View Poll Results: Favorite Superman Movie

Voters
85. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Superman

31 36.47%
  • Superman II

5 5.88%
  • Superman III

2 2.35%
  • Superman IV

1 1.18%
  • Superman: Returns

7 8.24%
  • Man of Steel

39 45.88%
Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst 12345

I like Man of Steel and I love the first 45/50 minutes of Superman - The Movie, before Clark arrives in Metropolis. Both movies are my favorites for different reasons.
    Last edited by the Sun God; 11-18-2013 at 10:41 AM.
    "You will give the people of Earth an ideal to strive towards. They will race behind you. They will stumble. They will fall. But in time, they will join you in the sun." - Jor-El

Hmm, Superman i would say.

Man of steel could win the first place with some cuts and edits.

Quote Originally Posted by Castel View Post
    Hmm, Superman i would say.

Man of steel could win the first place with some cuts and edits.
    I'd actually love to see a new cut. Less time on krypton, a little more character interaction on earth.

Supposedly the first cut was just over 3 hours
    Last edited by Xistel; 11-18-2013 at 01:00 PM.
    Facebook page dedicated to short films! - https://www.facebook.com/shortstuffmovies

BANNED

I was in the theatre in '78 and my immediate take away was I wished Luthor had his power gloves and actually fought Superman in some way. That and Lois' poems sucked. It was great in it's day but it doesn't hold up to any kind of scrutiny at all.

For this die-hard fan there can be only one and that's...

Last edited by The Beast; 11-19-2013 at 06:00 PM.

1978 film takes you on a fantastic journey.

1. Advanced Crystal Civilization of Krypton
    2. Endless Abyss of Space
    3. Small Town in the heart of Kansas
    4. The Icy Frigid North Pole
    5. Crowded Streets of Metropolis(New York)
    6. Beautiflly Rugged terrain of San Andreas California

Despite all the changing scenery the film never feels rushed like Mos.
    Last edited by WaveHeater; 11-20-2013 at 12:31 AM.

What I love about Superman the Movie is that its set in three pieces. There's Krypton, Smallville and finally Metropolis and each piece builds upon the last so when they get to Metropolis you know you are in for a treat and that immediately starts with the fun Reeve/Kidder pairing. Since its Metropolis you know there is going to be some larger-than life action sequences of which the helicopter/Lois in peril scene is just incredible. It would have been easy for them to just do the sequence but throughout it there are references to other things, like how he changes into the costume and Reeve doing the one/two-take as he eyes the telephone up and down before rushing across the street. One of the highlights though is the musical score. Its become legendary (for a good reason!) and is right up there among the best soundtracks ever made (like Star Wars.) From start to finish its just one of those movies I have always cherished right from the beginning when I saw it. And its considered one of the best superhero movies ever made; and its easy to see why. Reeve has a sincerity in the role. He says things that had any other person said them, you might not believe what they were saying but he is honest in the dual role, and so believable that you take that leap of faith with him and that's what acting is all about.
    Last edited by zryson; 11-20-2013 at 12:50 AM.

I could change my mind later, but at the moment:

1) 1
    2) 2
    3) 3
    4) MOS
    5) Returns
    6) 4
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

My favorite is Superman: The Movie. It was my first exposure to Superman as a kid and I've loved the character ever since. It was that movie that got me into Superman's comics and rich mythology. I think what I loved about it as a kid, and what I still love today, is that the movie has this sense of wonder to it. People in Metropolis stop to see Superman fly by. Everyone is fascinated by him. It mirrored my own feelings and sense of wonder. That's stayed with me over the years. Not to mention that Christopher Reeve is absolutely brilliant as Superman. Even though elements from the comics were changed for the movie, Reeve made it feel like Superman stepped right out of a comic and onto the big screen.

It has to be Superman: The Movie for me, very closely followed by Man of Steel and then Superman II. It was the second film I ever saw at the cinema, the first being Grease (I know know, my sister wanted to see Grease, so my Mum decided that the whole family would go together ;)). I've probably watched Superman: The Movie at least 5 times, and I'm also probably picking it for sentimental reasons. I do, however, believe that in some ways you definitely got to know the characters a whole lot better than in the Man of Steel. There was definitely a lack of depth in Man of Steel with regards to his "relationship" with Lois Lane and it would have been great to see more screen time when Clark went on his own personal voyage of discovery between leaving home and becoming Superman. The fight scenes in the Man of Steel are amazing, though, and there were some very good scenes with Jor-El and Martha Kent.

Superman: The Movie and Superman vs The Elite are tied for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Kurosawa View Post
    1-STM. Not perfect and with a stupid ending, but a lot of great moments and a ton of heart. It's flawed but when it works, it works. The last act is taken directly from Action Comics #5, making it the most faithful adaptation of any Siegel and Shuster original material in the series. 4 1/2 stars.

2-Superman II-many of the same problems as it's predecessor, but also many of the same strengths. Fantastic effects for the time that still hold up nicely and the first real superhero battle brought to life. Great movie with some issues. Acting is great as always. General Zod only matters because of this movie. He was a second stringer before this. 4 1/2 stars.

3-Superman III-It's a hot mess of a movie that still manages to be great in places. A lot of inspired scenes, a lot of great acting, and the epic battle in the junkyard between Superman and Clark due to effects of synthetic Kryptonite that behaves like Red K. Take out a lot of Dick Lester's silliness and this could be a good movie. A nice fan edit of it cutting out as much camp and unneeded sideplots as possible would help. 3 1/2 stars.

4-Superman Returns-A good idea that was just badly executed. There's some serious acting issues, there's some badly chosen storylines, but there is enough in it that actually feels like Superman to make it watchable at times. 2 1/2 stars.

5-Superman IV-Another Superman movie with potential, this time stopped by a low budget and a poor director choice. Would have liked to have seen Christopher Reeve direct this himself with a good budget. It's hard to watch due to the B movieness of it, but at least it has the classic cast and they all do well. 2 stars.

6-Man of Steel-I have blasted this movie over and over, no reason to rehash my thoughts on it. 1 star.

Honorable Mention: Superman VS The Mole Men, theatrically released film, later aired as a two parter of the Adventures of Superman TV series. This is actually the only Superman film with no major flaws, and it has a very welcome and classic Superman message about tolerance. 3 1/2 stars.
    Hey Kurosawa, how would you rank the animated Superman movies? Would you say the animated Superman movies are better or worse then their live action counter parts?

I am still kinda of annoyed that there have 6 major live action Superman movies and we have only gotten two villains from the comics and frankly I never really liked movie Lex Luthor.
    Last edited by The Master Meglomaniac; 11-20-2013 at 04:19 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by The Master Meglomaniac View Post
    I am still kinda of annoyed that there have 6 major live action Superman movies and we have only gotten two villains from the comics
    3 counting Faora. 5 if Ursa and Non were ever seen in the comics before the movies.
    Pull List; seems to be too long to fit in my sig...

Quote Originally Posted by dupersuper View Post
    3 counting Faora. 5 if Ursa and Non were ever seen in the comics before the movies.
    I don't think Ursa and Non count because they were not from the comics back in 1980, they were made up for the movie and not introduced in the comics till decades later.

You are right about Faora though, but I would like to see a live action Superman were a comic book villain besides Lex or Zod, is the Big Bad of the film. I mean 6 Superman movies and only 3 villains from the comics have shown up, that is kinda sad. Most of the major Batman villains have appeared on film, a good number of Spider-Man and X-Men villains too, it would be nice to a villain beside Lex or Zod, carry a movie or at least give Lex a super powered hench man the next time he appears and Nuclear Man doesn't count. Really Superman Returns would have been a little better if Lex used Parasite or Metallo to attack Superman, those two likely can't carry a film on their own, but they do make for good hench men.
    Last edited by The Master Meglomaniac; 11-20-2013 at 05:46 PM.

The rooftop/flying with Lois scene in Superman Returns is better than all of Man of Steel combined.