Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Maybe switch both comics to the Vertigo line to ensure survival? Doesn't DC give a lot of leeway for lower selling Vertigo titles?

They better not end, with the exemption of Justice League of America these are the only non bat titles I read from DC.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur72 View Post
    Maybe switch both comics to the Vertigo line to ensure survival? Doesn't DC give a lot of leeway for lower selling Vertigo titles?
    Vertigo's mandate is strictly creator-owned books moving forward. Other than properties associated with Neil Gaiman, you're not going to see any DC owned characters at Vertigo outside of the anthologies. Also, the reason for the lower sales point is because it's assumed that Mature Readers books will always sell less than a standard title.

That said, critical acclaim can keep a DC book afloat. Like I said in an earlier post, I really wouldn't worry about either book until they get under 17,000 or so. As long as they stay over 20,000, they should be okay. The expectations for marginal books like these isn't as great as it is for a major franchise book.

Quote Originally Posted by Arthur72 View Post
    Vertigo's mandate is strictly creator-owned books moving forward. Other than properties associated with Neil Gaiman, you're not going to see any DC owned characters at Vertigo outside of the anthologies. Also, the reason for the lower sales point is because it's assumed that Mature Readers books will always sell less than standard titles.

That said, critical acclaim can keep a DC book afloat. Like I said in an earlier post, I really wouldn't worry about either book until they get under 17,000 or so. As long as they stay over 20,000, they should be okay. The expectations for marginal books like these isn't as great as it is for a major franchise book.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    Vertigo's mandate is strictly creator-owned books moving forward. Other than properties associated with Neil Gaiman, you're not going to see any DC owned characters at Vertigo outside of the anthologies.
    http://forums.comicbookresources.com...Vertigo-series
    BB

I'm so very glad I stuck with giving Soule's run a shot. I was almost certain that a new, unproven, writer could not keep me interested after a high-profile writer had left the book, but here I am, and I'm loving every issue. I had ST #24, Annual #2, and #25 stockpiled and just read through them and...just wow, the world building Soule has going is fantastic, creating a really rich, and (pardon the pun) deep mythos.

As for Animal Man, it continues to be a personal favourite. Rotworld may not have been the best storyline, but not because of the concept but rather in it's execution. With Albuquerque coming on board, I hope it provides a resurgence this book desperately needs. I think that both books compliment each other really well, and the cancellation of one would only hasten the cancellation of the other.

More human than human. Johnny P. Sartre's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Billy Batson View Post
    Lovin' your avatar, Billy.

How'd you find that Milligan & McCarthy HC? and are you read for Shadow Man?
    The 9th Blog
    A Blog made with friends about comics, the 9th art
    Tumblr: Comics! Comics! Comics! ACK!

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P. Sartre View Post
    Lovin' your avatar, Billy.

How'd you find that Milligan & McCarthy HC? and are you read for Shadow Man?
    Wow, such compliment, much love.
    Sadly I haven't gotten the HC, I'll try to get for christmas along with other trades. I have read Rogan Gosh, Skin and a bit of Paradax! before, though.
    I don't have much interest in the Valiant universe but with Pete writing, I'll get the trades if he doesn't phone in.
    BB

Quote Originally Posted by batGRRRl4ever View Post
    So is this the future of DC then, nothing but bat-family, sups-family, green-family, and Justice League spin-off titles? NOTHING else creatively? And what really irks me is that it ISN'T DC's fault, it's the readership that wants such utter conformity and sameness. Good lord, even I wouldn't buy 15 titles all starring Batgirl, there's simply a point where enough is enough.
    This seems like a far leap to make from "Will DC cancel Swamp Thing and Animal Man?" For one thing, we don't know that DC will ever cancel these titles, regardless of sales--their publishing plan is obviously not rigorously tied to sales figures or Stormwatch and The Movement would have been long cancelled. For another thing, even if Swamp Thing and/or Animal Man were cancelled, there's every reason to believe they would replace them with other experimental titles, which has been DC's M.O. since the beginning of the new 52. And there are plenty of past titles and side characters to cycle through: we could get an Ambush Bug standalone, we could get a Prez series, we could see a 'Mazing Man series. It seems strange to talk about something that has yet to happen and may never happen in the past tense. Unless you are Rip Hunter, Time Traveler, then I acquiesce!

I've loved Swamp Thing since the first issue. Animal Man has always had a difficult road for me but I did like it but there just came a point after Rotworld that I just couldn't muster up much enthusiasm for it so dropped it. Rotworld wasn't the problem as I think it as someone said, Animal Man wasn't a happy book before Rotworld. Its just steady with its depressing story, I guess.

Both Animal man and Swamp thing are spectacular, hope they won't be canceled (sales dropped because of the stupid rotworld arc)

Animal man is a good read every week, but Swamp Thing has been a great read every week since Soule took over. Even the Superman/Scarecrow and Constantine appearances were good, and I was afraid those might be a mark of guest stars trying to save sales at the expense of writing quality. Boy was I wrong! Swamp Thing is currently my favorite monthly from Marvel or DC, and I wish more folks would give it a shot.

If these two titles get cancelled, DC will pretty much lose me as a customer, unless something on that same level comes along.
    Pull List: Animal Man, Avengers Arena, Suicide Risk, Suicide Squad, Superior Foes, Swamp Thing, X-Men
    Trade Waiting: Superior Spider-Man, Unwritten, The Walking Dead

Consider me schooled. The Risso part I get, but Paul Dini? Don't see why this would be a Vertigo book.

I don't have much interest in the Valiant universe but with Pete writing, I'll get the trades if he doesn't phone in.[/I][/B]
    There is a preview in Quantum and Woody 5. Not enough to gauge which Pete will show up, but De La Torre's art is suitably dark and stylish.

My Opinion > Your Opinion maxpower00044's Avatar

I sure hope not. These are two of the best titles DC has to offer.
    "CBR. Complain, b**ch, and rant." - Greg Capullo

messageboard hyperbole is laughably bad, by a country mile. :rolls eyes: