Page 1 of 7 12345 ... LastLast

Default Theory: Supergirl and Wonder Woman (or Hippolyta) will be merged for DC Movie-verse

Okay, so here's a theory that my gf and I came up with while watching Man of Steel this weekend: Supergirl will be Wonder Woman in the DC Cinematic universe. Or possibly Hippolyta. Consider the science fiction-y vibe of Man of Steel combined with the rest of the potential Justice League: Batman, Green Lantern, Flash, Martian Manhunter, Cyborg....all very science fiction-y characters. It seems unlikely that they would then say "Oh yeah, there's also this island made by the Greek gods and stuff." Now that's not to say there won't be a Themyscira, but they could easily take a cue from the Thor movies and remove the magical aspects and replace them with science. Enter Supergirl. It kinda makes perfect sense: Kara Zor-El's scout ship crashes on Earth 20,000 years ago. Rather than being frozen in the ice, what if she's actually been awake that whole time, witnessing and perhaps participating in the rise and fall of civilizations? Eventually she decides to try and rebuild a Kryptonian paradise on an isolated island, but without the Codex, she's forced to resort to various cloning techniques, hence why everyone is female. By the time Kal shows up, she could perhaps have a daughter who she now decides must go to the world of men to obtain the codex. It'd sorta be a clever way to explain Wonder Woman's powers without magic, while at the same time keeping intact the Amazonian culture and history. It would also set up interesting story parallels (WW with her mommy issues and Kal with his daddy issues). In fact they could even go so far as to make Kara Zor-El/Hippolyta a villain (20,000 years of absorbing yellow sunlight?) that would be quite a formidable threat to the entire Justice League. Of course, her true Kryptonian nature will be held back as the big reveal; they'll introduce Wonder Woman/Hippolyta and Themyscira with all the basic elements there, until at one point in one of the movies BOOM! she reveals she's actually Kara Zor-El. Considering the writers and producers have already stated that they set out to 'fix' some of the issues within the Superman mythos, it seems likely they will also try to 'fix' Wonder Woman in a similar way. Tying her into the Supergirl/Kryptonian mythos would accomplish this in a way that allows for a cohesive, integrated universe, with the 20,000 year gap as an ample excuse for all the Greek mythology, Amazonian stuff to still have had time to develop.
    Whaddya think?

Nice!! You have good imagination. If they do so, will the current Superman/ww thing become incest retroactively?
    Rehire Grant Morrison for Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    Keep Scott Lobdell in Superverse forever.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

Yeah, the incest angle is kinda gross, but at least in the movies, it would be a way to avoid sexual tension between them. Lois would get mad that Kal is out flying around with this Wonder-chick and he'd be all "Relax, baby, she's my cuz....you know you're my main squeeze!"

Quote Originally Posted by SummersBlood View Post
    Yeah, the incest angle is kinda gross, but at least in the movies, it would be a way to avoid sexual tension between them. Lois would get mad that Kal is out flying around with this Wonder-chick and he'd be all "Relax, baby, she's my cuz....you know you're my main squeeze!"
    Heh! So could they be twins, so one of them can be Supergirl and named after the mother?
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.
    5.7 Million Likes. Please contribute for more: https://www.facebook.com/superman

My goodness, this is a very very clever idea, man. I'd honestly pay to watch this in the movies. Have you tried posting this up on the Wonder Woman side to see how hard core WW fans would react to such a change. It's honestly not as hostile as some may think it is over there. I myself have a fine and respectable time sharing my thoughts and understanding theirs when I was over there.

Give it a shot we as Superman fans are a bit more inclined to like this because it has to do with the big guy so maybe you should get the other sides opinion too. Just a thought.

To expand your theory. Taking notes from Morrison and Lobdell that Superman and therefore Krypton develops more varied powers as time goes on, so Dev Em eventually develops electrical powers like Al Star Superman and through him is born the Zeus myth and the gods are his descendents.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post
    My goodness, this is a very very clever idea, man. I'd honestly pay to watch this in the movies. Have you tried posting this up on the Wonder Woman side to see how hard core WW fans would react to such a change. It's honestly not as hostile as some may think it is over there. I myself have a fine and respectable time sharing my thoughts and understanding theirs when I was over there.

Give it a shot we as Superman fans are a bit more inclined to like this because it has to do with the big guy so maybe you should get the other sides opinion too. Just a thought.
    Hah! Posting this in WW forum would be like kicking a hornet's nest.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.

Quote Originally Posted by Superlad93 View Post

Heh, yeah, I posted it over there and have only received this reply:

This is the stupidest idea ever.

And therefore I'm inclined to believe it.

So not exactly high praise, but also revealing of a generally cynical attitude towards the movies, which is understandable, I suppose.

Quote Originally Posted by super1man View Post
    To expand your theory. Taking notes from Morrison and Lobdell that Superman and therefore Krypton develops more varied powers as time goes on, so Dev Em eventually develops electrical powers like Al Star Superman and through him is born the Zeus myth and the gods are his descendents.
    Wow dude....very clever indeed. This is one of those ideas that the more I think about it, the more obvious it seems.

Quote Originally Posted by SummersBlood View Post
    Wow dude....very clever indeed. This is one of those ideas that the more I think about it, the more obvious it seems.
    Thanks but I don't know if they will ever go this route. But this would be one of the better way to seed the universe. Since, Superman is the first superhero and birthed the superhero comics, its good to honor that and say that the universe was seeded by Kryptonians . Through a process like in MOS, where they sent thousands of scout ships with Kryptonian embryos to different worlds. That would explain why all the aliens are humanoids. It can be said that through genetic manipulation like in previous continuity, it was made sure that the children never became as strong as real Kryptonians. This genetic defect and individual planets environment gave different aliens in different planets different powers or different weakness in case of Daxamites.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.

This is a pretty brilliant idea/theory. I had been trying wrap my head around how WB will portray Wonder Woman, with her power levels and not use magic. Obviously, a lot of WW fans will hate it for a lot of reasons, but probably mostly, that it makes WW a derivative of the Superman world...

I think the basis of this idea is a good platform. The Amazons could just be the cloned descendants of Kara's original creations, and depending on the power-level that WB decides to give her, the way they store and use the solar radiation, can can be reduced after each cloned generation...
    Last edited by ABH-1979; 11-18-2013 at 09:23 AM.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    This is a pretty brilliant idea/theory. I had been trying wrap my head around how WB will portray Wonder Woman, with her power levels and not use magic. Obviously, a lot of WW fans will hate it for a lot of reasons, but probably mostly, that it makes WW a derivative of the Superman world...

I think the basis of this idea is a good platform. The Amazons could just be the cloned descendants of Kara's original creations, and depending on the power-level that WB decides to give her, the way they store and use the solar radiation, can can be reduced after each cloned generation...
    I would like to point out to those that would complain that that the whole superhero universe comes from Superman, even the world superhero itself. So no shame in acknowledging being derivative of Superman because they all are indeed a derivative of Superman.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.

That's actually not a bad idea at all. Though I'm sure Wonder Woman fans will absolutely despise it. I mean realistically a lot of Superman fans hate the idea of Batman being the one to train Superman. So imagine the rage when Wonder Woman fans find out she is really Supergirl/Kryptonian.
    I like swords.

Quote Originally Posted by super1man View Post
    I would like to point out to those that would complain that that the whole superhero universe comes from Superman, even the world superhero itself. So no shame in acknowledging being derivative of Superman because they all are indeed a derivative of Superman.
    I agree with you, which is why I personally don't have issue with it, but there's still a difference between having the whole Super-Hero genre being made possible by Superman's debut, and making a character like Wonder Woman an in-story krypto-clone decedent. It might be best to allude to it, without flat out explaining it on screen (if WB went with this idea).

If WB can come up with a better way to explain that the Amazons have lived, all this time, on a secluded island, and are great warriors, with Super-human strength, then I'm all for it. But so far, the OP's idea makes it work, pretty brilliantly.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I agree with you, which is why I personally don't have issue with it, but there's still a difference between having the whole Super-Hero genre being made possible by Superman's debut, and making a character like Wonder Woman an in-story krypto-clone decedent. It might be best to allude to it, without flat out explaining it on screen (if WB went with this idea).

If WB can come up with a better way to explain that the Amazons have lived, all this time, on a secluded island, and are great warriors, with Super-human strength, then I'm all for it. But so far, the OP's idea makes it work, pretty brilliantly.
    Does even this idea explain why they really remained secluded for so long? Now its actually a longer time than previously thought.
    Give Lois her own BOOKS.