Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

So does anyone think that Cataclysm will actually solve the tear in reality that Sue and Logan caused during Age of Ultron or did that whole story element start and end the second Galactus crossed over to the UU? I believe at the end of Age of Ultron (or somewhere) it was said that the damage wasn't repairable. Do you think Bendis will even ever come back to this?
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    So does anyone think that Cataclysm will actually solve the tear in reality that Sue and Logan caused during Age of Ultron or did that whole story element start and end the second Galactus crossed over to the UU? I believe at the end of Age of Ultron (or somewhere) it was said that the damage wasn't repairable. Do you think Bendis will even ever come back to this?
    I remember reading somewhere that Bendis said "Once the door is opened it can't be closed" - or something like that.

I was originally writing this for the Cataclysm #4 thread, but it turned into more of a general rant, so I think it fits here even more. I've been basically thinking this since a few issues ago, but #4 really solidified it:

This is supposed to be a followup to the Galactus Trilogy, yet it pales in comparison. Read Ultimate Extinction #5 if you want to see some emotional weight added to taking on a threat this big. Read Ultimate Nightmare #1 if you want to see the horror that should be associated with the end of the world. Read Ultimate Secret if you want to see how characters can balance brevity and an extraterrestrial invasion.

Read Cataclysm if you want none of that. Read Cataclysm if you want characters to act stupid for the sake of the plot. Read Cataclysm if you want to see the Ultimates stand around and let a few teenagers take care of their dirty work. Read Cataclysm if you want to see one of Marvel's biggest bad guys treated with no importance. Read Cataclysm if you want characters to make jokes instead of making decisions.

I could honestly go on and on. I still think Bendis can be a good writer. Ultimate Spider-man is mostly good, despite pacing issues. I hear he's doing well on X-Men. But events are not his strong suit, and it seems he's getting worse at it. Age of Ultron was a disaster, and this isn't really any better.

The comparisons to Ultimatum are easy, and I honestly think I like Ultimatum better. The story telling flaws are probably more apparent in Loeb's event - the dropped plots, the lack of emotion, the terrible dialogue. But at least things HAPPENED! Bendis's dialogue isn't really much better, and I'd say Loeb - surprisingly - did a better job when it comes to balancing a large cast of characters. Cataclysm is probably more mediocre and bland than flat-out bad, but in a lot of ways, that's worse. This is supposed to be a major event for the Ultimate Universe, but instead it's just nothing.

Honestly, I'd rather have a bad story where stuff happens than this.
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post
    I was originally writing this for the Cataclysm #4 thread, but it turned into more of a general rant, so I think it fits here even more. I've been basically thinking this since a few issues ago, but #4 really solidified it:

This is supposed to be a followup to the Galactus Trilogy, yet it pales in comparison. Read Ultimate Extinction #5 if you want to see some emotional weight added to taking on a threat this big. Read Ultimate Nightmare #1 if you want to see the horror that should be associated with the end of the world. Read Ultimate Secret if you want to see how characters can balance brevity and an extraterrestrial invasion.

Read Cataclysm if you want none of that. Read Cataclysm if you want characters to act stupid for the sake of the plot. Read Cataclysm if you want to see the Ultimates stand around and let a few teenagers take care of their dirty work. Read Cataclysm if you want to see one of Marvel's biggest bad guys treated with no importance. Read Cataclysm if you want characters to make jokes instead of making decisions.

I could honestly go on and on. I still think Bendis can be a good writer. Ultimate Spider-man is mostly good, despite pacing issues. I hear he's doing well on X-Men. But events are not his strong suit, and it seems he's getting worse at it. Age of Ultron was a disaster, and this isn't really any better.

The comparisons to Ultimatum are easy, and I honestly think I like Ultimatum better. The story telling flaws are probably more apparent in Loeb's event - the dropped plots, the lack of emotion, the terrible dialogue. But at least things HAPPENED! Bendis's dialogue isn't really much better, and I'd say Loeb - surprisingly - did a better job when it comes to balancing a large cast of characters. Cataclysm is probably more mediocre and bland than flat-out bad, but in a lot of ways, that's worse. This is supposed to be a major event for the Ultimate Universe, but instead it's just nothing.

Wow...I guess I owe you an apology, Plawsky. I've accused you on more than one occassion of being an apologist of sorts. I took you as someone who would make excuses for Ultimate, no matter how poorly the stories panned out. And now this is so bad that even you can't justify it. I think that's a bad sign for this story and for Ultimate. So with that, I apologize for those previous accusations.

Right now, I'm more convinced than ever that Marvel just stopped caring about Ultimate. The only reason it is allowed to exist is so Bendis can keep writing Ultimate Spider-Man. The day he leaves is the day Ultimate ends.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

When you guys are mentioning Cataclysm #1 and #2, what books are you referring to. All I've been able to find are Cataclysm - Ultimate Comics Ultimates/Spider-Man/X-Men, and the 3 sets of last stand books. I can't find anything that is just Cataclysm. What am I missing?

Quote Originally Posted by liqiud View Post
    When you guys are mentioning Cataclysm #1 and #2, what books are you referring to. All I've been able to find are Cataclysm - Ultimate Comics Ultimates/Spider-Man/X-Men, and the 3 sets of last stand books. I can't find anything that is just Cataclysm. What am I missing?
    Any time it's just Cataclysm, that's referring to "Cataclysm: The Ultimates' Last Stand." Sorry about the confusion.

Also, welcome to the forums!
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Quote Originally Posted by Plawsky View Post

I share your feelings regarding this event plus I'm pretty much feeling this way towards everything Bendis has been writing lately. It's gotten to the point where it's a chore just to find something enjoyable about his work without the words "at least the art was good". Luckily there are A Lot of great books out there and I'm just going to have to not really be invested in these titles for a while. Seeing as how comics pretty much operate in cycles, I only need to be patient enough to wait for the next team or wave to hit.
    Be more constructive with your feedback -- Jemaine

This event has been disappointing.

It started off quite well, I think. The Ultimates tie-in was great and I think it's Fialkov's best work yet. I'm really happy with how he used the characters. The Ultimate Spider-Man tie-in was also an excellent companion to the series as it dealt with the ordinary heroics of saving people's lives, which many on this Ultimate Board have expressed an understated view upon this piece of substantial and important storytelling for an event like this. There was potential dotted about the books here and there. The premise was exciting. Cataclysm #0.1 was a gem. But then it all went down the toilet. Suddenly this supposedly big plan for the Ultimate Universe was actually not very smart, pretty dumb, and doesn't make a whole lot of sense in terms of character decisions. I had high hopes that this was going to be a really fun comic but after the previous couple of issues, I'm convinced that that there is no saving this title. Cataclysm #5 will have to be miraculously good to make this event worthwhile for me. The deaths were horrible, and I don't want to see a bad story giving them their send off. So in a way, the whole event did sort of become Ultimatum 2.0. Four months ago I would have said Cataclysm was going to be as good as Ultimatum should have been. And I turned out to be completely wrong. How many times does this universe want to break my heart? Can't it go six months without doing something awful?

Rant over.
    My country is the world...
    And my religion is to do good.

I have to say I rather enjoyed the start of this event and did enjoy the three mini series. But the main event after issue 2 has well be okay and issue 4 was bad. I can only hope that #5 can do something amazing but I don't believe it will.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

Ok, so Thor: God of Thunder #20 has Future Thor fighting Galactus:

Does anyone know if this future is canon to 616 or if it's its own alternate universe? If it is indeed 616 then Galactus does manage to get back to 616 but I wonder if he gets sent directly from the UU to this alternate future a'la Reed's foot device thingy. Hey, maybe that's how Reed gets past the whole "Do we send it back where it came from knowing how dangerous it is?" conundrum; He simply teleports it back to where it came from but several years in the future where Earth is already dead anyway.

Or, you know, the writers just do as they feel without regard to character continuity...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Ok, so Thor: God of Thunder #20 has Future Thor fighting Galactus:

Does anyone know if this future is canon to 616 or if it's its own alternate universe? If it is indeed 616 then Galactus does manage to get back to 616 but I wonder if he gets sent directly from the UU to this alternate future a'la Reed's foot device thingy. Hey, maybe that's how Reed gets past the whole "Do we send it back where it came from knowing how dangerous it is?" conundrum; He simply teleports it back to where it came from but several years in the future where Earth is already dead anyway.

Or, you know, the writers just do as they feel without regard to character continuity...
    ...Why are you not reading Thor: God of Thunder? It's epic and awesome! Plus it has Ribic doing the art of his career.

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    ...Why are you not reading Thor: God of Thunder? It's epic and awesome! Plus it has Ribic doing the art of his career.
    Ribic's art is so amazing, that book is so amazing. I never thought I would buy a Thor title but Aaron and Ribic are so money. I need to find some back issues that had Garney filling in. I heard that after Godbomb the series took a small dip but I like everything else I've read enough to give it a chance.

Also @Balfro, you hit the nail on the head with your last sentence.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Yea Aaron and Ribic's Thor has been amazing. Just an awesome epic feel to it. @Balfro That's a good question about future Thor being 616 canon and I don't think it has been addressed yet, but if it is then we need an explanation in Cataclysm 5 on why Galactus was sent back because I thought a conflict in the story was suppose to be that the Ultimates can't just send him back.

As for the event, haven't cared for it since #1 which was a huge let down since Hunger was great and the minis were well done.