Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default REVIEW: Batman, #25

Scott Snyder and Greg Capullo bring back one of the very first Batman villains in "Batman" #25, even as "Zero Year" continues to plunge Gotham into darkness.

Full review here.

The backup had me particularly confused. 1) Is that Jason Todd on the splash page in the red mask? 2) On the other side of the splash page we see what appears to be Dick Grayson as prototype Nightwing? (Whatever happened to Robin?). Now, I know the condensed timeline played havoc with the Bat family, but it looks as though Dick and Jason(?) are close to Bruce's age, if Bruce is supposed to be in his early 20's during ZY. This 5 year time line is starting to rear it's ugly head again.

Quote Originally Posted by Red&Green View Post
    The backup had me particularly confused. 1) Is that Jason Todd on the splash page in the red mask? 2) On the other side of the splash page we see what appears to be Dick Grayson as prototype Nightwing? (Whatever happened to Robin?). Now, I know the condensed timeline played havoc with the Bat family, but it looks as though Dick and Jason(?) are close to Bruce's age, if Bruce is supposed to be in his early 20's during ZY. This 5 year time line is starting to rear it's ugly head again.
    This occurred to me too - that maybe in the Red Hood Zero Year issue we'll see Jason take a mask from one of the RH gang to hide his identity while playing hero - meaning he was actually Red Hood before he was Robin.

Dick Grayson I believe is wearing his circus get-up, which later influences the Nightwing costume.

Candy Land world champion

Exactly how did this get less than 5 stars?
    Jordan.
    I AM better than you.
    And you already know that.
    -Sinestro

Quote Originally Posted by Field_Left_Blank View Post
    I feel like lesser quality, more hyped issues have gotten 5's. No idea if it's the same reviewer though. Anyways, lol @ comic reviews.
    Grandparents dead - please no jokes

make mine DC, thanks

I enjoyed this issue, but I was hoping to see more Riddler. It feels as though Snyder is trying to explore too much of the past in this issue. It was still good, just not as focused as some recent issues. And I think a 4 out of 5 is a little too generous.
    Join me on the official website for X-men Supreme, home of Marvel Universe 1015. Want a fresh take on X-men? Click below to enter the official home of Marvel at it's most Supreme!

X-men Supreme

I rather enjoyed this more than I was expecting. I liked how Snyder did not go into one of his standard "mythology" monologues.

Also, Andy Clarke. He needs a book.

I actually thought this was the weakest issue in a while. I really don't dig that batmobile either.

Quote Originally Posted by Field_Left_Blank View Post
    I really liked the main story, but the back-up story was just fluff, and together it didn't feel like it was worth $5 to me. I'd only give it 3 stars - 4 if it was 3.99.

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by GallowGlass View Post
    I actually thought this was the weakest issue in a while. I really don't dig that batmobile either.
    Same here. This was a big book of filler with a fancy 90's cover and a jacked price tag. Snyder has yet to prove to me that Batman needs this origin.

I didn't like paying $4.99 for this one (no one made me, I know), but I enjoyed the issue. The splash page with the heroes was cool, but I didn't get the Red Hood thing, either. Also, Dick Grayson's get-up is red in Batman, but it's more of a faded blue in Nightwing (which was really boring, btw). So, hooray for attention to detail there.