View Poll Results: What did you think of Cataclysm: USM #1?

Voters
36. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue.

15 41.67%
  • Good. I enjoy where this is going.

13 36.11%
  • Meh. Not bad, but I didn't hate it.

4 11.11%
  • Bad. I didn't really care for this story.

3 8.33%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

1 2.78%
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

ZZZZZzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz.

Let's hope Ultimate X-Men and Ultimates deliver.
    "Finally got rid of all those pesky white males that were burdening the team! Now the Ultimates are urban hipsters... what everyone demanded!" - Exciter
    My Blog

Quote Originally Posted by Kurolegacy View Post
    What's odd is it contradicts the main event by having Miles already suited up having dealt with a crime just before.
    Is it "just before" though?
    The issue starts with a "Yesterday" caption. I assumed that all segments except the very last happened the day before Big G landed.

@ drz and Wolverine12

It's called character development people.

I absolutely love this issue. If there's one thing Bendis does really, REALLY well, it's banter and bringing out the humanity in characters.

Quote Originally Posted by Spekstar View Post
    @ drz and Wolverine12

It's called character development people.

I absolutely love this issue. If there's one thing Bendis does really, REALLY well, it's banter and bringing out the humanity in characters.
    Normally I'm okay with those type of issues but this one had some major flaws. First, the most obvious and glaring flaw is the idea that this issue is a tie in to Cataclysm. There was nothing in this issue that advanced this story at all. Second, this was obviously a character focused issue but we didn't learn anything new about any of the characters focused on nor did this issue further their motives or "personal" stories. The Ultimates were all made to look like fools who Shield keeps completely in the dark about everything. Cap and Thor were reduced to to people who are not much more than the hired muscle. Tony was pretty much spot on so that is a positive that I enjoyed and will admit that he was the shining light of this boring episode. We had no new development for Miles or Jessica at all. Cloak and Dagger, one could say that we definitively saw that they are on their own, but they have mentioned that in previous issues and I don't think showing an abandoned house added any depth to that. Bombshell did get some sympathy from me for her situation but I credit that more to the artist than the dialogue or writing. Her mother is in jail and she is on her own. We knew that back when Peter Parker was still swinging around Manhattan.

I felt that nothing happened in this issue for anyone. To me it read like what I imagine happens during the time between issues, all the boring stuff that isn't worth putting in the book.

Having said all this I will admit that I generally prefer the more action oriented issues than the quiet ones, anyone who knows me on this board could tell you that. I do enjoy character moments as well, but this one was poorly executed with a few minor exceptions.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

Elder Member

Someone named "Wolverine12" prefers action? I would have never been able to guess that :P

Quote Originally Posted by wyokid View Post
    Someone named "Wolverine12" prefers action? I would have never been able to guess that :P
    Shocking I know.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

You know, a thought occurred to me. Does it seem at all strange that Cap had a problem with a 15-16 year old Peter being a hero and a 13 year old Miles being a hero yet has absolutely no problem with a 16 year old Jessica not only being a hero but an Ultimate and agent of SHIELD? I mean sure he may not have known she was a clone but surely he noticed before now that she's a teenager.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

My guess is it was one of those different perspective tie-in issues, basically showing what everyone of the team from last arc had been up to when Galactus arrives. What's odd is it contradicts the main event by having Miles already suited up having dealt with a crime just before.
    And both were written by Bendis... Yet somehow I am not surprised...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

You know, a thought occurred to me. Does it seem at all strange that Cap had a problem with a 15-16 year old Peter being a hero and a 13 year old Miles being a hero yet has absolutely no problem with a 16 year old Jessica not only being a hero but an Ultimate and agent of SHIELD? I mean sure he may not have known she was a clone but surely he noticed before now that she's a teenager.
    Tell me you can look into Jessica's eyes and say "no". If you can, then you are a stronger man than most, including Cap.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    Tell me you can look into Jessica's eyes and say "no". If you can, then you are a stronger man than most, including Cap.
    But she has Peter's eyes and he said a lot more choice words to them

Spider of the Shadows Assassin Spider's Avatar

But she has Peter's eyes and he said a lot more choice words to them
    Peter had the wrong anatomy.
    Back in black, the hunter is ready to claim his prey.

Quote Originally Posted by Assassin Spider View Post
    Peter had the wrong anatomy.
    That brings up a whole other can of worms; what does Johnny think of Jessica with the news out there that she's a clone of his dead best friend?

Quote Originally Posted by StepsOntheMoon View Post
    I've said this elsewhere but I'll repeat it - I thought it was a good issue and a pleasant surprise. It helps if you think of it as a continuation of Ultimate Comics Spider-man rather than a separate event - at best this issue is a loose tie-in to Cataclysm. But it was good for character - too often character focus and development is lost in a wash of crossover events, but this issue neatly sidestepped it. There is plenty of time for Galactus, so it's nice to see our protagonists for a bit.
    Yeah, it was a pleasant read as continuation. Cataclysm #1 CLEARLY happens after this so it was curious that no proper footnote was given - the checklist is something though. Actually it was better than the C&D arc conclusion. It was hardly a SPIDER-MAN issue though - marketing lucked out with that series title. Miles got exactly 1/4 the facetime added to Ultimates, Bombshell, and C&D.

That brings up a whole other can of worms; what does Johnny think of Jessica with the news out there that she's a clone of his dead best friend?
    I think he knows doesn't he? Pete did turn to the FF for help in the clone saga
    I'm with the Douche!

On Vacation

Damnit Bendis. You missed another opportunity maybe that was the point.