Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Animal Man, #25

"Animal Man" #25 takes Buddy and Ellen Baker to the Hollywood Screen Awards where Jeff Lemire and Rafael Albuquerque throw some frightening surprises at them.

Full review here.

Wasn't sure how Albuquerque's art would translate across to Animal Man, but turns out it translates spectacularly well. Looks like things are going in a strange new direction following this issue too.

This book continues to be great and super weird as well. A whispering cat, a sort of down-home straight talking shepherd, a high-strung wife...it's just a great comic. I hope it doesn't get cancelled as I don't think sales are particularly awesome. Lemire just excels at creepiness too.

That said, I'm finding the villains of the current arc to be a bit bland. Brother Blood hasn't done much except stand around making grand pronouncements and his followers are kind of generic. Buddy Baker's allies are pretty strange which means the villains have to be even stranger, and crazier.
    “Wonder Woman is a lame superhero...She flies around in her invisible jet and her weaponry is a lasso that makes you tell the truth. I just don’t get it.” -- Megan Fox

I thought Brother Blood was a bit silly at first, but I really dig what's happening in the Red and Brother Blood's tie into that (which is actually similar to what's been going on in Swamp Thing too). But yeah, it's quirky titles like this that play to Lemire's strengths - creepy, and with a personal/emotional touch.

Also hoping this run lasts a long time despite the sales - I think it will garner more acclaim once it's over, which is unfortunate.

Ill say it again, its a shame so many people dropped this book a while back; its just great.
    KingConan|Hellboy|BlackScience|EastOfWest|Fatale|L azarus|Prophet|Saga|Umbral|Velvet|Harbinger|Rai|Unity|XO
    ASW|Batman|GL+C|JL+U|RL|SwampThing|WonderWoman
    _ N U Avengers|Cap|DD|MK|Thor

I don't really know why I haven't jumped on this book yet as pretty much everything by Jeff Lemire I've enjoyed and Rafael Albuquerque is a pretty impressive artist. I'm probably going to give this book a shot myself along with Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, & The Flash with their next issues as I have recently cut Earth 2, Supergirl, Batwoman, Justice League of America & Batman and... from my pull-list so that should free up some room for the DC books that aren't just more Batman and Superman.
    Reviews
    Top 5 Marvel: Daredevil, SSM, Avengers Undercover, ANFX, Black Widow | Top 5 DC: Green Arrow, ST, Batman, RL, Phantom Stranger

Quote Originally Posted by BaneofKings View Post
    I don't really know why I haven't jumped on this book yet as pretty much everything by Jeff Lemire I've enjoyed and Rafael Albuquerque is a pretty impressive artist. I'm probably going to give this book a shot myself along with Red Lanterns, Swamp Thing, & The Flash with their next issues as I have recently cut Earth 2, Supergirl, Batwoman, Justice League of America & Batman and... from my pull-list so that should free up some room for the DC books that aren't just more Batman and Superman.
    Picking up two titles by Soule and one by Lemire is a good move, in my eyes. Hopefully you join the Animal Man/Swamp Thing fan-base!
    Pull List: Animal Man, Avengers Arena, Suicide Risk, Suicide Squad, Superior Foes, Swamp Thing, X-Men
    Trade Waiting: Superior Spider-Man, Unwritten, The Walking Dead