Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 35
  1. #1
    Mild-Mannered Reporter
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    Posts
    28,866

    Default REVIEW: Uncanny X-Men, #14

    Brian Michael Bendis and Chris Bachalo deliver a blessedly small character story of a new mutant in "Cyclops' army" in "Uncanny X-Men" #14.


    Full review here.

  2. #2
    Young Avenger The Alone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Water Tribe
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Is Benjamin anyone else's new fav character? And I love how at the end Cyclops let him know that he wasn't really mad at him, cuz when Scott was yelling, I thought that Benjamin was gonna hate him, but alls well that ends well :) LOVED this issue.

  3. #3
    s p o i l e r s ! Kerukun878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Alone View Post
    Is Benjamin anyone else's new fav character? And I love how at the end Cyclops let him know that he wasn't really mad at him, cuz when Scott was yelling, I thought that Benjamin was gonna hate him, but alls well that ends well :) LOVED this issue.
    He's not exactly my favorite character, but of the current cast of students he's one of two I actually like.
    "Shh... you were always here, waiting for yourself to arrive." -- Jean Grey, New X-Men 153

  4. #4
    Veteran Member Juggernaut Punch's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    6,518

    Default

    I haven't warmed on any of the students, I just feel like they're a waste of time and misplaced in this book. Cyclops opening a new school in the first place was stupid. What's the point of training kids from the ground up when shit is going down right now? Especially when there is a whole array of well trained mutant soldiers just dicking around off-panel.

    I thought the premise that Gillen set up at the end of Consequences was promising. That Cyclops would send people to the JGS for training on how to control their powers and he would spend his time fighting the good fight. I mean, did anyone go into this book because they wanted to read a school book?

  5. #5
    Young Avenger The Alone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Water Tribe
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerukun878 View Post
    He's not exactly my favorite character, but of the current cast of students he's one of two I actually like.
    Please say that your other one is eva! Because besides those two and the cukoos of course the students are pretty forgetable. (Goldballs is ok though!)

  6. #6
    s p o i l e r s ! Kerukun878's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2010
    Posts
    3,132

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Alone View Post
    Please say that your other one is eva! Because besides those two and the cukoos of course the students are pretty forgetable. (Goldballs is ok though!)
    It is Eva. I feel like I don't know Hijack enough and I just don't enjoy Christopher Muse or Goldballs. The O5 are the O5, a totally different class, so I don't count them. For some off reason I wasn't counting the Cuckoo's, either. XD
    "Shh... you were always here, waiting for yourself to arrive." -- Jean Grey, New X-Men 153

  7. #7
    ♥♥ dilettante ♥♥ Pixie_Solanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    san francisco - the free range twink farm
    Posts
    46,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Alone View Post
    Is Benjamin anyone else's new fav character?
    No. I enjoyed the issue for what it was without having to attach declaratives to the characters. Besides, they SHOULD be part of an interesting narrative. Just because they are doesn't make them my favorite. They're finally being of service. Good. I won't give them any undue praise for that. In fact, I still hate them. But I got a good story, so i'm not completely loaded on vitriol and amphetamines.

  8. #8
    Young Avenger The Alone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Water Tribe
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kerukun878 View Post
    It is Eva. I feel like I don't know Hijack enough and I just don't enjoy Christopher Muse or Goldballs. The O5 are the O5, a totally different class, so I don't count them. For some off reason I wasn't counting the Cuckoo's, either. XD
    Yeah I feel the same about the O5. And the Cuckoos are flawless! How can you not love them and their attitude(s)? I would like it if angel stayed closer to the new students than the O5, just because I think it would throw things off and be cool. Chris just keeps on changing personality- from scared to cheeky (I love Eva!) to confused/scared again to consoling (Benjamin). I feel like if we got a look in his head, he would be much more likeable.

  9. #9
    Young Avenger The Alone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Water Tribe
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Pixie_Solanas View Post
    No. I enjoyed the issue for what it was without having to attach declaratives to the characters. Besides, they SHOULD be part of an interesting narrative. Just because they are doesn't make them my favorite. They're finally being of service. Good. I won't give them any undue praise for that. In fact, I still hate them. But I got a good story, so i'm not completely loaded on vitriol and amphetamines.
    I know I might sound a little excited, but that's just because I feel like Benjamin is just like me. We're seriously like the same person and reading this issue really made me like him and the teachers and the book more. This is one of my favorite books, and I'm glad I got to spend this issue with a character that I really like so far. I don't necessarily understand why you hate the students I love, but I respect your opinion. Much Love from the East Coast!

  10. #10
    Homosexual Propagandist Supernature's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    713

    Default

    This was a really good issue tbh.

    Bendis should keep this up.

  11. #11
    ♥♥ dilettante ♥♥ Pixie_Solanas's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    Location
    san francisco - the free range twink farm
    Posts
    46,128

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Alone View Post
    I know I might sound a little excited, but that's just because I feel like Benjamin is just like me. We're seriously like the same person and reading this issue really made me like him and the teachers and the book more. This is one of my favorite books, and I'm glad I got to spend this issue with a character that I really like so far. I don't necessarily understand why you hate the students I love, but I respect your opinion. Much Love from the East Coast!
    Cheers, The Alone.

  12. #12
    Senior Member ascended's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Posts
    2,511

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Alone View Post
    I know I might sound a little excited, but that's just because I feel like Benjamin is just like me. We're seriously like the same person and reading this issue really made me like him and the teachers and the book more. This is one of my favorite books, and I'm glad I got to spend this issue with a character that I really like so far. I don't necessarily understand why you hate the students I love, but I respect your opinion. Much Love from the East Coast!
    I felt the same way when Green Lantern Kyle Rayner was introduced back in the early 90's. That guy was me; aspiring artist, heavy metal fan, fan of pretty women, I was even on a big weight lifting kick at the time and had a similar physique (which I miss). I was also discovering the DC Universe at the time so we were both rookies of a sort.

    As for this issue, I really liked it. These are the kinds of stories I enjoy. The "giant event crossover" lost its luster for me years ago. And I'm slowly enjoying the new students. They're fine for what they are. I love the Cuckoo sisters of course, as any sane person should. And Eva Bell is interesting, I think she just might have what it takes to become an X-regular. Goldballs is fun for that oddball niche character who you know will never carry a prominent role and is likely to be Event cannon fodder because he's just popular/interesting enough. And I dont really feel like I know enough about the others to have an opinion of them one way or another.

    Benjamin here, this issue....well like I said I enjoyed the issue and the character work. Benjamin became much more interesting to me. I used to forget he was even around. But I still find him less entertaining than Goldballs and less endearing then Eva. But I remember him now.

    And Emma was of course, absolutely perfect.

  13. #13
    F&*k BOTA!!! Hariel0079's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2012
    Location
    Connecticut
    Posts
    10,476

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut Punch View Post
    I haven't warmed on any of the students, I just feel like they're a waste of time and misplaced in this book. Cyclops opening a new school in the first place was stupid. What's the point of training kids from the ground up when shit is going down right now? Especially when there is a whole array of well trained mutant soldiers just dicking around off-panel.

    I thought the premise that Gillen set up at the end of Consequences was promising. That Cyclops would send people to the JGS for training on how to control their powers and he would spend his time fighting the good fight. I mean, did anyone go into this book because they wanted to read a school book?
    I can't wait til this opinion of yours flips

  14. #14
    Young Avenger The Alone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2013
    Location
    Southern Water Tribe
    Posts
    127

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ascended View Post
    I felt the same way when Green Lantern Kyle Rayner was introduced back in the early 90's. That guy was me; aspiring artist, heavy metal fan, fan of pretty women, I was even on a big weight lifting kick at the time and had a similar physique (which I miss). I was also discovering the DC Universe at the time so we were both rookies of a sort.

    As for this issue, I really liked it. These are the kinds of stories I enjoy. The "giant event crossover" lost its luster for me years ago. And I'm slowly enjoying the new students. They're fine for what they are. I love the Cuckoo sisters of course, as any sane person should. And Eva Bell is interesting, I think she just might have what it takes to become an X-regular. Goldballs is fun for that oddball niche character who you know will never carry a prominent role and is likely to be Event cannon fodder because he's just popular/interesting enough. And I dont really feel like I know enough about the others to have an opinion of them one way or another.

    Benjamin here, this issue....well like I said I enjoyed the issue and the character work. Benjamin became much more interesting to me. I used to forget he was even around. But I still find him less entertaining than Goldballs and less endearing then Eva. But I remember him now.

    And Emma was of course, absolutely perfect.
    Is there a better word than perfect? Yes there is: Frost. :D

  15. #15
    Post Editing OCD Confuzzled Mutie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2011
    Posts
    2,631

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by The Alone View Post
    Is Benjamin anyone else's new fav character? And I love how at the end Cyclops let him know that he wasn't really mad at him, cuz when Scott was yelling, I thought that Benjamin was gonna hate him, but alls well that ends well :) LOVED this issue.
    Yes, he's the best teen mutant since the NXM! Sorry Idie. Here are some cool observations made about Benjamin and his powers in the other UXM #14 thread-

    Quote Originally Posted by worstblogever View Post
    This is probably the best new shape-shifter in awhile. He can't become someone else... but he can become someone who reminds you of yourself, and thus you're compelled to trust and comply with him?

    Not only does it make his power applicable and unique... it plays a lot into the idea of what prejudice IS. Which when the whole underlying theme of X-Men tackles it... he's a walking counter to the entire phenomenon, by using positive bias as a tool.


    I really love Benjamin's concept, overall. I can't help but take my hat off to Bendis for this one.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Complicated View Post
    I just realized that Benjamin could be a pretty good anti-impostor tool. Say he comes across Mystique disguised as Dazzler and tries to use his feel-good powers on her then he might just turn blue with red hair and blow her cover.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •