Page 13 of 22 FirstFirst ... 391011121314151617 ... LastLast
Results 181 to 195 of 320
  1. #181
    Member Eyeswithoutaface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Richmond BC, Canada.
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Did people actually think that being forced to recite that line could change somebody's allegiance?
    I have no idea. Probably. Where are you going with that? Are all immigrants to the US willfully loyal to their native country, and go through the motions of reciting the pledge of allegiance, but secretly want to see the United States burn to the ground?
    Last edited by Eyeswithoutaface; 12-09-2013 at 11:36 PM.

  2. #182
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNascimento View Post
    I don't see it. Not for the "official" costume no.

    Being more clothed, yes. But then, that's not hard.
    why not????


  3. #183
    Senior Member SNascimento's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    1,694

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Jabare View Post
    why not????
    Because it doesn't make sense. Why would Wonder Woman costume be civilian clothes? She needs something of her own. I'm not saying she can't wear them, I'm saying I don't see it being her main costume.
    "Perfection... sometimes it's our worst enemy. I tried to be perfect once... decided to just try to be better. Found a good way to start that... is by accepting who you are."

  4. #184
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,976

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SNascimento View Post
    Because it doesn't make sense. Why would Wonder Woman costume be civilian clothes? She needs something of her own. I'm not saying she can't wear them, I'm saying I don't see it being her main costume.
    I'm not really following. Costume or what have you is just the outfit the character puts on. So if she wants to wear a leather jacket with it I think its fine. I have a leather jacket and lately I wear it all the time. It's certainly less gaudy than a cape







  5. #185
    Whiz Kids Vs. Witchcraft! tangentman's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Savannah, GA
    Posts
    10,256

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    Well...I don't think that the USA has a monopoly on patriarchy...
    ...and the States hardly have a monopoly on injustice, class warfare, or other evils. A lot of things posters here find detestable were inherited from European forebears (English colonialism, anyone?) and mutated into something ugly.

    I've supported Occupy and am HARDLY "rabidly pro-American". However, the comments and attitudes alluded to by wagthedog come across as smug in their critiques. I'm a lot more open to the dialogue people here seem to want about America's flaws when it doesn't come from a phony sense of superiority.
    Who needs CoTM when you can have a Skullie?

    I am Tangent Man! I do not care!

  6. #186
    Member Eyeswithoutaface's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Richmond BC, Canada.
    Posts
    614

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Nobody has a problem with America. We have problem with America fanwanking, especially when it means that our favourite superhero gets to wear a crappy, nonsensical suit as a result.
    By the sounds of it, she just isn't 'your' superhero unless you take a horse-sized deuce all over her history. Meawhile, Captain Fanwank, wearing a crappy nonsensical suit is about to internationally laugh his ass off all the way to the bank for a third time.

  7. #187
    Senior Member wagthedog's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2011
    Posts
    1,735

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by tangentman View Post
    ...and the States hardly have a monopoly on injustice, class warfare, or other evils. A lot of things posters here find detestable were inherited from European forebears (English colonialism, anyone?) and mutated into something ugly.

    I've supported Occupy and am HARDLY "rabidly pro-American". However, the comments and attitudes alluded to by wagthedog come across as smug in their critiques. I'm a lot more open to the dialogue people here seem to want about America's flaws when it doesn't come from a phony sense of superiority.

    Nice post. I guess I need to say this

  8. #188
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ed2962 View Post
    But Batman's suit IS illogical and impractical.
    Yes, but like i said it looks good, so we run with it. Besides, it too has had many changes over the years to make it more "digestible" for modern audiences. The yellow emblem is gone, the bodysuit looks armoured, and the belt is more practical looking than that capsule one.
    Quote Originally Posted by tangentman View Post
    ...and the States hardly have a monopoly on injustice, class warfare, or other evils. A lot of things posters here find detestable were inherited from European forebears (English colonialism, anyone?) and mutated into something ugly.

    I've supported Occupy and am HARDLY "rabidly pro-American". However, the comments and attitudes alluded to by wagthedog come across as smug in their critiques. I'm a lot more open to the dialogue people here seem to want about America's flaws when it doesn't come from a phony sense of superiority.
    Speaking for myself, i am not anti-american. I just dont buy that America is heaven on earth. No country is. I'd have the same issues if my own country published a comicbook or story about us being the best thing ever.

    And with WW, i'd have less of a problem with her wearing the flag if she looked good. She doesnt, which compounds the logical issues.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswithoutaface View Post
    I have no idea. Probably. Where are you going with that? Are all immigrants to the US willfully loyal to their native country, and go through the motions of reciting the pledge of allegiance, but secretly want to see the United States burn to the ground?
    Of course not. But they still identify as Italians or Germans or whatever. The US doesnt become their motherland.
    Last edited by Dr. Hurt; 12-10-2013 at 05:45 AM.

  9. #189
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Eyeswithoutaface View Post
    By the sounds of it, she just isn't 'your' superhero unless you take a horse-sized deuce all over her history. Meawhile, Captain Fanwank, wearing a crappy nonsensical suit is about to internationally laugh his ass off all the way to the bank for a third time.
    But Cap.America was concieved to be captain fanwank. It's his thing and i can go with it. WW wasnt. She never had the role Cap or Superman had when it comes to America. She just wears the flag because it was cool back in Marston's time. Because "slap the japs" and "kill the krauts" or whatever. There was never a real story rational behind it, it was just marketing.

    And i dont think i am asking to take a deuce on her when i ask that she gets a better suit.

  10. #190
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    But Cap.America was concieved to be captain fanwank. It's his thing and i can go with it. WW wasnt. She never had the role Cap or Superman had when it comes to America. She just wears the flag because it was cool back in Marston's time. Because "slap the japs" and "kill the krauts" or whatever. There was never a real story rational behind it, it was just marketing.

    And i dont think i am asking to take a deuce on her when i ask that she gets a better suit.
    I disagree.

    From the start she was tied to the war via Steve Trevor and the US military. Her secret ID was as a US army nurse. She came to America because a US pilot crashed on her shores.

    America and WWII were integral to her origin. The costume given to her by her mother after she won the Contest was designed to be American and to reflect the fact that Diana was entering man's world as an American ally.




    The problem comes with CoIE when they retconned her out of existence and had to update the origin. Now that idea no longer applies, but originally it was the entire point of the Amazons sending someone to represent them.

  11. #191
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,537

    Default

    Yes, i know about the origin. But what about every other story after that? WW never had that "avatar of America" role that Superman and Cap had in universe.

  12. #192
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,360

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    Yes, i know about the origin. But what about every other story after that? WW never had that "avatar of America" role that Superman and Cap had in universe.
    I dunno...I think at the time she did. Cap and WW both kinda faltered after the war, which is why they had to wake up Steve Rogers decades later, but Diana kept going. During that time, she changed over the intervening years.

    In doing so, Cap maintained his 'patriotic soldier/All American' identity, but Diana's faded.

  13. #193
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Gaelforce View Post
    I dunno...I think at the time she did. Cap and WW both kinda faltered after the war, which is why they had to wake up Steve Rogers decades later, but Diana kept going. During that time, she changed over the intervening years.

    In doing so, Cap maintained his 'patriotic soldier/All American' identity, but Diana's faded.
    Wasn't that just the tone back then for heroic comics? You fought Nazies as part of the effort in the war, preferably Hitler once in a while, while being patriotic about it? Like the JSA had it in it's name. (Also helped that most comics from that time were US printed)

    Cap I get why and hows he can genuinely be the patriot of the comicbook world today, since he is a time capsule like Jonah Hex is right now.
    Diana on the other hand, with the COIE reboot broke all the old patriotic ties she had with the US. Her uniform was that way because of Diane Trevor's marks, and she only went to the US because of Trevor (as I remeber) and not because he claimed the US was the best place to be from an ideological standpoint.

  14. #194
    Top Carnivore Lafanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,648

    Default

    If Snyder goes with something like this Greek battle dress look (which I think is very likely) then WW can still rock the iconic red and blue, and the eagle motif without automatically associating it with the American flag, especially if they use stylized stars versus star-spangled. The bottom line for me is no royal would ever wear the flag of any foreign country, maybe not even their own country. Soldiers are the closest thing we have to patriotic superheroes and no uniform in any branch of the US military wears red, white and blue with eagles and stars.

    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	image.jpg 
Views:	25 
Size:	47.7 KB 
ID:	123018

  15. #195
    Senior Member UsagiTsukino's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    2,140

    Default

    This is also another reason to tie her to her gods or have it be a natural color for warriors in Paradise Island.



    Is another outfit.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •