Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default Poll: What is Your Favorite Batman-Based Multi-Title Crossover?

What is Your Favorite Batman-Based Multi-Title Crossover?

As "Zero Year" continues to sweep through a number of DC Comics titles, CBR asks: What is your all-time favorite multi-title Batman crossover

Vote on the poll here.

No Man's Land, though I have to admit, I bought the TPB volumes, and didn't really experience it as a multi-title cross-over.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

The entire KnightSaga, though Knightfall in particular was more consistently excellent than the other parts. Still, an altogether great epic, even if some parts dragged a bit and not all the artwork was top notch (the Aparo and Nolan parts were, for the most part).

Not only does it hold up, it gets better every time I read it, thanks to further context from reading older material. Unlike Death of Superman, which was from around the same time, and doesn't hold up nearly as well.
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

I've only read Night of the Owls and 3/4s of No Man's Land, so No Man's Land is obvious winner.

That said Death of the Family is next on my list, Knightfall has been on my list for quite some time, and despite the bad press I'm still interested in War Games.

Tough call, but I voted for prodigal. It brought closure to the decades old Bruce/Dick hostilities. I hated the art in the final issue but the conversation between Bruce and Dick is great stuff. It really hit me in my fanboy spot.

Is Contagion lumped in with Legacy? I'm not seeing it on the poll.

And it seems like there must be some missing. Because a large percentage of the poll choices are complete stinkers (Officer Down, Resurrection of Ra's, Death of the Family, War Games, Knightquest: the Search, etc.). Surely there have been some other good ones over the years at some point? And was Knightfall really the first?

Anyway, out of the choices offered, I think I liked Contagion/Legacy the most. Then Knightfall, I guess. After that... eh. Maybe NML?

Quote Originally Posted by stk View Post
    Is Contagion lumped in with Legacy? I'm not seeing it on the poll.

And it seems like there must be some missing. Because a large percentage of the poll choices are complete stinkers (Officer Down, Resurrection of Ra's, Death of the Family, War Games, Knightquest: the Search, etc.). Surely there have been some other good ones over the years at some point? And was Knightfall really the first?

Anyway, out of the choices offered, I think I liked Contagion/Legacy the most. Then Knightfall, I guess. After that... eh. Maybe NML?
    I agree many of those are stinkers, but I have to disagree with Death of the Family. I loved it. But to answer your question, no, Knightfall was not the first. I believe it was Destroyer, which ran 1 issue each of Batman, Detective, and LotDK. Not significant in and of itself, it DID eliminate many of the Silver and Bronze age pieces of architecture in Gotham. I recall the GCPD building was drawn the same for many years, as was the Wayne Foundation building, with that absurd tree in the middle. After Destroyer, we experienced an Anton Furst (actually designed or just inspired by, I don't recall) skyline. Both the "old" Gotham Central and Wayne foundation buildings were introduced, and continued to be depicted as such up through the end of the Post Crisis era. Technically, Batman and Detective also crossed over as a kind of bi-weekly series for several years in the early and mid 1980's while Doug Moench wrote both titles.

I did vote for Knightfall, though I really think that that is only one chapter of a massive epic. To be fair, everything from Vengeance of Bane through The Troika should be included, branded with a banner/logo or not. There's some good build up in the pre-Knightfall part 1 issues, side portions in Robin and Catwoman, plus both of the crossover books with the Punisher make reference to current events. Plus, without all that, Neither volume of Knightquest makes sense, and especially not Knight's End or Prodigal. It's really not until after Bruce's true return in the Troika that things go back to being less crossover-ish. If I remember correctly, it was about that time that we started seeing "1 of 1" bat symbols on the cover. They knew fans were suffering from crossover and long storyline fatigue.

does jokers last laugh count?
    i loved that story
    ill have to go with no mans land then
    i held out on reading it for years
    stating it was ridiculous that were expected to believe
    that the US would write off an entire city and simply leave all its people to die
    then hurricane katrina...
    Knight is not dead he's just waiting for a new steed

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    No Man's Land, though I have to admit, I bought the TPB volumes, and didn't really experience it as a multi-title cross-over.
    Ditto for me. I wasn't reading Batman back then. But I now own the 4 volumes and love them.

Quote Originally Posted by PyroSikTh View Post
    I've only read Night of the Owls and 3/4s of No Man's Land, so No Man's Land is obvious winner.

That said Death of the Family is next on my list, Knightfall has been on my list for quite some time, and despite the bad press I'm still interested in War Games.
    Death of the Family wasn't really considered a winner, either.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.