Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Batgirl: Spoiled Indiegogo Gets Cease and Desist from Warner Bros.

This was posted on their Facebook page:

***IMPORTANT NOTICE***

As of yesterday afternoon our IndieGoGo has received a take-down notice from Warner Brothers. Thus our crowdfunding campaign is canceled. We are working directly with IndieGoGo to make sure all those who donated to the campaign are refunded. We don't know yet how long this will take as of this posting, but we are working to make it as expedient as possible.

Considering this development Batgirl: Spoiled is going to go on a temporary, possibly permanent hiatus while we consider the fiscal and legal ramifications of going forward. If and when we have updates you can expect them here.

To be clear, we always knew this was a possible outcome of our series, and in recent months similar series with various IP have run into this same issue. We hold no ill will toward WB for this action, as it was their legal right. We were only borrowing the story from WB/DC they had every right to ask for it back.

This is a risk we took when we came together to make this series years ago, and we knew some day this might happen and well its happened and we're moving on. We'll have new projects in the future, and maybe one day Batgirl will again be on that list, and we'll be happy to see you all there when and if that happens.

Until then... speaking on behalf of everyone who made Batgirl: Spoiled over the past few years, thank you for your fandom, and thank you for your support. We will make a more lengthy statement in video form in the next few days / weeks on the YouTube page.

Thank you, thank you, thank you, and (perhaps only temporarily) Batgirl: Spoiled signing off...

Obviously bad news for fans of the series and Stephanie Brown. The series was done out of love for the character, even if it was a little too serious and, in the first episode, violent. Still, I was planning on donating. I hope they can continue in some way.
    Free your soul and let it fly....

Good on them for taking it so well - it's not a project I was especially interested in, but I've seen a lot of groups kick their toys out of the pram over things like this and thought less of them.

So kudos to this lot! :)

I don't know what this was for, but you can't crowdfund for an IP, that doesn't belong to you, and expect different results...
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Quote Originally Posted by ABH-1979 View Post
    I don't know what this was for, but you can't crowdfund for an IP, that doesn't belong to you, and expect different results...
    What doesn't make sense is how this one got the cease and desist while those Nightwing projects get the backing and nothing from Warner Brothers. Maybe because Nightwing was being published? Or did this adapt a storyline? I'm only hearing about this project.
    "Bruce, you have the creepiest smile!"

It actually depends on the IP owners. I just (finally) got my DVD for the Star Wars fan trilogy "Pink Five." They raised over $30,000 on Kickstarter to finish the project. But this might have been a special case where they got permission. George Lucas loved the first part of the series and I've never seen another SW fan film try crowdfunding.

Also, this was before LucasFilm was bought by The Mouse.

If Barbara was the star in the Batgirl outfit I wonder if things would have gone differently...

Picking Stephanie Batgirl was a bad choice since as far as DC is concerned there is only one Batgirl and her name is Barbara and she has never been Oracle.

Quote Originally Posted by RKitch View Post
    What doesn't make sense is how this one got the cease and desist while those Nightwing projects get the backing and nothing from Warner Brothers. Maybe because Nightwing was being published? Or did this adapt a storyline? I'm only hearing about this project.
    Were the funds for those projects obtained through a crowdfunding website, like this one? (honestly asking)

There are a lot of fan films starring DC characters, so I'd have to imagine it has something to do with how these funds are raised (publically on a website, or privately), and when WB gets wind of it.

Quote Originally Posted by DonC View Post
    It actually depends on the IP owners. I just (finally) got my DVD for the Star Wars fan trilogy "Pink Five." They raised over $30,000 on Kickstarter to finish the project. But this might have been a special case where they got permission. George Lucas loved the first part of the series and I've never seen another SW fan film try crowdfunding.

Also, this was before LucasFilm was bought by The Mouse.
    Yeah, that might have been a special case. For all the hate Lucas has gotten for the special edition changes and the prequels, he did seem to be fond of some of the fan films and parodies.

But yeah, with LucasFilm now belonging to Disney, I'm not sure we'll be seeing many more of these special cases.
    DC: Action Comics - Detective Comics - Batman and... - Batman - Justice League
    Marvel: All-New X-Factor

Were the funds for those projects obtained through a crowdfunding website, like this one? (honestly asking)

There was a Nightwing fan film funded by Kickstarter, but they were funded back in February. I think the big thing that changed was Marvel/The Mouse putting an end to that Punisher fan film back in October.

The Great Curator Mr. Mastermind's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sardorim View Post
    If Barbara was the star in the Batgirl outfit I wonder if things would have gone differently...

Picking Stephanie Batgirl was a bad choice since as far as DC is concerned there is only one Batgirl and her name is Barbara and she has never been Oracle.
    We should have timer for how long it takes for someone to mention Oracle or Babsgirl in one of these threads. 2 hours and 38 minutes for this one.
    Desaad: Guess they found out [Mr. Mastermind] was Holmes?

ABH-1979: Really? I don't think so. I actually liked Holmes...

There are a lot of fan films starring DC characters, so I'd have to imagine it has something to do with how these funds are raised (publically on a website, or privately), and when WB gets wind of it.
    There were two Nightwing fan projects, Nightwing the Series (from IsmaHAWK, they actually shoot in December) and that Grayson Earth One project, which I don't think got the full funding from it's IndieGoGo campaign. But like I said earlier, I find it interesting that those never got flack for the idea.
    "Bruce, you have the creepiest smile!"

This is always tricky stuff, but the bottom line is, writing your own stories with your own characters will leave you with much better odds of being left alone legally. I hope that this group, after getting this attention and momentum, does just that.
    Too broke for a pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    We should have timer for how long it takes for someone to mention Oracle or Babsgirl in one of these threads. 2 hours and 38 minutes for this one.
    This is, of course, a thread specifically ABOUT Batgirl.
    Too broke for a pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Mastermind View Post
    You know it's true. Babs is their one true Batgirl. If it was about her in the cowl they would have accepted it as a fan work/parody. Since it was Stephanie as Batgirl, which DC says never happened, and Babs as Oracle, which also didn't happen, WB stepped in. After all, they cannot have DC fans wanting what they tossed aside nor having them expecting a Blonde Batgirl in the comics and only seeing a Red Head that's supposed to be in a wheelchair.
    Last edited by Sardorim; 11-17-2013 at 12:10 AM.

Danger Doll in pink! Chickfighter's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Claude View Post
    Good on them for taking it so well - it's not a project I was especially interested in, but I've seen a lot of groups kick their toys out of the pram over things like this and thought less of them.

So kudos to this lot! :)
    Agreed. I'm a huge Steph Brown fan so I was following this project and am disappointed to hear this may be the end of it. But anytime you start raising funds for a fan fiction or film you enter dangerous waters.
    Comics full of heart, hope, humor and... egads... boobs?
    Danger Doll Comics at Indy Planet!

Good. I loathe 'fan projects'. If you want to create something, then do so. But the idea that your opinion of an existing character needs to be shared with the world is just f*cked.

Read the stories. Love/hate the stories. But respect the fact that it's not your place to try to dictate where thier lives go. And, for god's sake, keep your fanfic to yourself.

If you really, really feel you have a great idea for an existing character, pitch it to DC and try your hand at actually working on their little four colour life. Other than that, keep it to yourself. No one cares.
    Freedom is merely the ability to live without fear of persecution.