Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default PREVIEW: Black Science #1

Grant McKay, former member of The Anarchistic Order of Scientists, has finally done the impossible: He has deciphered Black Science and punched through the barriers of reality. But what lies beyond the veil is not epiphany, but chaos. Now Grant and his team are lost, living ghosts shipwrecked on an infinite ocean of alien worlds, barreling through the long-forgotten, ancient, and unimaginable dark realms. The only way is forward. The only question is how far are they willing to go, and how much can they endure, to get home again? Join writer RICK REMENDER and the superstar art team of MATTEO SCALERA & DEAN WHITE for this face-melting science fiction epic spanning the lifetimes of a cast of dimensional castaways lead by the man who caused it all.

Full preview here.

I didn't really like this issue. Not surprised as I didn't care for the preview, but I'm kinda trying all of Image's new books so I thought I'd give it a shot anyway. I don't think it was bad but nothing in it worked for me at all.

First and foremost I didn't like the main character at all. I didn't find him likable or interesting, and his narration grew tiring really quickly. The whole script is basically "I wish I could go back and I have to save my kids." It just got very old very fast and never stopped throughout the issue. And then whenever something happened in the issue, he just repeated it again ad nauseum, like his (spoiler warning) partner character dying. I get that Remender is probably trying to write this like someone having a mental breakdown who is losing his ability to focus on things and move on, but it's not enjoyable to read.

As far as the plot, it felt really thin to me. Like Remender and the artists dreamed up some wild visuals and basically had the character move from wild visual A to wild visual B without much substance in between to give any real weight or meaning. The aliens looked suitably weird but as a story it felt very hollow.

As for the art, it's visually impressive but I personally didn't really like it. The painted colors looked really garish to me and I wasn't really crazy about Scalera's linework, which I thought was a bad fit for the writing. I get that they're trying to do a whole book that looks like classic pulp sci-fi novel covers, but I just think the execution here is, again, garish.
    Saga, Private Eye, Chew, Umbral, Deadly Class, Pretty Deadly

She-Hulk, Ghost Rider, Loki, Moon Knight, Iron Fist, Daredevil, Punisher, X-Factor

Bought it. Read it. Loved it.

I, on the other hand, liked it.

I really liked the throwback 70s-esque sci fi art, reminded me of something I might have read in an old issue of Heavy Metal. As a first issue, the idea is to hook the readers in and make them want to find out what happens next, and this issue achieved that for me.

Yeah, it was a bit cliche at times – the protagonist’s monologue, the fact that he and the rescued slave girl happen to land in front of the slave girl’s husband (or so we presume) – but I think that was kind of the point.

If you dig old school sci fi, I think you’ll dig this.

Powered By Gravity Skyjumpermike's Avatar

I thought it was a fun read. I really liked the art and all the different colors. No room for it on my pull list though. Hopefully they throw a little humor in from time to time though. I think it will be a fun book.

It brought Gygax's Shrine of the Kuo Toa to life. Maybe my favorite first issue this year. Completely 100% loved this thing and can't wait for the next.
    Indirect Proof - A blog where I badly write on topics about which I'm ill informed. And comics. Because my opinion matters.

this wasn't as good as i hoped it would be. probably gonna give it few more issues, but overall... meh.

Remender is less hit and more miss for me lately... unfortunately.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I really enjoyed this book. I'm hooked with the universe jumps and hopefully that is the theme of the series. The team constantly jumping to new universes looking toget home would be pretty fun.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes:

BANNED

I liked it. I thought the art wss best part though. Thw writing was decent.

Really liked the issue. Remender knows how to keep me wanting more. And Matteo and Dean White are killing it on the art. I mean the art is just beautiful. Can't wait to see what happens next. I think I read somewhere that after the first four issues or so the story will come together a lot more. Like things will be answered and you will kind of understand more of what's going on. But all in all sweet issue. Definetley on my pull list.
    In PAK We Trust!

Check out my friends Indie Comic Hoods! www.hoodscomic.com

And Check out his Podcast Smashville!

I thought it was ok. The art threw me somewhat.I'll give it another try.

Quote Originally Posted by shadowmon View Post
    I liked it. I thought the art wss best part though. Thw writing was decent.
    I feel the exact same way. Rarely do I feel the "wow" factor in terms of art but this one was wow. The story was decent, hopefully it will improve.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Did a review on the blog I write for:
    http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/2013/...k-science.html
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Did a review on the blog I write for:
    http://the9thblog.blogspot.com/2013/...k-science.html
    like your blog background pretty cool. Also agree with your review :)

The Older Waiter Brave Sir Robbin's Avatar

Well, my reaction was very, very so-so. I thought the long winded internal dialogue/soliliquy was heavy handed and almost came across as comical. I also think the dramatic forshadowing of the trajedy was also a bit much. I like the ideas and see the book is set up for this crew to be popping around like Stargate, but I am hot optomistic about this. And I wanted to like it.
    Current Favorites: The Goon, Batgirl, Chew, Alex + Ada,The Sixth Gun, Saga, Diskordia, Think Tank, Archie, Rachel Rising, Red Sonja, X, Wonder Woman, Powerpuff Girls