactus or Annihilus because they had become too ingrained in the FF mythos.

Also, I disagree those who say the late 70s issues were bad. I thought Marv Wolfman and John Byrne did really well with the characters even though I felt Keith Pollard was just wrong for the book. Doug Moench and Bill Sienkiewicz started out slow but they finished strongly with that last 3 parter! Frankly, I began to lose general interest in the FF when Byrne got rid of Ben, which I applauded because I didn't like the way he was handling the character, but it never felt quite right with She Hulk either. I never picked up the book again other than an occasional perusal in a comic shop. Nobody generated my interest in the FF after Byrne left and I wasn't wild about his final issues either.

On the other hand, my interest in the Lee\Kirby issues increased tenfold! And you can say the same thing about Byrne's ALPHA FLIGHT, I felt he could do no wrong with that book!
    FAV Comics: Lil' ABNER, DICK TRACY, BATMAN, UNCLE SCROOGE, KAMUI, TOMB OF DRACULA, THE MIGHTY THOR by LEE\KIRBY, WONDER WOMAN by PEREZ\KAREN BERGER, AMAZING SPIDER-MAN 1-206 and EC COMICS!

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Allen View Post
    You're just asking people to take that out of context, aren't you?
    I used to go to my local comicbook shop to pull Dan Slott's thing every month.
    My blog.

- Desmond Tutu

I'm reading some late 70's FF & I so prefer the way Byrne drew the Thing when Sinnott was inking him as opposed to the early 80's stuff. The brow & loss of definition in his arms really threw me as a kid.

The Project Pegasus Saga in Marvel Two In One was one of the stories that really got me hooked on comics in general.