Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS #25 "Zero Year" Tie-In Preview/Discussion

A BATMAN: ZERO YEAR tie-in! There's a dark force of nature that's forming in Gotham City...A face laughing in the dark that will one day tear Jason Todd's life apart. What are his plans for the Red Hood Gang? And who else will rise out of the shadows to guide Jason Todd one step closer to his destiny?

Full article here.

Red Hood not by Lobdell? All of my money is yours. Great preview. Finally the steet urchin is in the streets, not in magical amnesia lands.
    Junk head. Amazing stop-motion animation. http://www.indiegogo.com/projects/junk-head-2--2

Scott Summers IS NOT a delusional egotist.

http://lordtoede.blogspot Scott M Davis's Avatar

The writing is bad, the artwork is bad..
    Pull List: Valiant Titles, All New Marvel Now Titles, Popeye Classics, Haunted Horror.

Uh no, Lobdell ended his run with Jason and Bruce mending their relationship and setting the stage for Jason to be more that the angry robin or that batman knockoff with guns. Tynion opened his run with Jason heading to the acres of all to being mind wiped because the happenings on Batman & Red Hood as the editorial note warned you (way to go DC editorial, having the beginning of the story on a book that shipped a month later)

That being said, this preview is BAD. Jason was interesting because he was a street kid that by mere luck and his incredible will become Robin, Lobdell did enough harm when he write the possibility of the Joker orchesting all the events to make him Robin; but he was smart enough to left things foggy and allow for the readers (and future writers) to dismiss this like another of Joker's rants.

Something that you can do with Talia since she isn't crazy, Tynion has just strip Jason of all agency turning him in a mere puppet with everyone pulling his strings as they see fit, oh and because we need drama on a Batman book apparently Jason has his dead mother on a shrine since this book wasn't creepy enough.

Tynion needs to go, and the sooner the better.

Hey I've graded a lot of student papers, and student work short fiction, and there's a reason you consistently throw "student" in front of it, though I'm sure Tynion was "former student, now friend" by the time Snyder got him the gig.

That said, I didn't hate this preview. I'd have a lot nicer things to say about Tynion's entire Hood run if he didn't get paired up with such god-awful (and mismatched or ill-suited to the title) artists. If Rocafort was still on this thing it'd be hotcakes.
    "Everything hs changed. ‘Dark’ entertainment now looks like hysterical, adolescent, ‘Zibarro’ crap." - Morrison, 2008.
    retrowarbird.blogspot.com

Quote Originally Posted by Retro315 View Post
    Hey I've graded a lot of student papers, and student work short fiction, and there's a reason you consistently throw "student" in front of it, though I'm sure Tynion was "former student, now friend" by the time Snyder got him the gig.
    Don't get me wrong, I'm not bashing the idea of emphasizing the student aspect, I'm just saying that it shouldn't be used to accuse Snyder of pulling strings to get Tynion the job.

Quote Originally Posted by InformationGeek View Post
    Yep, and that one review is mine. I think I'm like the last guy left who will review Catwoman, since I assume the rest were scared off by that Joker's Daughter issue.
    See? Few people want to suffer reading Catwoman for the sake of a review.

Why does Jason's mother look the same age as Jason?

Anyway, I like Tynion. He did two of the best Villains Month issues, the Ra's issue and the Court of Owls one. If anything, he makes me want to read this terrible book about awful characters like Jason Todd more. What has Lobdell done except ruin the Teen Titans?
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

I do love the implication the cops are hoping apathy and amorality cleans up Park Row while they have bigger fish to fry.

And count me with the guys who don't get all the Tynion hate. I think he's done a great job with book. I'm intrigued by the amnesia plot and I predict he's using it to have Jason voluntarily accept his old memories back and embrace his past as opposed to run from it. And even amnesiac Jason is still a badass, albeit one who lacks the hookups of Jason's issues with confronting his mistakes. His Arsenal is awesome and I don't feel uncomfortable, or worse, bored, reading his Starfire.

And since he knocked it out of the park with Ra's, I'm salivating to see his Talia. Tynion seems to prefer a more serious and less crazy approach to comics, and since fast and insane usually turns me off a Batman book, I'm hopeful for this. A deftly handled and mature approach to Talia with more depth than Damian's baby mama has a lot of potential, and I'd love it if she just encounters Jason, is impressed with his tenacity and notes that he also became a Robin and that's why she appreciates his. That would actually be subtle.

Plus maybe he'll explain why Thompkins thought he'd make a good Robin. Lobdell's origin was enjoyable, but shaky on logic in regards to why Jason should be Robin. Maybe Thompkins will show up too?
    “There are no ordinary people. You have never talked to a mere mortal."

-C.S. Lewis

People just love to hate.

Let us be honest here - Red Hood isn't the most compelling of characters (especially post reboot) and his two side kicks were really tarnished by Lobdell.

You can't expect Shakespeare when your material is poor AND you have editorial breathing down your throat.

Yeah, I do think people are being a little too critical of Tynion here. Lobdell is the one that introduced the story of Jason losing his memories (which is a theme Lobdell played around with in the title quite a bit) and Tynion is just following up on it. Plus he doesn't have the same level of art Lobdell had to work with. I'm not really a Tynion fan but he deserves some slack.

The keeping his dead mother thing is just way too Norman Bates and outside the spirit of the character, IMO. The Joker thing, while fairly unpopular, didn't really do any damage to the character himself. Subtle manipulations by someone behind the scenes to find his way to Batman is one thing. Keeping his dead mother on a makeshift alter and talking to her though...that's taking his emotional issues and turning them into a full-blown psychosis. If that's where they want to go, mission accomplished, I just think its an unfortunate place to take a character whom I credited the New 52 with making relevant again.
    Last edited by Sacred Knight; 11-18-2013 at 07:37 PM.

One thing that I loved about New 52 Jason was that he WASN'T just a psychotic nutcase like he had been in the years preceding the reboot. He was more complex, interesting, and actually likeable (Tim inviting him to eat breakfast together and Jason accepting, I loved that). Making him crazy again is the LAST thing that I want.

Quote Originally Posted by Badou View Post
    Yeah, I do think people are being a little too critical of Tynion here. Lobdell is the one that introduced the story of Jason losing his memories (which is a theme Lobdell played around with in the title quite a bit) and Tynion is just following up on it. Plus he doesn't have the same level of art Lobdell had to work with. I'm not really a Tynion fan but he deserves some slack.
    Why people keeps hanging the amnesia plot on Lobdell?

http://i.imgur.com/rr3ft0z.png
    http://i.imgur.com/MihvtHo.jpg

This pages are about Jason letting go his bitterness, his self deprecation and his regrets. That's why Ducra's manifestation was teaching him.

http://i.imgur.com/8MTHLLF.jpg

This is how Tynion opened his run (take special notice on the editorial note and for the record, that issue was AWFUL)

http://i.imgur.com/01MyBVX.jpg

And here his Jason is throwing away all his character development on a hissy fit (that by the way is really OOC on Jason's part)

Quote Originally Posted by Punisher284 View Post
    One thing that I loved about New 52 Jason was that he WASN'T just a psychotic nutcase like he had been in the years preceding the reboot. He was more complex, interesting, and actually likeable (Tim inviting him to eat breakfast together and Jason accepting, I loved that). Making him crazy again is the LAST thing that I want.
    Only positive I can garner is that with an arc in the books already regarding lost memories, an easy out for this would be to make it a false memory. Its just a bad idea though, and needs go any way possible.

Re-reading the preview again I can say that we jumped the gun and Jason's mom isn't dead just high as a kite... if really is his mom anyways, here's how she should look:

http://i.imgur.com/GgJ2VtG.jpg (way to drop the ball editors)