Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Superior Foes of Spider-Man, #5

"Superior Foes of Spider-Man" #5 continues its streak as one of the most fun, offbeat crime stories on the market. Nick Spencer and Steve Lieber shine as a storytelling team.

Full review here.

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

I want to cover a puddle in the middle of the street with my jacket for this comic.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

How did Silvermane's head get to the junkyard the Shocker ends up at?
    And last issue, Boomerang dumped the car, that had Shocker in the trunk, into the ocean (or some body of water), and this issue has the junkyard employees talking about it being torched? The editor in the letters page even said about Shocker: "Let's hope he's a strong swimmer". So..... screw up or what?

Administrator Expletive Deleted's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer D View Post
    Read #3. The story that Boomerang tells, then tells us is a lie. Turns out . . . not so much.
    Expletive Deleted

Quote Originally Posted by Expletive Deleted View Post
    Read #3. The story that Boomerang tells, then tells us is a lie. Turns out . . . not so much.
    Yep. That whole ending was just terrific irony in more ways that one. Man, I love this comic!
    --Mike McNulty, aka Stillanerd

Blog: Yes, I Am STILL a Nerd!

Don't ever take a fence down until you know the reason why it was put up.--G.K. Chesterton

Sad Hawkguy in the snow CyberHubbs's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Geezer D View Post
    And last issue, Boomerang dumped the car, that had Shocker in the trunk, into the ocean (or some body of water), and this issue has the junkyard employees talking about it being torched? The editor in the letters page even said about Shocker: "Let's hope he's a strong swimmer". So..... screw up or what?
    Think he meant to dump it in the river, but if you notice on the last page of #4 there's a street sign. Boomerange didn't really bother looking, so Shocker just crashed into a street running underneath right by the river.
    I know Kevin Nichols through a guy that knows a gal. Small world!

If nihilism didn't take some delight in destruction one might suspect nihilists were an unnaturally morbid sort.
    -Theophilus

This book is a straight up treasure. Classic already.

And Shocker with the head at the end. LOL

Quote Originally Posted by Von View Post
    This book is a straight up treasure. Classic already.
    Absolutely. Marvel's best comic at the moment.

Agreed, arguably the best Marvel series on the stands right now. I look forward to it every month!

Superior Foes of Spider-Man...Hawkeye...Daredevil.

If anyone told me that those would be the three most fun comic books coming out of Marvel in 2013, I would never have believed you. Marvel is taking some chances on oddball series, and its REALLY paying off. Just don't cancel this book! :)

Quote Originally Posted by panicbxmb View Post
    Superior Foes of Spider-Man...Hawkeye...Daredevil.

If anyone told me that those would be the three most fun comic books coming out of Marvel in 2013, I would never have believed you. Marvel is taking some chances on oddball series, and its REALLY paying off. Just don't cancel this book! :)
    In the same vein that have taken some risks to make the same kinds of series for Morbius and Gambit, neither of which worked. I think one of the important things to note about these comics is that they are very similar to older-style marvel books in that they tell relatively isolated-self contained stories with very little to no crossover. Events are completely ignored. This allows what feels like a better longer-term writing arc on each series.

Say what you want about Wacker, but he is the senior editor of the three or four best books Marvel has put out in a long time. Simultaneously.
    Last edited by Doctuh; 11-17-2013 at 09:09 AM.