Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Sex Criminals, #3

The third issue of Matt Fraction and Chip Zdarsky's "Sex Criminals" continues the wackiness and inventiveness of the first two. It's still one of the most entertaining stories on the shelves.

Full review here.

I don't get it. For the life of me, I don't get it. Not a single joke in this issue, except for one, worked at all. Everything fell flat, too weird or out there for me to laugh (what the hell was up with the Esteban thing?), or was beaten into the ground (see the musical number joke. Wore out its welcome quickly).

The characterization and relationship stuff is very well done and all, plus the main story has my attention. But dang it, what happened? It's not like I find this comic completely unfunny, since I thought the second issue certainly had its moments. Plus, it's not like I hate immature or gross humor (I love Chew, Shin-Chan, etc.), but this comic just baffles me.

Also, could someone help me out with this line?
    There's a good amount of experimenting with the ways that innovative visuals and boundary-pushing layouts can stretch the capacities of this medium (think "Hawkeye" and "Young Avengers," among many others), so I appreciate that "Sex Criminals" is instead playing with the ways that text can be used more dynamically.
    Does anyone know what the writer is talking about? I just went over the comic again and didn't see anything regarding that.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Does anyone know what the writer is talking about? I just went over the comic again and didn't see anything regarding that.
    She's referring to the Queen song, wherein the text of the lyrics is obscured by text commenting on the lyrics.

I thought it was pretty great. I think Fraction is pushing the fourth wall right to the edge of "too clever for its own good" without crossing it on this title.

what the hell was up with the Esteban thing?
    Pretty clearly that was Morrissey. Esteban is Spanish for Stephen, Moz's first name. Morrissey's lyrics, both as a solo artist and with The Smiths, are known for being self-pitying and about how miserable the world is.

Quote Originally Posted by tapes View Post
    Pretty clearly that was Morrissey. Esteban is Spanish for Stephen, Moz's first name. Morrissey's lyrics, both as a solo artist and with The Smiths, are known for being self-pitying and about how miserable the world is.
    Never heard of Morrissey or The Smiths.

Bat-Rookie CarolinaBatmanFanGuy's Avatar

I was more worried that this title would play on the name sex and try to sell lots of copies without having much good content. Have heard good reviews but idk if that's perverts or what (also I have no idea whats in the issues yet since I haven't read one so I can't bash nothing until I've seen it myself). I'm going to wait for the first trade and see what I think about it after that. I like the concept somewhat just curious as to if their pull is all about sex or is there little mention of sex in the comic?
    Check out CBFG's Big Read

Current Series: Wonder Woman

Pulls: Batman, Detective, Batman &, Bat/Sup, JL, Earth 2, Beyond, '66, Eternal, Future's End, ANXF

Never heard of Morrissey or The Smiths.
    You should check them out. Beyond the fact that they are a pretty influential musical act that you should at least be aware of, I always find it better to use unfamiliar references as an attempt to learn new things, instead of insisting that writers write dumber jokes.

This was the best comic of the week. Really smart stuff. The 'Queen' scene was absolutely inspired.

Not as good as Fraction's best Hawkeye issues, but really, really good.

Yeah, colour me really, really impressed with this series so far and this is probably the best issue so far. Love the characters, the art, the comedy, the romance and the bonkers creativity. It may well be my favourite new series this year.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Veteran Member The Beast Of Yucca Flats's Avatar

Even the letters section, mature readers warning, and recap page are wonderful.

Quote Originally Posted by The Beast Of Yucca Flats View Post
    Even the letters section, mature readers warning, and recap page are wonderful.
    Oh yeah, they totally are! Totally makes the $3.50 worth it.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier