Default Hulk Visionaries volume 9?

Anyone know when? and if? they are ever going to release a "Hulk visionaries vol 9" ?
    I mean i know Peter David's run pettered out toward the end of his run,but the rest of his pantheon run,not to mention Gary Frank's art was classic!
    So i would expect the hulk visionaries run to at least carry on to hulk visionaries volumes 9,10,11 then maybe just the last issues of the final end of his run with andy kubert...
    But leaving the hulk visionaries as they are? unfinished! and about to lead in to the ghosts of the pasts story arc is ridiculous.. anyone have any info on a volume 9 release date?
    Last edited by clouds; 11-11-2013 at 02:53 AM.

Your guess is as good as ours, but given Marvel's priorities I wouldn't count on it happenng.

The Visionaries line was poorly thought out from the beginning. David's run is too large to collect in such small trades. Based on volumes 1-8 there are another 10 volumes to go before it's completed. Even if they published a volume a year it would still be ten years from ending.

Marvel made things worse and basically killed the line thanks to one big mistake: They let early volumes fall out of print, which locks out new readers. That means the audience for each book shrunk and shrunk, which meant that Marvel gave new volumes lower priority, which meant that the series was bound to die off.

Basically, between the low numbers of the earlier volumes, Marvel's refusal to put them in print and Marvel's recent love of publishing things in more efficient 500 page books, I wouldn't bet on the line continuing at all.

Marvel's abandoned the Visionaries. They may keep some stuff in print, but they're moving toward larger collections, both unbranded and part of the Epic line. Hulk isn't part of the Epic collection yet, but they do have some hefty Mantlo trades (which inspired the Epic line:) Pardoned, Regression, Crossroads. They cover #269-285, 286-300 and 301-313 respectively. (Ironically, the Hulk Visionaries: Byrne trade buts up right against this, with #314-319. Milgrom comes next, thus far uncollected, though the perfect length for a decent trade. And then David's run...)

Well it's a piss take these Comic's need to be collected in a Peter David Omnibus or something? I mean the series went downhill after #426 but got good again to begin finishing David's run from #454-467 and the Marvel Visionaries trades only go from #331-396... surely they could and Hopefully fill and release two Omnibuses with #331 to at least #426 the end of the pantheon saga?

Quote Originally Posted by clouds View Post
    Well it's a piss take these Comic's need to be collected in a Peter David Omnibus or something? I mean the series went downhill after #426 but got good again to begin finishing David's run from #454-467 and the Marvel Visionaries trades only go from #331-396... surely they could and Hopefully fill and release two Omnibuses with #331 to at least #426 the end of the pantheon saga?
    The thing is the whole run would probably be four omnibuses. Maybe three, but they'd be huge. You're talking what, 136 regular series issues? Plus annuals, side stories and crossovers and it's a hefty number. The record for an omnibus is currently 56 issues totally 1300 pages (Spider-Man by Roger Stern). Three of those and you'd have the David run done.

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyOldHermit View Post
    The thing is the whole run would probably be four omnibuses. Maybe three, but they'd be huge. You're talking what, 136 regular series issues? Plus annuals, side stories and crossovers and it's a hefty number. The record for an omnibus is currently 56 issues totally 1300 pages (Spider-Man by Roger Stern). Three of those and you'd have the David run done.
    From #331 David's first issue to the end of the pantheon saga #426 is under 100 issues plus the annuals Maybe they could split that into 3 Omnibuses? would be nice in a perfect world

Plus from #427 to #453 are pretty rubbish... i'd be happy with just a trade of #454-467
    Last edited by clouds; 11-11-2013 at 12:37 PM.

One of the reasons I quit collected editions... Too many different formats... and too many holes.

Quote Originally Posted by clouds View Post
    From #331 David's first issue to the end of the pantheon saga #426 is under 100 issues plus the annuals Maybe they could split that into 3 Omnibuses? would be nice in a perfect world

Plus from #427 to #453 are pretty rubbish... i'd be happy with just a trade of #454-467
    Marvel wouldn't orphan the issues like that. If I had to guess, Vol 1 would go from #331 to #378 (including Web of Spider-Man #44, Fantastic Four #320 and two stories from Marvel Comics Presents). That would collect the whole Grey Hulk saga. Then Vol 2 would be #379 to #426, covering the Pantheon saga. Then Vol 3 would finish the run with #427 to #467. So approximately, 1168 pages in Vol 1 (before bonus features get added), 1104 pages in Vol 2 (again, before bonus pages get added) and then 943 for Vol 3 (unless theres an oversized finale issue somewhere, I haven't read that far).

Quote Originally Posted by Mechano View Post
    One of the reasons I quit collected editions... Too many different formats... and too many holes.
    That's exactly what the Epic Collections are for. They've just started coming out, but the goal is to release every issue in order in 20-issue chunks. I have the first one released--Iron Man Volume 10 (#158-177, Annual #5)--and it's truly beautiful.

Senior Member McFarlane's Green Hulk's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by JohnShil View Post
    That's exactly what the Epic Collections are for. They've just started coming out, but the goal is to release every issue in order in 20-issue chunks. I have the first one released--Iron Man Volume 10 (#158-177, Annual #5)--and it's truly beautiful.
    Sadly, there are no current plans for any Hulk Epic Collections. Which sucks, because there's that annoying gap between the Byrne & PAD run that is dying to get reprinted. (For me, anyways.) And the first dozen issues of Mantlo's run.
    One worry I have is the sales numbers on these Epic Collections, since they're going into less-than-stellar material, how long are they going to keep the line going before pulling the plug? I'm liking all of the upcoming collections, but they aren't tailored for everyone.

But I do see the PAD run being reformatted into these new "Complete" or "Ultimate" collections -- like the JMS Spider-Man run, or the Morrison X-Men. And they're pretty hefty too.
    Who knows, though...
    Last edited by McFarlane's Green Hulk; 11-12-2013 at 07:55 AM.

Whatever format they decide on, PAD's run needs to be collected in its entirety. I'd prefer Epic Collections at this point, but as was mentioned, they need to put out some books from more popular runs ASAP. Otherwise the line is gonna get canceled due to poor sales.

Rulk needs his moustache! ResIpsaLoquitur's Avatar

Don't forget that the Hulk: Ghosts of the Past TPB collects issues #397-400 and picks up immediately after PAD volume 8. It's not in Visionaries format, but it does slide right next to Vol. 8 in terms of continuing the story. It's also out of print, but I found one on Amazon for pretty cheap a few years ago.

If Marvel does collect #401-467, don't forget that it needs to include the load of extra Hulk books that PAD wrote. Off the top of my head, there were at least 3 annuals, the two Future Imperfect issues (they go between #416 and #417), the "Hercules Unleashed" special, and if we want to get REALLY complete, the four issues of "Heroes Reborn: The Return" (set between #459 and 460). Oh, and there was an "Onslaught" issue of Cable which led into #444 which would have to be included.

I may be forgetting a few others. PAD also wrote Hulk/Pitt, which appears to take place somewhere after Onslaught but before Rick's paralysis in #457; however, copyright concerns would probably keep that story out.
    "Well, last night's episode was a very special episode. They revealed that the Incredible Hulk has an evil twin. And he's not green. He's red."

Quote Originally Posted by ResIpsaLoquitur View Post
    Don't forget that the Hulk: Ghosts of the Past TPB collects issues #397-400 and picks up immediately after PAD volume 8. It's not in Visionaries format, but it does slide right next to Vol. 8 in terms of continuing the story. It's also out of print, but I found one on Amazon for pretty cheap a few years ago.
    Quick question about the Ghosts of the Past TPB. In the late 90's Marvel's trades were world-famous for not having the covers reprinted in front of each issue - instead they were in the back of the book after the collected issues. Does this particular volume have the covers in the correct places or are they scattered at the end?

I've got Pardoned, Regression, Crossroads, the single John Byrne Visionaries, all the Peter David Visionaries TPB's and everything up to #244 in Essential TPB's. It appears the Essential line has been killed. (Hulk Vol. 7 was the last one they printed and they so far have no new Essentials in the works for 2014.) Since the Pardoned TPB picks up with #269 it looks like I'll eventually be collecting #245-268 and Annual #11 in individual issues. I'm only up to #227 in my chronological reading now, so I'm gonna wait 'til I get closer to #244 before getting anything between #244 - 269 because with my luck as soon as I got the individual issues I'd see a solicitation for a new TPB.