Page 12 of 18 FirstFirst ... 28910111213141516 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by marvelguy25 View Post
    speaking of that, i wonder if slott will reveal to the the city that peter pakrer is spiderman tahnsk to otto's fuck up or something the goblin did. heck, with his identity revealed, i wonder how this whole thing will play out for peter once he cames back or will otto come up with som ething so genius that it will..cost...peter and him his............i better hope that marvel is really not gonna let peter regress even further. i mean it's obvious he'll lose the job, but maybe if they used a way like that, they might choose to return him to his lee/ditko state. i know i've said too much but it is marvel sometimes. heck, i wonder when will we see mister fear again. i mean i don't think he showed up in waid's run on daredevil since his wife reappeared in that book so i wonder what waid will do to him.
    Would not surprise me if he did screw up and get Peter's name out there again. Knowing Marvel with their brain trust right now, I'm not sure. They take two steps forward and one step back. Otto's a genius but it's the goblins, they are underhanded jerks and will do pretty much anything to get what they want. Mr. Fear coming back would be cool, for me I would prefer Peter to go back into teaching and using that as his base. He's going to need to lay low for a while and probably clean up all the crap that Otto did, because how many villains will believe that Peter was Otto? Seriously.

Quote Originally Posted by Darkspellmaster View Post
    Can I ask which AMC drama you're thinking of? If Anna does die then that would be on Otto, although knowing Otto he'd not blame himself. He'd put the blame squarely on the goblins. Which, again, would show that he really hasn't learned what he needs to learn. The actions of the individual are there own, their own mistakes can't be blamed on others actions when they make moves that could endanger the lives of others. I hope not either, because the fits people would have would be staggering, and I'm not sure it will be Carlie due to connections. I hope it's not Flash, and really really hope that it's not JJ's dad, because that dude may be the only other person that has been noting that Pete's not been Pete. It's a toss up for Pedro. While I'm sure that he's not going anywhere, he may be cannon fodder if the Goblins figure "To hurt Spider-man we need to hurt those that he cares about." and given that Otto's willing to indicate that he's working with Spider-man as Peter, you can bet the Goblins won't take two and two and equal four out of this situation. Or they'll go after Peter's friends to get to Peter so he can be used to get to the Spider. Either way it's going to be bad for various characters.

This is a hard one to answer, since it seems like editorial and others like the idea of writing Peter from the college era. To my knowledge Aaron and Spencer may, but again it depends on when they read Peter first and what sticks in their heads as writers. Most of the writers you mentioned grew up reading Peter when he was in college at the time, so mostly they read the teenage/young adult version of Peter, the one that didn't have to deal with a lot of stuff that older Pete deals with. Other writers that are probably coming up the ranks right now probably grew up with the cartoon and adult peter from around the Clone Saga forward. This peter is usually more mature, or they started to read in college more and were around with the JMS run where he was written as more adult but still a funny amusing person. You can write adult characters that can appeal to a youthful audience, hell it's done every day on various dramas.

With Peter what it comes down to is that right now the boomer generation in editorial seem to want "Their" Peter, the one that was in college and had adventures with MJ and Gwen. The problem is that the readers right now come from a period that ranges from the Boomers into the millennium group, and because the younger gen sort of grew up with the cartoon and an older peter, it became a case of "Our" vs "their" Peter to a lot of people. So right now we have a peter that kind of in flux. I hope that makes sense.
    makes sense. but didn't peter started to act like an adult in the 80s? you know, when people like roger stern, tom defalco, david michillinie, and jm dematteis started out. if he started to act like one during clone saga, then boy that is one great hell they've come across.

i awas talking about a show like breaking bad. i won't mention walking dead since season 2 was boring and that scene with that fat zombie in the well was stupid as hell and i didn't watch much of season 3 since i was so busy.

i hope j jonah jameson doesn't die either. heck, kafka didn't deserve to die since i kind of see someone want to do more with her. i hope the 2 goblins won't die. i love the hoggoblin and i certaintly don't want norman to die yet. heck, harry should've gilled in norman's place during BND to build some emotions if peter remebered and would've been perfect for dark reign. heck, harry was mentally damaged because of his father and everyone who ignored him so it would've been great to see how big harry would've accomplished. heck, i could'v iomagined him taking norman's place in season 3 of tssm dropping off gwen at the bridge. but instead we got harry venom in that shitty USM cartoon. heck, since agents of S.M.A.S.H. came along, the show looks like goofey and less like a toy commercial since that show wasn't very subtle enough and made the hulk seem creepy when he's smart. i know the hulk's literate and all, but seeing him act like a bigger genius makes me wish illiterate hulk was back. and that's the version i prefer.

makes sense. but didn't peter started to act like an adult in the 80s? you know, when people like roger stern, tom defalco, david michillinie, and jm dematteis started out. if he started to act like one during clone saga, then boy that is one great hell they've come across.
    Yes and no. Yes they allowed him to mature as a character because at the time people were tired of the "College age" peter who pretty much had done a lot. Back then comics were going into a different phase then it is right now, and the market at the time was slightly larger so you had more of a chance to try out to make character move forward. However there were a lot of set backs, including an issue where Peter slapped the then pregnant MJ. It was a mixed piece of comics, and while they did allow for growth, one thing that was going on was the whole thing with the Clones that were going to allow Peter to be taken out and Ben to become the lead. Which upset fans which brought about the whole situation with the changes for the Clone saga. So Yes to have him act more mature is great, just that we don't want him falling into a pattern.

i awas talking about a show like breaking bad. i won't mention walking dead since season 2 was boring and that scene with that fat zombie in the well was stupid as hell and i didn't watch much of season 3 since i was so busy.
    In a way it is, at least Slott has been moving him forward vs some writers that would like him to stay in a perpetual state of grow/regress.

i hope j jonah jameson doesn't die either. heck, kafka didn't deserve to die since i kind of see someone want to do more with her. i hope the 2 goblins won't die. i love the hoggoblin and i certaintly don't want norman to die yet. heck, harry should've gilled in norman's place during BND to build some emotions if peter remebered and would've been perfect for dark reign. heck, harry was mentally damaged because of his father and everyone who ignored him so it would've been great to see how big harry would've accomplished. heck, i could'v iomagined him taking norman's place in season 3 of tssm dropping off gwen at the bridge. but instead we got harry venom in that shitty USM cartoon. heck, since agents of S.M.A.S.H. came along, the show looks like goofey and less like a toy commercial since that show wasn't very subtle enough and made the hulk seem creepy when he's smart. i know the hulk's literate and all, but seeing him act like a bigger genius makes me wish illiterate hulk was back. and that's the version i prefer.
    JJ isn't going anywhere because too many people like him. I wish Harry would be used more, but having him around would be a bad thing since Otto probably wouldn't be able to trick him. I don't think Harry in Spectacular would be the best to drop Gwen off the bridge, it probably would have been norman since that's his thing. Making it into Harry would have probably been a big problem with regard to the ending of the story. This, in regard to the new cartoons, is because of the fact that the cartoons are now on a single episode feel because the producers don't think that kids can handle subplots and over arching storylines. Cartoon network seems to think the same regarding kids shows as well, see Young Justice, Green Lantern, and now probably Beware the Batman.

Yes and no. Yes they allowed him to mature as a character because at the time people were tired of the "College age" peter who pretty much had done a lot. Back then comics were going into a different phase then it is right now, and the market at the time was slightly larger so you had more of a chance to try out to make character move forward. However there were a lot of set backs, including an issue where Peter slapped the then pregnant MJ. It was a mixed piece of comics, and while they did allow for growth, one thing that was going on was the whole thing with the Clones that were going to allow Peter to be taken out and Ben to become the lead. Which upset fans which brought about the whole situation with the changes for the Clone saga. So Yes to have him act more mature is great, just that we don't want him falling into a pattern.

In a way it is, at least Slott has been moving him forward vs some writers that would like him to stay in a perpetual state of grow/regress.

JJ isn't going anywhere because too many people like him. I wish Harry would be used more, but having him around would be a bad thing since Otto probably wouldn't be able to trick him. I don't think Harry in Spectacular would be the best to drop Gwen off the bridge, it probably would have been norman since that's his thing. Making it into Harry would have probably been a big problem with regard to the ending of the story. This, in regard to the new cartoons, is because of the fact that the cartoons are now on a single episode feel because the producers don't think that kids can handle subplots and over arching storylines. Cartoon network seems to think the same regarding kids shows as well, see Young Justice, Green Lantern, and now probably Beware the Batman.
    young justice builded up characters and sub plots as did beware of the batman and green lantern. i have no idea what you're talking about? i think the shows you should be talking about is avengers assemble with 12 % build up and development and 88 % fighting and light saber noises while hulk agents of smash is just a cash in to make the hulk look cool but worse than what ultimate spiderman is doing. even seth green disappoints me.

Don't remind me that Young Justice and Green Lantern got cancelled! That was horrible!

And I'm happy to see this thread going in a positive direction!

Spider-man/DCU Moderator ShaggyB's Avatar

No, he's not Peter Parker, he's Otto Octavius. He is himself, just as you are yourself. Example: Let's say you take on your best friends name, his looks, and hang out with his family calling yourself by their name. Does that make you that person? No because you never had any relationships with the family, or bonding with them. you didn't have your pal's life experiences, you only had your own because you are not your friend. You may look like him, act and talk like him or her, but you are not them because you didn't grow up, have the same life, or think like they would. You are you, just as Otto is Otto. He's just playing Invasion of the Body snatchers.
    It seems youve missed my point. Lets look at your example. I take my friends looks and name. Now lets say that friend died. Lets say all his family and friends dont know that. Lets say for all intents and purposes I am my friend. Now lets take it to the next level as has been done in Spidey books. Lets say I, as my friend, meet someone new. To that person, who has no exposure to the old version of me, who am I? To answer that and your question in the terms of Spidey's new girl.... Am I that person.... Yes, I am the friend... especially to the new person.

hey, we're
    Quote Originally Posted by Rosebunse View Post
    Don't remind me that Young Justice and Green Lantern got cancelled! That was horrible!

And I'm happy to see this thread going in a positive direction!
    hey, we're here to come up with ideas and give our opinions. heck, it could be worse. we could see a bunch of people bitching about manhatten project insulting alot of our historical figures when it's clearly part comedy and many medias and stories in fiction have already done that. just check them out at scans daily and you'll be shocked as to what you'll find.

hey, we're

hey, we're here to come up with ideas and give our opinions. heck, it could be worse. we could see a bunch of people bitching about manhatten project insulting alot of our historical figures when it's clearly part comedy and many medias and stories in fiction have already done that. just check them out at scans daily and you'll be shocked as to what you'll find.
    I was referring to the previous discussions about the legality of rape.

I was referring to the previous discussions about the legality of rape.
    In fairness, that is kind of what this thread is about. If you don't want to talk about rape, you probably shouldn't post in a thread where it's talked about from the very first post.
    Last edited by Kevin Nichols; 12-01-2013 at 06:20 PM.
    "Women... they come and go, but the Jonah is eternal." - ViewtifulJC

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    In fairness, that is kind of what this thread is about. If you don't want to talk about rape, you probably shouldn't post in a thread where it's talked about from the very first post.
    But that's like all it's about. Besides, no woman likes being intentionally lied to like that.

But that's like all it's about. Besides, no woman likes being intentionally lied to like that.
    Nobody - man or woman - likes being lied to, especially by someone they care about. However, this has been happening in comics since the beginning of comics. Virtually every costumed character since the very beginning has lied to his/her significant other to protect their secret identity. What Ock is doing with Anna Maria is no different than what any other costumed character (hero or villain) has done. For a recent example, look at Phil Urich and Norah Winters. I didn't hear anyone crying rape on that one, even though Phil was a villain who was clearly using Norah to satisfy his own selfish needs. Where's the difference?

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Nichols View Post
    Nobody - man or woman - likes being lied to, especially by someone they care about. However, this has been happening in comics since the beginning of comics. Virtually every costumed character since the very beginning has lied to his/her significant other to protect their secret identity. What Ock is doing with Anna Maria is no different than what any other costumed character (hero or villain) has done. For a recent example, look at Phil Urich and Norah Winters. I didn't hear anyone crying rape on that one, even though Phil was a villain who was clearly using Norah to satisfy his own selfish needs. Where's the difference?
    Phil was still Phil during that time. And no one was saying that what he was doing wasn't wrong.

Phil was still Phil during that time. And no one was saying that what he was doing wasn't wrong.
    But he didn't disclose his secret identity to Norah. Neither of his secret identities, actually. Just like Ock hasn't disclosed either of his secret identities to Anna Maria. It's the same thing. And I don't remember people crying "RAPE!" when Phil and Norah hooked up.

Just because this thread is what "it's about" doesn't mean you have to pander to the notion, leave it alone, seriously. People that are inferring this into a comic should be ashamed of themselves.
    Why should I want to make anything up? Life's bad enough as it is without trying to invent any more of it.

"First you take a drink, then the drink takes a drink, then the drink takes you."

young justice builded up characters and sub plots as did beware of the batman and green lantern. i have no idea what you're talking about? i think the shows you should be talking about is avengers assemble with 12 % build up and development and 88 % fighting and light saber noises while hulk agents of smash is just a cash in to make the hulk look cool but worse than what ultimate spiderman is doing. even seth green disappoints me.
    Marvel Studios animation is right now headed by Jeph Loeb. One of the things he stated in interviews in regard to the way the animation of cartoons with regard to the Marvel series will follow is a single or at most double episode format. This way the episodes can be aired out of order or repeated without kids having to watch other episodes to know what's going on. As an example, in Earth's mightiest it took two episodes and a follow up to deal with an issue, in Assembled, things are done in roughly a day. There's usually no over hang, no continued conflict and no additional subplot to follow up on. There's three beliefs in regard to this. First and foremost is the fact that animated series (like most Tv series) needs to have a certain number run. Right now the standard is 13 episodes per season, majoring into 52 episodes total before a series can be cancelled and aired in syndication. This means that once the show reaches a certain number of episodes it can be put in the can and a new series can be created. (although to Disney's plus normally this isn't done with most of their hit shows so we see at least four in some cases five seasons worth of shows.) Two is that children, or at least according to some, in a certain demographic, the 6 to 12 year old boy area, have a hard time following subplots that wander through a series. As such episodes that have an under theme are not easy to put in syndication because you can't just air them out of order. This belief means that kids that are watching say Assembled, would have a hard time following Earth's Mightiest because of the plots that are under the story. Three is my least favorite factor, easier accessablity to merchandise. The idea is that with a show that can air at any time it will allow for kids to grab hold of a character in a very simple way and thus want toys of that hero.

Example: Hulk =Guy that smashes things, Captain America =He's the dude that throws his shield around, Iron Man =Guy in red that can fly, Thor =The knight figure, etc and so forth.

Each character can be identified by a single factor by a very young child, thus, "Mommy I want a Captain America shield."

My point about YJ, GL, and BTB is that they were cancelled or may be cancelled because they have the subplot, and right now CN doesn't want that. They want shows that they can throw in there for really young kids that teens can watch and laugh about regarding "getting crap past the radar" tropes.

@Roses: So many good shows get taken off the air. Blah.