Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "The Flash" Gets Standalone Pilot, No Backdoor In "Arrow"

The CW has opted to produce a standalone pilot for "The Flash" as opposed to a backdoor pilot in "Arrow" later this season.

Full article here.

This is preferable, imho. Super powers just don't seem like a good fit for the world of "Arrow".

Gone Shoggey somewhere between Bogan and Albion

Agree with SJNeal 100%.
    Who squeezed the Shaman?

Elder Member

Sounds good to me.

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    This is preferable, imho. Super powers just don't seem like a good fit for the world of "Arrow".
    I agree, but this doesn't necessarily mean that they won't introduce superpowers into the show, just that they won't do it via The Flash.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

I think super-powers do have a place in Arrow, but they should be low-key. Deathstroke is fine, Bane is fine, might even be able to squeeze in Killer Croc, but Flash is just way too out-there.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelChen View Post
    I think super-powers do have a place in Arrow, but they should be low-key. Deathstroke is fine, Bane is fine, might even be able to squeeze in Killer Croc, but Flash is just way too out-there.
    I'm fine with powers-via-technology/science, but that's about as far as I'd go for a show like this. Magic and/or aliens would seriously hamper the tone.

Your shoelaces are untied Kalen O.'s Avatar

Guys, they're still introducing the Flash in ARROW, they're just not using one of the episodes as a backdoor pilot for it anymore. The original plan was to introduce Barry Allen in episodes eight and nine and have him return in episode 20 as the Flash for what would be his backdoor pilot. They've made it clear he would be using a form of his traditional costume as the Flash, and even the actor playing him indicated pretty strongly he'd be wearing that in episode 20, which gives a strong impression the accident with the particle accelerator they keep mentioning is what gives him his powers and that's going to happen in episode 8 or 9, with him leaving after that to learn about his abilities and return later as the Flash with a costume/alter ego. As this article says, he still might be coming back later this season anyway, they're just not making that episode a backdoor pilot, but rather giving him his own unique pilot which is a sign of confidence in him and the Flash show. Its not really saying that their plans for using him in ARROW have changed other than that.
    Last edited by Kalen O.; 11-18-2013 at 11:43 AM.
    My favorite character can beat up your favorite character.

Loser.

The Flash pilot better not go all Aquaman pilot on us and not get picked up now. I am a huge fan of Grant Gustin, and I really like Flash, so I was really excited to see him return later on down the line. So if they are giving him his own Pilot, I really hope it gets picked up even more so now.
    Day and Date: Green Lantern/Green Lantern: New Guardians/ Red Lanterns

Wait a Month: Green Lantern Corps

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by SJNeal View Post
    Youre going to want to look away when Ivo starts working with Miraco then.

Quote Originally Posted by MichaelPaytonMZ View Post
    Youre going to want to look away when Ivo starts working with Miraco then.
    Damn. I forgot about Ivo...

Marked for Redemption David Walton's Avatar

No reason why superpowers can't gel with the world of Arrow. We've already had an earthquake machine, improbable resurrections, and ninjas catching arrows behind their back, and it all worked. Have faith!
    "I came to the conclusion that the optimist thought everything good except the pessimist, and the pessimist thought everything bad, except himself." -- G.K. Chesterton

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    The Flash pilot better not go all Aquaman pilot on us and not get picked up now. I am a huge fan of Grant Gustin, and I really like Flash, so I was really excited to see him return later on down the line. So if they are giving him his own Pilot, I really hope it gets picked up even more so now.
    There was an Aquaman pilot? Any surprise it didn't get picked up? Sheesh!

Sandy Hausler

Great White North Brian from Canada's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zorkel567 View Post
    The Flash pilot better not go all Aquaman pilot on us and not get picked up now.
    Mercy Reef did not deserve to be picked up. When you watch the pilot, it's ⅔ Smallville in the way the characters/story are, followed by ⅓ of Supernatural — with no charm of its own.

DC/WB's also learned the hard way about pilots. Wonder Woman didn't work at NBC and Birds Of Prey turned out to be a disaster.

If they do get The Flash off the ground, it will be after a lot of work and consideration has been put in — and this looks like they'll have the full time to do so.

Personally, I think separating The Flash pilot from Arrow shows a lot more confidence in the property than many people assume. Moreover, I think The Flash CAN work in the Arrow universe because his only ability is speed, and Geoff Johns has proven recently that Barry/Wally can be equally interesting without the costume: thus, like Arrow, it lets them deal with minor threats and not costumed villains issue in/issue out.

Quote Originally Posted by Sandy Hausler View Post
    There was an Aquaman pilot? Any surprise it didn't get picked up? Sheesh!

Sandy Hausler
    I take it you think it included giant seahorses and a talking walrus?

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by Kalen O. View Post
    Guys, they're still introducing the Flash in ARROW, they're just not using one of the episodes as a backdoor pilot for it anymore. The original plan was to introduce Barry Allen in episodes eight and nine and have him return in episode 20 as the Flash for what would be his backdoor pilot. They've made it clear he would be using a form of his traditional costume as the Flash, and even the actor playing him indicated pretty strongly he'd be wearing that in episode 20, which gives a strong impression the accident with the particle accelerator they keep mentioning is what gives him his powers and that's going to happen in episode 8 or 9, with him leaving after that to learn about his abilities and return later as the Flash with a costume/alter ego. As this article says, he still might be coming back later this season anyway, they're just not making that episode a backdoor pilot, but rather giving him his own unique pilot which is a sign of confidence in him and the Flash show. Its not really saying that their plans for using him in ARROW have changed other than that.
    That's not necessarily the case. At the very least, the issue is up in the air right now, as cited in the last line of the first paragraph of the original article:

The new plans for episode 20 of "Arrow" -- and whether it will involve The Flash at all -- are currently unknown.
    So the implication is that something is going to change.

The impression I took away from the story is that they'll likely still introduce the Barry Allen character in Arrow, but his actual transformation into the Flash will likely be handled in the pilot episode of his own show rather than in Arrow. That's really the whole crux of the whole "backdoor pilot" designation.
    Last edited by kalorama; 11-18-2013 at 12:52 PM.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD