Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Geoff Johns Talks "Forever Evil's" First Act

With three issues down and four to go, Geoff Johns talks "Forever Evil" with CBR News, and what it's like getting into to Lex Luthor's head.

Full article here.

He certainly nailed the "forever" part of the title. It already seems like this storyline has already been dragged out for far too long, yet it keeps going till St. Patrick's day. And it's not even Thanksgiving yet.

Quote Originally Posted by jloder24 View Post
    He certainly nailed the "forever" part of the title. It already seems like this storyline has already been dragged out for far too long, yet it keeps going till St. Patrick's day. And it's not even Thanksgiving yet.
    Agreed. However it has been somewhat enjoyable.
    Last edited by blkson; 11-21-2013 at 07:41 PM.

Yeah, I really wished they'd had gone weekly or bi-monthly on this title. They're already touting what's to come but that pesky Forever Evil is still in the way.

Well I've thoroughly enjoyed it so far, one of the better events in recent times. Looking forward to finally seeing who is under the hood and what happens to Dick.

New book is either Shazam or Metal M--- nah, its Shazam.
    Last.FM || Favorite Hero: Aquaman || Favorite Neutral: Red Hood || Favorite Villain: Black Manta

It's also been an uneven series with the weird 'coincidental' way the villains bump into each other. Compared to Marvel's Infinity, which has been written better because they didn't prolong, it seems clear that DC made a mistake by drawing this out. They should have focused on the interesting stuff, such as Ultraman's sadistic encounter with Lois and Jimmy as well as his sadly brief and strangely one-sided fight with Black Adam (should have been a much more even and prolonged battle) and less on the trapped heroes (a story that could be told in 1 or 2 issues). Condensing this and focusing on the more interesting elements would have made this possibly as good as Infinity. I'll stick around anyway to see how this all turns out and here's to hoping Johns gets to do a monthly Crime Syndicate series next year!

Quote Originally Posted by Doctor Voodoo View Post
    New book is either Shazam or Metal M--- nah, its Shazam.
    As long as Black Adam shows up a lot that might prove interesting. Please no Metal Men.

Quote Originally Posted by nukemind View Post
    It's also been an uneven series with the weird 'coincidental' way the villains bump into each other. Compared to Marvel's Infinity, which has been written better because they didn't prolong, it seems clear that DC made a mistake by drawing this out. They should have focused on the interesting stuff, such as Ultraman's sadistic encounter with Lois and Jimmy as well as his sadly brief and strangely one-sided fight with Black Adam (should have been a much more even and prolonged battle) and less on the trapped heroes (a story that could be told in 1 or 2 issues). Condensing this and focusing on the more interesting elements would have made this possibly as good as Infinity. I'll stick around anyway to see how this all turns out and here's to hoping Johns gets to do a monthly Crime Syndicate series next year!
    Yeah... Infinity has been drawn out as well. Not over the same amount of months as Forever Evil, but drawn out over 16 issues in three different books, some of which barely accomplish anything (Avengers #22 & Infinity #5) and often glance over plot elements (Avengers winning? Bah! No one needs to see that. Just show a montage and put more emphasis into the bad guys being stronger than them!). Both of these stories are drawn out or decompressed, but just in different ways.

Also, how could you tell this story could have been done in two or three issues when we are not even half way through? (also, how well would that read and would it have the same effect?)

But anyways, I am really excited to see where things go from here after this event and how the DC universe will turn out. Hopefully, they'll hold off on doing anymore events for a bit and let us relax with some new titles and creative changes.

Saying that the title could have been done differently doesn't mean I don't like what I'm reading. Been liking it pretty well. I just wish it was progressing faster. Seven months in which we have a good amount of padding. I haven't read issue #3 yet but in issue #2, they took the time to introduce us to Otis to kill him off a page or two later. No point to that except filling. We didn't get to know him well enough to care and I certainly hope the space wasn't taken up just to add a nod to a movie from the 70s. Besides, Johns has basically said that things are different after Forever Evil is over as if he's done here and now comes the good stuff. It makes Forever Evil seem like an obstacle we need to get through. A faster pace would be appreciated especially when there apparently will be some questions about what comes after to look forward to answering. Especially when we have a good amount of other titles apparently in holding pattern.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Yeah... Infinity has been drawn out as well. Not over the same amount of months as Forever Evil, but drawn out over 16 issues in three different books, some of which barely accomplish anything (Avengers #22 & Infinity #5) and often glance over plot elements (Avengers winning? Bah! No one needs to see that. Just show a montage and put more emphasis into the bad guys being stronger than them!). Both of these stories are drawn out or decompressed, but just in different ways.

Also, how could you tell this story could have been done in two or three issues when we are not even half way through? (also, how well would that read and would it have the same effect?)

But anyways, I am really excited to see where things go from here after this event and how the DC universe will turn out. Hopefully, they'll hold off on doing anymore events for a bit and let us relax with some new titles and creative changes.
    True, but with Infinity even the limited plot stories had some good scifi action. Ha, I do agree that I like watching the Avengers outmatched too though! They did have galactic allies though and hell they had to come back to Earth. My main point here is that the several month long event sometimes prolongs things badly and I've liked Infinity more than Forever Evil, but like the premise in Forever Evil more.

The dropped ball with the Ultraman-Black Adam brawl was strange and very brief. That should have been half an issue at least!

I'm not speaking of the future, this series may just pick up as it has shown moments of brilliance, but right now no Justice League and a lot of exposition of minor characters like Captain Cold (given the brutal nature of the Crime Syndicate you'd think they'd be dead by now), but the conflicts have been sporadic at best. Still, I'm sticking around because I do agree that the series may improve in a big way.

Not really feeling this event. It's not awful but it's not pulling me in, either. I guess I just don't really care to read an event where Lex Luthor is the main character. Throne of Atlantis I liked a lot - Forever Evil, not so much.

I'm liking Forever Evil so far, I just hope the pacing is more balanced, past events have seemed pretty rushed towards the end for me.

BANNED

I am not terribly invested in this story, partly because it's mostly centered around badguys I really don't care about once outside of their normal habitat, secondly it feels like the pacing is that of a snail. I would say that Infinity has better pacing, but that's because it's got all that space to move around in.

I've really enjoyed this event. I like the focus on the villains angle.
    Of course I just like comics, so I'm not looking for things to complain about either.