Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default James Robinson Ushers in a New Era for the "Fantastic Four"

James Robinson spoke with CBR News about his upcoming "Fantastic Four" run and the personal crises and otherworldly threats the team will face in 2014.

Full article here.

In very tempted to get this run. Sounds interesting. I've always liked the ff. Just never collected it before
    X-men,Wolverine,Spider-Man,Invaders,Nick Fury Sr,Black Widow,Cap BUcky

As much as I like dragon man, pacifistic characters aren't my cup of tea. And I've never liked the future foundation kids, so I'm going to give this a pass.

I did not try Robinson's New Krypton or Justice League. I did give Earth-2 a try. It was different. I'm willing to see his take on it. Can't be any different than what's been tried up to this point. I liked Mark Waid's run. I actually still re-read the Marvel Adventures Fantastic Four. I liked the done-in-ones...

I guess it will never happen, but it would be great to get the book back to just the original four (with the kids only showing up occasionally). Still, I might pick this up, but I wish they'd bring back the blue uniforms. That would seal the deal...

My excitement died upon learning it's going to be a $3.99 book now.
    Always remember this stuff isn't real.

Robinson can be real hit or miss, but his Earth-2 run was a lot of fun for me. FF and Invaders are both books he seems well suited for so consider me psyched to read FF again.

The previous run by Fraction ruined Franklin and Valeria for me. The characterization there felt like a regress. I feel like there will never be any future FF runs that will be as good as Hickman's run, and I didn't even like every single story arc of Hickman's run either.

I'm still a bit undecided on this one. Robinson is cool and I've always liked the Fantastic Four. I'll probably get the first issue but it will really have to grab my attention (my pull list is already stretching my budget pretty thin)

I give robinson a issue or two but thats it. If he messes up then expect this dropped.

Insert Witty Title Here dragoniguana's Avatar

This looks really interesting to me. I love the idea of bringing the Fantastic Four down to earth a bit; after some of the enormous cosmic storylines we've been getting from them recently, it'll be a refreshing change of pace.
    Comic books are fun. Comic book fans, not so much.

Quote Originally Posted by C. Earl View Post
    My excitement died upon learning it's going to be a $3.99 book now.
    Did you honestly believe that Fantastic Four was going to relaunch at $2.99?

Anyway, this looks pretty good. Certainly better than what we're getting right now, which has been pretty damned bad.
    For the best in comic reviews visit:

WEEKLY COMIC BOOK REVIEW

Latverian Tourism Bureau Iron Maiden's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin King View Post
    Did you honestly believe that Fantastic Four was going to relaunch at $2.99?

Anyway, this looks pretty good. Certainly better than what we're getting right now, which has been pretty damned bad.
    Agreed. Firstly, I think the $2.99 books are slowly disappearing. And the less said about Fraction's attempt at the book, the better. I'm looking forward to the new team, if not the new uniforms.

I tend to think as Dusk has posted...I think Hickman's run, though a bit inconsistent at times (especially when certain replacement artists didn't really mesh well on the FF spin off title) will be the yardstick for the future. it was the first time in a long time that the Fantastic Four felt like it was marquee title and was on the online critic's radar.
    Last edited by Iron Maiden; 11-21-2013 at 10:53 AM.
    "...Doom's enemies have not the mettle to challenge him host to host, tooth to nail... As economic and military options fail them, they resort to simple rudeness."

Reed Richards' Apprentice Miss Fantastic's Avatar
    The Baxter Building (The 34th story, to be precise.)

I'm planning upon definitely getting the first issue to not only give Robinson a chance, but also for the schweet Alex Ross origin variant cover. But Robinson is going to really, seriously need to wow me...between the turrible new, 'too hip for its britches' logo and, I'm sorry to Iron Maiden and any and all others liking them, the uniforms that look as if they were designed by Ultimate Reed Richards and 70's Johnny Storm. Both of those scream to me that Marvel thinks the Fantastic Four's grandest problem AND reason for the low sales are marketing asthetics, AND overlooks the fact that with the remarkable exception of Hickman, the F4 have not seen any semblance of a phenomenal long-term writer since Byrne*, which royally affects sales more than uniforms and logos. Despite coming on the heels of Hickman, I believe Fraction and his horrendous 'interpretation' of our cosmic radiated friends was the straw that broke the sales camel's back. Very hopefully, Robinson will remedy that and some, but I honestly think it could and can be done with the original circa '61 logo (which I'll always maintain is the best and by far most distinctive, with the late 70's/Hickman one behind it) and classic, albeit modified, blue uniforms.

* - I would have said Simonson instead of Byrne, but his run was not nearly as lengthy as it should have been.
    Last edited by Miss Fantastic; 11-21-2013 at 09:41 AM. Reason: Tidying.
    "Honore et amore" - Richards Family Motto

The Fantastic Cometh!

SHSO - Plastic Fantastic Fungus / Lvl: 2000s / Sigs: Mister Fantastic & The Fantastic Four

Interested in both FANTASTIC FOUR and ALL-NEW INVADERS. The problem is the $3.99 price point.