Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Results 1 to 15 of 64
  1. #1

    Default Theory: Supergirl and Wonder Woman (or Hippolyta) will be merged for DC Movie-verse

    Okay, so here's a theory that my gf and I came up with while watching Man of Steel this weekend: Supergirl will be Wonder Woman in the DC Cinematic universe. Or possibly Hippolyta. Consider the science fiction-y vibe of Man of Steel combined with the rest of the potential Justice League: Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg....all very science fiction-y characters. It seems unlikely that they would then say "Oh yeah, there's also this island made by the Greek gods and stuff." Now that's not to say there won't be a Themyscira, but they could easily take a cue from the Thor movies and remove the magical aspects and replace them with science. Enter Supergirl. It kinda makes perfect sense: Kara Zor-El's scout ship crashes on Earth 20,000 years ago. Rather than being frozen in the ice, what if she's actually been awake that whole time, witnessing and perhaps participating in the rise and fall of civilizations? Eventually she decides to try and rebuild a Kryptonian paradise on an isolated island, but without the Codex, she's forced to resort to various cloning techniques, hence why everyone is female. By the time Kal shows up, she could perhaps have a daughter who she now decides must go to the world of men to obtain the codex. It'd sorta be a clever way to explain Wonder Woman's powers without magic, while at the same time keeping intact the Amazonian culture and history. It would also set up interesting story parallels (WW with her mommy issues and Kal with his daddy issues). In fact they could even go so far as to make Kara Zor-El/Hippolyta a villain (20,000 years of absorbing yellow sunlight?) that would be quite a formidable threat to the entire Justice League. Of course, her true Kryptonian nature will be held back as the big reveal; they'll introduce Wonder Woman/Hippolyta and Themyscira with all the basic elements there, until at one point in one of the movies BOOM! she reveals she's actually Kara Zor-El. Considering the writers and producers have already stated that they set out to 'fix' some of the issues within the Superman mythos, it seems likely they will also try to 'fix' Wonder Woman in a similar way. Tying her into the Supergirl/Kryptonian mythos would accomplish this in a way that allows for a cohesive, integrated universe, with the 20,000 year gap as an ample excuse for all the Greek mythology, Amazonian stuff to still have had time to develop.
    Whaddya think?

  2. #2
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2012
    Posts
    466

    Default

    This is the stupidest idea ever.

    And therefore I'm inclined to believe it.

  3. #3
    Junior Member Valence's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2013
    Location
    Texas
    Posts
    147

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Ves View Post
    This is the stupidest idea ever.

    And therefore I'm inclined to believe it.
    Seriously? Do you have a reason to make that insult, or just trolling?

    @Summers. This is an awesome idea. I would be very excited if the movies actually happened like this. I would like it more if Kara played some role in making the Amazon's/WW's history, but Diana was still Diana. It would be a huge insult to long-time WW fans for Diana to be erased and Kara to steal her overdue shine.

  4. #4

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Valence View Post
    Seriously? Do you have a reason to make that insult, or just trolling?

    @Summers. This is an awesome idea. I would be very excited if the movies actually happened like this. I would like it more if Kara played some role in making the Amazon's/WW's history, but Diana was still Diana. It would be a huge insult to long-time WW fans for Diana to be erased and Kara to steal her overdue shine.
    Totally agree, that's why I kinda revised it to make Kara into Hippolyta who perhaps has a daughter named Diana.

  5. #5
    Dr. Poison's Lab Asst. Power Guy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Location
    Green Bay, WI
    Posts
    2,716

    Default

    I could actually see WB/DC doing this.
    Check out Hall of Justice Forums at: http://hallofjustice1.proboards.com

  6. #6
    Senior Member Arvandor's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2004
    Location
    Sheffield, England
    Posts
    2,836

    Default

    You're hardly the first to come up with this theory. Its been mentioned several times by various posters, here and elsewhere.
    virtue untested is innocence.
    When you choose the lesser of two evils, always remember it is still an evil.

  7. #7

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Arvandor View Post
    You're hardly the first to come up with this theory. Its been mentioned several times by various posters, here and elsewhere.
    Yeah, as soon as we thought it up, I was like "Oh there must be a million threads about this already" but I've been unable to locate any thus far.

  8. #8
    Junior Member theOVOXO's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2013
    Posts
    438

    Default

    WB shouldn't go the Thor route with WW's mythos. Similar to MoS, WW's movie could introduce the Greek Gods to world and show how the public could react. Or just adapt Greg Rucka's or Brian Azzarello's modern take on the gods. The Percy Jackson series had a good concept of how the gods could exist in our world.

  9. #9
    Power Corrupts Jabare's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2011
    Location
    Earth
    Posts
    16,968

    Default

    this could actually work for the general audience. Hardcore WW fans would never have it for various reasons which I don't feel like getting into.


    It's also obviously going far away form the source material. So while I could see it working well I'm not sure I'm a big fan


  10. #10
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    To be quite honest, I think I would refuse to watch a 'Wonder Woman' movie if this was it's background (it's not really WW if you have to use Kryptonians to explain her existence or turn her into one).

    Added I am not a fan of Kirby's idea of all gods being space aliens and advanced tech to explain magic. Mostly because it only seems to work properly with the New Gods, while in Thor it's fairly subdued and quite often completely ignored, even by Kirby himself at times (see Amora as an example).
    Also I have to say that the DC Universe has always been broad enough to be able to contain aliens, actual gods and magic and Kirby's ideas of those, so why should DC/WB jump on Marvels bandwagon?

    (That said, if Snyder ends up directing this movie with Nolans input... yeah I could see them going that route.)

  11. #11
    Top Carnivore Lafanboy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Los Angeles
    Posts
    1,640

    Default

    Interesting idea (which has been posted before) but I strongly prefer WW keep her own origin separate from SM. Amazons should not be Kryptonian. Just find a way for Greek Gods to exist. Can't be that hard. We have a godlike alien, a man with an alien ring, a man who entered the Speed Force. All of these are as unlikely as Zeus. Plus, I hear they're incorporating JL Dark into the DC Movieverse. So magic and fantasy is coming anyway.

  12. #12
    Veteran Member Dr. Hurt's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2012
    Posts
    7,533

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    To be quite honest, I think I would refuse to watch a 'Wonder Woman' movie if this was it's background (it's not really WW if you have to use Kryptonians to explain her existence or turn her into one).

    Added I am not a fan of Kirby's idea of all gods being space aliens and advanced tech to explain magic. Mostly because it only seems to work properly with the New Gods, while in Thor it's fairly subdued and quite often completely ignored, even by Kirby himself at times (see Amora as an example).
    Also I have to say that the DC Universe has always been broad enough to be able to contain aliens, actual gods and magic and Kirby's ideas of those, so why should DC/WB jump on Marvels bandwagon?

    (That said, if Snyder ends up directing this movie with Nolans input... yeah I could see them going that route.)
    If anything, Nolan makes things more realistic, but he knows how to keep the essence of the character. Toning down aside, he didnt deconstruct Batman, he built him into a legend. He was the one that told Goyer and Snyder to not have Superman kill Zod.

    Guess what those.... guys did.

  13. #13
    BANNED
    Join Date
    Nov 2011
    Location
    Right behind you
    Posts
    6,572

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Hurt View Post
    If anything, Nolan makes things more realistic, but he knows how to keep the essence of the character. Toning down aside, he didnt deconstruct Batman, he built him into a legend. He was the one that told Goyer and Snyder to not have Superman kill Zod.

    Guess what those.... guys did.
    That may be, but Batman isn't and never has been a fantastical character like Wonder Woman. And if you decide to drench WW in realism, why bother with her at all? I mean, whats left if you take away the magic? the gods? the bronze age tech?

    (I know one thing we might get then; Amazons with laser-blasters... which might be great if you are a Flash Gordon fan, but to me it just sounds like mixing two things that shouldn't; Fantasy and Science Fiction.)

  14. #14
    CBR Mod/WW Section Mom Gaelforce's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2009
    Location
    Southern New Jersey
    Posts
    3,358

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Outside_85 View Post
    That may be, but Batman isn't and never has been a fantastical character like Wonder Woman. And if you decide to drench WW in realism, why bother with her at all? I mean, whats left if you take away the magic? the gods? the bronze age tech?

    (I know one thing we might get then; Amazons with laser-blasters... which might be great if you are a Flash Gordon fan, but to me it just sounds like mixing two things that shouldn't; Fantasy and Science Fiction.)
    And yet we have dark elves with space ships and Asgardians with laser turrets...

  15. #15
    Senior Member DochaDocha's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Posts
    2,650

    Default

    I wasn't thrilled with the Dark Elves flying sci-fi gunboats.

    I think when it comes to comic book movies, magic has high variance response from fans. You get dissenters regardless of what you do, but in this case, you get a greater number of people hating it than you'd want, and you get a higher amount of hate from that faction, too. I think that's a big reason WB keeps stumbling with WW. I'm done coming up with suggestions of what they should do, and instead defer to my default, "That's why I'd rather see an animated movie instead," answer.

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •