Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Default Favorite classic comic adaptation films by year?

Just found this list on wikipedia of every American Superhero film ever made by year (movie serials not included).

Got me thinking, starting with 2002 (when the current superhero film explosion began) what do you feel was the best superhero film made each year?

My choices:

2002 - Spiderman
    2003 - X2: X-Men United
    2004 - Hellboy
    2005 - V for Vendetta
    2006 - Superman Returns
    2007 - (it really hurts to have to choose this, but) Spiderman 3
    2008 - Iron Man
    2009 - Watchmen
    2010 - Kick Ass (not really a 'classic' comic property, I suppose)
    2011 - Thor
    2012 - The Avengers
    2013 - Thor: The Dark World

I'll give it a go...but it will look a lot like yours for the most part...

2002-Spider-Man
    2003-X2: X-Men United
    2004-Hellboy
    2005-Batman Begins
    2006-X-Men Last Stand (it's bad but Superman Returns for me was unwatchable, I've tried 4 times and fallen asleep during it every time, it just fails on every level to hold my interest)
    2007-Ghost Rider (it wa sat least entertaining where Spidey 3 wasn't really)
    2008-Iron Man
    2009-Watchmen
    2010-Iron Man 2 I actually liked it and I can' stand Kick Ass or anything by Millar really)
    2011-Cap and Thor are a virtual tie for me, so I will go with Captain America: The First Avenger as it's my wife's favorite Marvel movie thus far
    2012-Avengers
    2013-Thor: Dark World (though unlike many I quite enjoyed Iron Man 3, I just enjoyed Thor more)

-M
    A lunatic is easily recognized...You can tell him by the liberties he takes with common sense...and by the fact that sooner or later he brings up the Templars.
    -Umberto Eco

I voted on any year in which there was more than one...

But I'm mad they lefty out the first Zorro!

1978 Superman
    1980 Superman II
    1989 Batman
    19090 TMN Turtles
    1991 The Rocketeer
    1993 TMNT III
    1994 The Shadow
    1995 No Winner
    1996 The Phantom
    1997 No Winner
    2000 Unbreakable
    2002 Spider-Man
    2003 X2
    2004 Hellboy
    2005 Batman Begins
    2006 X-Men: Last Stand
    2007 Spider-Man 3
    2008 The Dark Knight
    2009 Watchmen
    2010 No Winner
    2011 Captain America
    2012 Avengers/Dark Knight Rises (tie)
    2013 No Winner Yet

Quote Originally Posted by MRP View Post
    2006-X-Men Last Stand (it's bad but Superman Returns for me was unwatchable, I've tried 4 times and fallen asleep during it every time, it just fails on every level to hold my interest)
    Both films were serious mixed bags. However, I found myself largely enjoying Superman Returns, whereas I cannot forgive X3 for what it did to Jean Grey, nor to Scott Summers.

2007-Ghost Rider (it wa sat least entertaining where Spidey 3 wasn't really)
    Today was truly the first time I'd ever wished I'd gone to see that film just so that I wouldn't have to choose Spiderman 3. There were aspects of the film I really enjoyed (well really just James Franco losing his mind), but overall...

2010-Iron Man 2 I actually liked it and I can' stand Kick Ass or anything by Millar really)
    I totally respect this choice, though I just truly didn't enjoy Iron man 2 (aside from Sam Rockwell).

2011-Cap and Thor are a virtual tie for me, so I will go with Captain America: The First Avenger as it's my wife's favorite Marvel movie thus far
    I think I'm the only person I know who didn't enjoy Captain America. The tone and retro feel were fantastic, but it took so very long to get going, they royally messed with Bucky (though Winter Soldier may redeem that decision) and I'm right with How It Should Have Ended on what was wrong with that film's climax.

I didn't LOVE Thor, but it was well done, the SHIELD/Agent Coulson aspects were well done, and Loki rocked my world.

Quote Originally Posted by prince hal View Post
    I voted on any year in which there was more than one...

But I'm mad they lefty out the first Zorro!

1978 Superman
    1980 Superman II
    1989 Batman
    19090 TMN Turtles
    1991 The Rocketeer
    1993 TMNT III
    1994 The Shadow
    1995 No Winner
    1996 The Phantom
    1997 No Winner
    2000 Unbreakable
    2002 Spider-Man
    2003 X2
    2004 Hellboy
    2005 Batman Begins
    2006 X-Men: Last Stand
    2007 Spider-Man 3
    2008 The Dark Knight
    2009 Watchmen
    2010 No Winner
    2011 Captain America
    2012 Avengers/Dark Knight Rises (tie)
    2013 No Winner Yet
    I wasn't feeling ambitious enough to tackle all of these, but I'm glad you did. I'd completely forgotten about The Phantom until now, and I must admit to being surprised TMNT III made your list.

2002 - Spider-Man
    2003 - X2
    2004 -
    2005 - Batman Begins
    2006 - X-Men: Last Stand
    2007 -
    2008 - Punisher: War Zone
    2009 - X-Men Origins: Wolverine
    2010 - Iron Man 2
    2011 - X-Men: First Class
    2012 - Avengers
    2013 -

Spider-Man and Batman Begins are the only movies I saw those years. I haven't seen any of the movies from 2004, 2007 or this year. I saw the most, four, in 2008 (War Zone, Hulk, Iron Man and Wanted). My favorite of the bunch is either First Class or Avengers.
    Big belly, still take my shirt off like Nelly.

The title says comics. So I'm going to disregard the superhero rhetoric. And I'll skip the years films I don't care about.

2002 - Road to Perdition
    2004 - Hellboy
    2005 - A History of Violence
    2007 - Ghost Rider
    2008 - Iron Man
    2010 - Red
    2011 - Captain America
    2012 - Avengers
    2013 - Iron Man 3

Quote Originally Posted by shaxper View Post
    I wasn't feeling ambitious enough to tackle all of these, but I'm glad you did. I'd completely forgotten about The Phantom until now, and I must admit to being surprised TMNT III made your list.
    I'm not sure if I saw TMNT III, but my kids were younger and I know they watched one, both or all of them for a while. They tend to merge, and I may be substituting pleasant memories of snuggling with my kids for a trenchant critical approach. But it had to be better than Meteor Man! :)

And, yeah, The Phantom, Shadow and Rocketeer don't get enough love, if you ask me. Flawed, all, with Rocketeer the least so, but they're minor flaws compared to the misfires of junk like Batman Forever and Batman and Robin, which are both unwatchable piles of gunk emitting smelly smells that really smell, to paraphrase Sponge Bob.

I only considered theatrical releases eligible:

1989- Batman
    1990- Dick Tracy
    1991- The Rocketeer
    1992- Batman Returns
    1993- Batman: Mask of the Phantasm
    1994- Crumb
    1995- Tank Girl
    1996- Barb Wire
    1997- Men In Black
    1998- Blade *
    1999- Mystery Men
    2000- X-Men
    2001- From Hell
    2002- Spider-Man
    2003- American Splendor
    2004- Hellboy
    2005- V for Vendetta
    2006- Superman II: The Richard Donner Cut
    2007- 300
    2008- The Dark Knight
    2009- Watchmen
    2010- Jonah Hex
    2011- X-Men: First Class
    2012- The Dark Knight Rises
    2013- Iron Man 3

(* sole eligible film)
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...uperhero_films
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...anguage_comics
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...n_comic_strips
    Last edited by inferno; 11-21-2013 at 01:03 PM. Reason: Removed asterisk from 1992, as I realized the US version of LITTLE NEMO IN SLUMBERLAND was released that year

Sticking to the theatrical releases and the years originally specified. Some of these are comic book movies rather than superhero movies specifically, so I've added in a second choice in those years.

2002: Spider-Man
    2003: Bulletproof Monk
    2004: Hellboy
    2005: Sin City (Batman Begins)
    2006: X-Men: The Last Stand
    2007: 30 Days of Night (Spider-Man 3, the least worse choice of superhero movies that year)
    2008: The Dark Knight
    2009: Watchmen
    2010: Kick-Ass
    2011: The Adventures of Tintin (Captain America: The First Avenger)
    2012: The Avengers
    2013: Man of Steel
    Last edited by foxley; 11-17-2013 at 11:24 PM.

Going also by comic book rather than superhero, starting in 2000, because I didn't went to the cinema a lot before:

2000: X-Men.
    2001: ... I've seen Ghost World from the comic book movies of that and while not a movie I'd really seek out, I liked it better than any of the other comic book movies that year.
    2002: Astérix & Obélix: Mission Cléopâtre, yes, it's different from the comic, but it never fails to make me laugh.
    2003: X2, though I also liked Hulk a lot.
    2004: Hellboy, I kinda liked Immortel for what it's trying to do and Blueberry while interesting is just so far removed from the comic. Spider-Man 2 I liked at the time, but upon rewatching I can't make my way through it.
    2005: I've soured on Frank Miller (especially after what he did to the Spirit), but Sin City is still a good movie.
    2006: Not really a comic book movie I liked. if I had to pick, then 300 over Superman and X-Men, despite it's flaws.
    2007: .. drawing a blank again. FF2, Spider-Man 3, Ghost Rider. All equal to me. (as in: Not very good).
    2008: Iron Man, though the Dark knight was a strong 2nd. Largo Winch was disappointing even though some of its choices to change the original story were interesting, Hulk was entertaining, but lacking, Hellboy 2 was a very weak sequel, but visually amazing, haven't seen Wanted (even though I liked the comic) and Punisher War Zone yet.
    2009: Watchmen, though again a year lacking in any decent comic movies (that I've seen).
    2010: Pretty good year, even with the disappointing Iron Man 2. I liked the Losers, though it was overshadowed by non-comic book movies with the same premise (A-team), I really liked Adèle Blanc-Sec (kinda weird, kinda fun.), haven't seen Dylan Dog yet, but the winner for me would be Scott Pilgrim vs. the World.
    2011: Either Thor or First Class. First Class has weak bits, but Fassbender, Thor has weak bits but Hiddleston. I pick Thor. Captain America, I liked the first half, but it loses a lot in the second half.
    2012: The Avengers, followed by Dredd.
    2013: Only seen Iron Man 3 and Thor 2 so far. Of those two I pick Thor 2.

2003: X2
    2004: Spider-Man 2
    2005: Fantastic Four
    2006: X-men Last Stand
    2007: Spider-Man 3
    2008: Dark Knight
    2009: N/A. Awful year IMO
    2010: Kick-Ass
    2011: X-Men First Class
    2012: AVENGERS
    2013: Man Of Steel
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Kicking the hornet's nest Jezebel Bond's Avatar

Looks like I'm the only one who likes the Director's Cut of Daredevil.

I picked up the Blu Ray for about $4.99 or so
    1 Kings 21:23

And of Jezebel also spake the LORD, saying, The dogs shall eat Jezebel by the wall of Jezreel.

I'm completely baffled by Iron Man's popularity, surely the whole Downey Jr. comeback saga can't have resonated enough with you Americans to make you blind to what a haphazard misfire that movie is? ;)

2003: X2 (With Hulk as a close runner up, I love that Marvel had the guts to let a true visionary like Ang Lee loose at one of their properties back then)
    2004: Hellboy (Always thought Spider-Man 2 strayed a bit too far into camp territory)
    2005: Batman Begins
    2006: Superman Returns
    2007: 30 Days of Night (As many thers have remarked, the competition isn't exactly razor sharp this year)
    2008: The Dark Knight
    2009: Watchmen (Once again in lack of serious competition. Watchmen is one of those movies that does an impressive amount of things right but still misses it's target)
    2010: Iron Man 2 (...and another meagre year)
    2011: The Adventures of Tintin
    2012: The Dark Knight Rises
    2013 : Man of Steel
    Last edited by Patroklos; 11-18-2013 at 06:56 PM.
    "Doesn't everyone on here hate comics? Isn't this a forum where a bunch of middle aged men sit around and bitch about how they hate comics and haven't read them in twenty years?" -Mezzaro-

The comic book adaptation explosion clearly began with X-Men (or maybe Blade). I'll go back to 1993, as that's when there seems to be enough to talk about. I'll skip anything Japanese due to lack of familiarity and otherwise rank my favorites and note what I haven't seen. First the summary:

1993: Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    1994: The Crow
    1995: Judge Dredd
    1996: The Phantom
    1997: Men in Black
    1998: Blade
    1999: Mystery Men
    2000: X-Men
    2001: Ghost World
    2003: X2: X-Men United
    2004: Spider-Man 2
    2005: Batman Begins
    2006:
    2007: 300
    2008: Dark Knight
    2009: Surrogates
    2010: Scott Pilgrim vs. the world
    2011: X-Men First Class
    2012: The Avengers
    2013: Thor The Dark World

1993:
    Batman Mask of the Phantasm
    Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles III

1994:
    The Crow is a visually-engaging movie, comparable to Burton's Batman.
    The Mask is something I haven't seen in years, but I recall being a lot of fun.
    Fantastic Four is something everybody should watch, if only to see the 8-bit Human Torch special effects in all their glory. While it had only had a budget of spare change found in the couch, it's still better than the reboot.
    Richie Rich is a movie I barely remember.
    I have not seen Timecop.

1995:
    Judge Dredd is a guilty pleasure of mine. I just like to hear Stallone say, "I am the law".
    Batman Forever is not a movie I ever need to watch again..
    I have not seen Tank Girl.
    The rest are not comic adaptations.

1996:
    The Phantom was good wholesome fun.
    Generation X was pretty bad, even for a TV movie.
    I have not seen Barb Wire or Crow: City of Angels or Sabrina the Teenage Witch or Vampirella

1997:
    Men in Black is a lot of fun.
    Spawn is another guilty pleasure. I just think they did an awesome job with his cape.
    Steel was actually kinda cute and fun, though not something I need to see again.
    Justice League of America. What could be worse than this, you ask? Well--
    Batman and Robin...

1998:
    Blade could easily be seen as the beginning of the new wave of great comic adaptions.
    Batman & Mr. Freeze: Sub-Zero
    Nick Fury Agent of SHIELD was perfectly cast. PERFECTLY.
    I did not see the Richie Rich sequel.

1999:
    Mystery Men was fun.
    I am unfamiliar with Virus.

2000:
    X-Men is awesome. Except for the terrible action climax.
    Batman Beyond Retun of the Joker is also pretty excellent.
    Witchblade. I barely recall it.
    I haven't seen Crow: Salvation or Heavy Metal

2001:
    Ghost World. While I didn't love the comic, it made for a fun quirky movie.
    From Hell has little to do with the comic.
    I am not familiar with Faust or Monkeybone and didn't see Josie and the Pussycats or the Justice League film.

2002:
    Spider-Man is awesome
    Road to Perdition is also excellent. I really like Paul Newman's character.
    Blade II isn't bad. Not as cohesive as the first one, but with a more interesting plot.
    Men in Black 2 didn't do much for me.

2003:
    X2: X-Men United manages to recapture the magic and correct the flaws of X-Men. What more can you ask? Maybe a better title. That title is terrible.
    American Splendor was amazingly well done. The comics have never interested me, but I loved this.
    Hulk is something I like. As do two other people. There were definitely things missing that made the comic character great. But there were also things present. I think it explored some interesting ideas.
    Daredevil is a movie I dislike very much. I hope the actor never plays another superhero. But it has redeeming features. Cool displays of Daredevil's powers, good details about how he copes with his senses, and a beautiful scene in the rain where he sees Elektra by hearing the rain drops. Plus they chose an actor who could have been a great Kingpin if given a script.
    Bulletproof Monk is a movie I think I saw but remember nothing about. It can't be worse than...
    League of Extraordinary Gentlemen... To say more would remind me further of the pain of sitting through it.
    I have not seen Mystery of the Batwoman or Timecop 2.

2004:
    Spider-Man 2 is the best superhero movie ever made.
    Hellboy was a lot of fun, with some great moments.
    The Punisher is something nobody likes but I enjoyed. I think it accomplished its goals of making you cheer when he violently killed people.
    Blade Trinity was terrible.
    Alien vs. Predator is not worth seeing.
    I saw the trailers for Catwoman and couldn't bring myself to watch it. I haven't seen Lady Death.
    The Incredibles is not a comic book adaptation.

2005:
    Batman Begins is like two movies, one of which is the perfect Batman movie, and one of which isn't very good. It's the first hour vs. the last 90 minutes.
    A History of Violence. While the comic is great, this is so much better at capturing the mood. The tense ending is just perfect.
    Sin City. A perfectly faithful adaptation that added a great score and great directing.
    V for Vendetta. I wish they hadn't added so much nonsense about the plague and the conspiracy. But I am so glad they left his mask on and kept the prison scene. On the whole, a good movie.
    Man-Thing. This was a year full of stinkers if this B-horror movie is this high on my list.
    Elektra. I basically was content to sit through it. Nothing about it upset me personally.
    Constantine. Nothing about it upset me personally.
    Fantastic Four is the worst superhero movie of all time. Of all time.
    I have not seen Batman vs. Dracula, Son of the Mask, Painkiller Jane, or El Muerto

2006:
    Art School Confidential is not very good. This is a terrible year for comic adaptations.
    Ultimate Avengers. This isn't a great year for superhero films. I don't even like Ultimates.
    Superman Returns is beautiful, but a terrible story.
    X-Men: The Last Stand has its moments, but is terrible.
    Have not seen the other films.

2007:
    300 had nice visuals and is quite quotable. I wish the director had stopped there.
    Ghost Rider is a not-terrible movie in another year light on good superhero films.
    Spider-Man 3 is pretty upsetting. While it has its moments, it ruins a great trilogy.
    30 Days of Night wasn't very good.
    TMNT wasn't very good.
    I refused to watch FF2, given how terrible the first one was. Principles.
    I have not seen the rest.

2008:
    Dark Knight
    Iron Man is better than any Iron Man comic I have ever read. The only superhero movie I say that about. After two off-years, this year is a tough call for #1.
    Justice League New Frontier is hard to rate. Anybody who hasn't read the comic should definitely see it. But anybody who has? It's a perfectly adapted abridged version of the comic, but what does it add?
    Punisher: War Zone was not very good.
    The Incredible Hulk was worse.
    I do not care to see Wanted or the Spirit. I don't know why I haven't seen Hellboy 2. Will rectify. Also haven't seen the Batman or Next Avengers films.

2009:
    Surrogates was forgettable but better than the terrible superhero films.
    X-Men Origins: Wolverine didn't have much worth.
    Watchmen was even more worthless.
    Have not seen any of the animated films. They may redeem the year. I suspect that Whiteout will not.

2010:
    Scott Pilgrim vs. the world was a pretty amazing films.
    Kick-Ass was okay.
    Iron Man 2 was also okay. It was like a good movie trapped in an ad for the Avengers movie.
    I did not see Red, Jonah Hex, the Losers, or the animated films.

2011:
    X-Men First Class Perfectly cast Xavier and Magneto.
    Thor. Lots of flaws. Lots to love. Plenty of potential.
    All-Star Superman. I like but don't love the comic, and think I appreciated this abridgment more than I did with New Frontier.
    Green Hornet. I enjoyed it.
    Captain America. I've never been able to articulate my opinion on this. It seems well done, but has always left me cold.
    Batman Year One. The animation did not work for me.
    Green Lantern is terrible.
    I have not seen the animated Casey Jones, Green Lantern or Thor films. Or Cowboys & Aliens

2012:
    Avengers was what every other summer blockbuster was trying to be.
    Dark Knight Rises doesn't rise to the level of Avengers or its predecessors, but I found it thrilling to watch.
    Dredd is awesome. I found it perfect.
    Amazing Spider-Man is solid, but not as good as the Raimi films or the other summer superhero films.
    I did not see Ghost Rider 2, MiB3 or the animated films

Thor the Dark World was awesome.
    Iron Man 3 was a pretty solid superhero flick.
    The Wolverine was as well. Not great, but good.
    Man of Steel was a very well-produced terrible movie.
    I am unfamiliar with RIP and have not seen the animated films, Kick-Ass 2, Red 2, or 2 Guns.
    Last edited by Chris N; 11-19-2013 at 08:45 PM.
    formerly coke & comics

Sleepwalker is Sandman done right. ~Tadhg

Quote Originally Posted by Chris N View Post
    Spider-Man 2 is the best superhero movie ever made.
    Why? Just curious. I loved what it did for Peter in terms of character development, but I couldn't stand Doc Oc.

The Incredibles is not a comic book adaptation.
    Just retitle it Pixar's "Watchmen" and it makes more sense.

Iron Man 3 was a pretty solid superhero flick.
    I respected aspects of the film a lot, but I would call it anything but solid. Too artistic and deep for a wide audience at some points, and overly catering to the masses with overdone explosions and special effects firing at others. It felt highly unbalanced to me.

Man of Steel was a very well-produced terrible movie.
    Heh :)

More than anything else, what bugged me about that one (and no one discusses this) was the overt product/logo placements. They really disrupted the film for me.