Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Thought Bubble 2013: Image Comics Celebrates "Independence in the U.K."

Eric Stephenson welcomed a range of Image creators to the Thought Bubble stage to talk about the company and their creator-owned work.

Full article here.

All-round British person antony's Avatar

[EDIT - the article has now been corrected. Thank you.]
    Last edited by antony; 11-26-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

[EDIT - the article has now been corrected. Thank you.]
    Last edited by antony; 11-26-2013 at 06:20 AM.
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com

Quote Originally Posted by antony View Post
    Wow. Steve, did you actually attend the panel? Or was this passed on to you by a reporter?

- The map thing was a joke. I made that quite clear at the panel.

- THE FUSE is an ONGOING series. Nobody, anywhere, has ever said it was a "four-issue miniseries", and most certainly not at this panel. This is what I mean about people just making shit up on the internet. What the actual fuck. (EDIT TO ADD: In case you think someone may have slipped up re arcs; no. The very first story arc is six issues, for heaven's sake.)

- "He believes "superheroes shouldn't be the comics mainstream," but that's where the industry began, and people like familiarity." - The last part of that sentence is literally made up. I said nothing of the sort.

So that's one misrepresentation and two factual inaccuracies, on my parts alone. Come on, guys.

Steve, thank you very much -- I am glad someone is reporting on Thought Bubble panels. There are some inaccuracies connected to what I said as well, and I would love it if you would adjust the article to include these bits, as they were mentioned:

1. Kot works for both Marvel and Image currently, and Stephenson asked about the differences he finds. Kot said that he has great editors at Marvel who gave him a relative creative freedom, but he always keeps in mind, "Will DC or Marvel care about me in five years time? Probably not."

What I said, if I remember 100% correctly, was that I had great editors at both Marvel and DC, and that I keep in mind that Marvel and DC are primarily corporations focused on making profit. I followed up the sentence that is quoted with "They can't care about me. They are corporations, not people. Corporations can't care about me because they are not people, even when there are great individuals present within them. With Image, I am dealing primarily with people who want to make great comics."

2. The "screenplay structure" thing -- I went into much more detail there, explaining that I specifically meant the traditional three act structure, the blind following of it. I also said that there is time and place for three act structure, however I do not enjoying seeing it appear just because the writer did not consider other possibilities, or is not even aware of them.
    Last edited by Ales Kot; 11-26-2013 at 04:02 AM.

It was great panel and I love the work by both you guys. Enjoyed reading that my question about sport in comics was given a mention and for anyone interested here's a link to my successfully funded Kickstarter for a Sports graphic novel about legendary US distance runner Steve Prefontaine.

http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/...fontaine-story

Very informative write up (I tuned in after it was corrected so can't really comment). Image comics rock!

It is a good a write-up, and it's great to see Thought Bubble getting wider press; it's the best con in the UK right now :)

The corrections were just the kind of honest mistakes that come from rushing to press. I spent years in (non-comics) journalism myself, so I do sympathise. Anyway, all good now.
    Antony Johnston
    antonyjohnston.com