View Poll Results: What did you think of Cataclysm: USM #1?

Voters
36. In order to vote on this poll, you must be a registered user and/or logged in
  • Great! Can't wait for the next issue.

15 41.67%
  • Good. I enjoy where this is going.

13 36.11%
  • Meh. Not bad, but I didn't hate it.

4 11.11%
  • Bad. I didn't really care for this story.

3 8.33%
  • Awful. Wish I didn't read it.

1 2.78%
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Default Cataclysm: Ultimate Spider-man #1 Spoiler/Discussion

spoilers:

-The Ultimates sit around in the Triskelion, and Jessica tells them about the Power Pack incident.
    -Miles falls asleep in class.
    -Lana (Bombshell) meets with her parole officer, who tells her she broke parole and is going to call SHIELD. She says she wants to be a hero now.
    -Later, Miles is suited up again and puts an end to a non-super skirmish.
    -Dagger asks Cloak to take her home; she wants to see her family.
    -Her family is gone, and she decides she wants to keep being a superhero.
    -Suddenly, GALACTUS SHOWS UP!

To be continued...
    end of spoilers

Right off the bat, this was a lot better than Cataclysm #1. This is the kind of story that Bendis is better suited to, rather than the universe-sprawling epics. That said, this is still far from a perfect issue, riddled with a lot of the problems I've had with Bendis's writing over the past few years.

The USM characters are all fantastic, as usual. I love that each person got a spotlight. However, it an ass-backwards kind of way, Miles was the least important part of this issue. He was the focus character in the book called Ultimates Last Stand, yet he barely did anything here. I know that might sound odd coming from me, considering how much I've complained about the lack of supporting cast, but I still want Spider-man to have a good role in a book called Ultimate Spider-man. The school scene was a decent moment for Miles, but the Spidey scene was boring (not to mention questionable timeline-wise... we'll see). But as much as I loved seeing the school again, why couldn't Ganke or Kate have even a single line of dialogue? This girlfriend has been so meaningless. It would have been much better to expand that scene rather than putting Miles in costume again, which was an awkward transition as it was.

The other scenes were pretty good, though. The Power Pack have been a great addition to the book, even if it means less focus on the non-powered cast (remember when Bendis used to be able to balance the Amazing Friends AND Gwen, May, and MJ AND the Daily Bugle?).

I mentioned in the preview thread that I was happy about seeing the Ultimates relax again. One of my favorite Ultimates moments was when they were sitting around talking about who would play them in a movie, and there have been a few other great scenes like that through the years. But I felt like Tony was the only character that Bendis really nailed. Cap's cluelessness makes sense, but his character seems dumbed down to the freshly unfrozen Chris Evans version from the Avengers movie ("I get that reference!"). And Thor's terrible attempt to turn a phrase sounds like something straight out of Archer ("I had something for this..."). The tone of the scene was great, and even the idea behind the characterizations was okay, but the dialogue could have been a lot better. I really like Monica here though; she and Jessica saved the scene.

The art, as usual - fantastic. Marquez really excels at character designs, even when his backgrounds are digital and stale. I love the look he's given Lana out of costume, and the rest of the Power Pack looks as good as they did in Spider-man No More. Miles in action is great, of course. He even shows that he could be a good Ultimates artist, though I'll wait to see them in action first. The "That was classified..." panel of Monica was probably my favorite art moment of the issue, showing how good Marquez is with facial expressions. As we discussed in the preview thread, the coloring is a bit off in the first scene, but as Ponsor takes over for the rest of the book it looks outstanding. I like Paul Mounts, but something's not right at the beginning.

(I'm only guessing about where the color switch takes place. I apologize to Paul Mounts if I got that wrong, but that's where I think it happens).

As a story, this is a transition between the last arc of USM and Cataclysm. It's pretty light on story, but it's got good character moments throughout, something that was really missing from the first issue of Cataclysm. As usual, I wish this could have been compressed a bit more. But it's actually pretty packed for a modern Bendis comic; the difference is that this is part of a three issue arc, not a six issue one. With only two more issues to go, I hope that the Power Pack vs Galactus can be substantial.

Like I said, this is definitely an improvement from Cataclysm #1, but it's still not Bendis at his best.

Ratings:
    Writing: 7/10
    Art: 9/10
    Story: 8/10
    Overall: 8/10
    I like Ultimate Comics. - Read them with us!

I also buy: Captain America, Avengers, FF, New Avengers, X-Factor, among others

Aspiring Spider-Man StepsOntheMoon's Avatar

I've said this elsewhere but I'll repeat it - I thought it was a good issue and a pleasant surprise. It helps if you think of it as a continuation of Ultimate Comics Spider-man rather than a separate event - at best this issue is a loose tie-in to Cataclysm. But it was good for character - too often character focus and development is lost in a wash of crossover events, but this issue neatly sidestepped it. There is plenty of time for Galactus, so it's nice to see our protagonists for a bit.

I really love the art. Marquez draws really attractive women and shows plenty of emotion in the facial expressions. I loved the picture of Galactus in the distance at the end of the issue.
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

On Vacation

Quote Originally Posted by Balfro View Post
    I really love the art. Marquez draws really attractive women and shows plenty of emotion in the facial expressions. I loved the picture of Galactus in the distance at the end of the issue.
    All the artists should just draw him as a dark shadow. At least I can take him seriously that way.

True Superior Spider-Man Kurolegacy's Avatar

I think Bendis needs to keep track of notes of character's ages because suddenly Jessica is now 16 despite the fact that she's supposed to be Peter's age and he was 16 when he died which was a few months before the 1 year timeskip. So she should be 17 right now, not 16.
    Holding out for a Peter/Miles team up.

I was pleasantly surprised by the way Bendis portrayed the cops in this issue. He usually portray them as shoot first ask question later douchbags that don't care if the Spider-man they encountered have done so much good and even been recognized by higher authority such as Shield and it was nice that Miles run into some grateful cops and one of them even hugged him. that was my favorite part of the issue.

-Hawkeye was colored wrong
    -Daily Bugle showing up as a physical newspaper again
    -another "Alison Blair" realtor sign
    -Still no explanation as to why Lana can use her powers without her mother present.

Quote Originally Posted by SpeedofLife View Post
    -Still no explanation as to why Lana can use her powers without her mother present.
    Well the first 2 may not be mistakes since Hawkeye's shown to have that outfit in purple in the past and the Daily Bugle seems to do both these days.

That one-panel flashback made me think that Lana was manipulated by her mom into thinking they had to be together for their powers to work. It would be one of the many resentments she has against her mother. Man, I really liked her storyline and I can't wait to see if it continues after Cataclysm.

Great issue. I also thought it was weird Jessica is only 16 but I guessing Bendis wants the cast in the book to be around the same age.
    Buy The Punisher

I really enjoyed the issue and liked the art more so than the main event.
    Pull: Avengers, New Avengers, Mighty Avengers, Captain America, Superior Spider-Man, Superior S.M.T.U, Ultimate Universe, Chew, Invincible, Batman & Smallville.

Yeah I can't believe Bendis aged Jessica by 14 years...
    All-New Ultimates Earth 2 Harley Quinn Injustice Invincible Miles Morales: The Ultimate Spider-Man Real Heroes The Walking Dead Ultimate FF

Wtf was the point of this issue? Freaking complete waste of an issue.
    1) Find a bad guy
    2) Be Wolverine
    Bring Back Ultimate Wolverine...again!

I don't see an issue with the Bugle producing a paper now, business change all the time. And the Alison Blair signs are more of an easter egg than continuity error. The big one here is Bombshell's powers. How hard would it be to just have her explain that she started being able to use them when her mum wasn't there, that is all it takes
    I'm with the Douche!

Quote Originally Posted by Wolverine12 View Post
    Wtf was the point of this issue? Freaking complete waste of an issue.
    My guess is it was one of those different perspective tie-in issues, basically showing what everyone of the team from last arc had been up to when Galactus arrives. What's odd is it contradicts the main event by having Miles already suited up having dealt with a crime just before.