Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Thought Bubble 2013: Marvel Creators Dispense Advice at "Your Universe" Panel

Kieron Gillen, Matt Fraction, Kelly Sue DeConnick, Paul Cornell, Simon Spurrier and more discusses Marvel Comics this past weekend in Leeds.

Full article here.

I don't understand why David Aja takes so long with his work. It's not like he is doing anything hyper detailed and it is more or less along the lines of what Jock does (with perhaps a little less black usage). Granted, his panelling is Hawkeye is great but it doesn't justify or warrant the extremely long skip months and breaks.

Quote Originally Posted by junir View Post
    I don't understand why David Aja takes so long with his work. It's not like he is doing anything hyper detailed and it is more or less along the lines of what Jock does (with perhaps a little less black usage). Granted, his panelling is Hawkeye is great but it doesn't justify or warrant the extremely long skip months and breaks.

No. Just no.

Your answer is in the interview. Aja said he wanted to know what a scene SMELLED like! He clearly spends a lot of time figuring out how to tell the story in inventive ways. He's also a true collaborator with Fraction -- it's not full script, "draw exactly this." Aja deserves at least half the credit for making Hawkeye the book it is.

This sounded like an awesome panel to attend.

And I have to say, Gillen, Cornell and Spurrier should be proud of those books. I loved Gillen's Uncanny X-Men 14, Cornell's Captain Britain and MI13, and Si Spurrier's X-Club (even if he left Namor out, and missed the opportunity for Dr. Nemesis and Namor to FINALLY remember they tried to kill each other )

The difference is that Jock draws great covers, but Aja draws great stories. If a master at storytelling needs to take their time, you let them take their time.