Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I like the look of Hush. I like that he was boyhood friends with Bruce Wayne. But I think his origin is the dumbest origin story in comics. I tried to kill my parents, but your Dad the doctor saved my Mom's life so I hate you? Whaaaaat? They could just leave that part out and have him be psychopathic surgeon who was Bruce's best friend growing up. He's going to run into Batman if he's operating in Gotham anyway. I really hope Snyder uses him in his run and retcons the origin story

Quote Originally Posted by carabas View Post
    Well, I think that in the end she was much happier with Mr. Terrific.
    Yeah, I just mean all the crap she had to take with Bruce including imprisonment. Moving on the Checkmate and Mr Terrific was good for her.

Quote Originally Posted by AlexanderLuthor View Post
    I like the look of Hush. I like that he was boyhood friends with Bruce Wayne. But I think his origin is the dumbest origin story in comics. I tried to kill my parents, but your Dad the doctor saved my Mom's life so I hate you? Whaaaaat? They could just leave that part out and have him be psychopathic surgeon who was Bruce's best friend growing up. He's going to run into Batman if he's operating in Gotham anyway. I really hope Snyder uses him in his run and retcons the origin story
    While I agree with you in principle about the problems in Hush's motive, I'd add a bit to your paraphrase of it in order to emphasize just how dumb it seemed when we learned it:

"I tried to kill my parents, but your Dad the doctor saved my Mom's life, so I hate you -- and thirty years later, I have finally decided to get around to making you suffer because of this burning hatred I've allegedly been nursing all along without actually doing anything about it until right now!"

I don't think angry, vindictive psychopaths are quite that patient, but what do I know?
    Last edited by Lorendiac; 11-11-2013 at 04:48 PM.

When I saw this title my response was, I'm not surprised. I have a question about Hush too - why does anyone like this story?

Unlike Lorendiac, who I agree with in principle, I really don't care about specifics, it just sucks, and it sucks even more that at this point it's considered somewhat of a classic.
    Too broke for a pull list.

Quote Originally Posted by booyah View Post
    When I saw this title my response was, I'm not surprised. I have a question about Hush too - why does anyone like this story?

Unlike Lorendiac, who I agree with in principle, I really don't care about specifics, it just sucks, and it sucks even more that at this point it's considered somewhat of a classic.
    I would guess it has more to do with the artwork than the writing.. the artwork was fantastic.
    I didn't read it exactly when it came out so i'm not sure if it's dated now and maybe it seemed like a better story at the time in comparison.
    Or maybe Occam's Razor is the answer and people just like to see Catwoman and Batman get touchy feely.

I liked Hush better when he was called Black Mask.

(Then again...)
    The "Son of Batman" movie reminded me of the first reason I hated Grant Morrison's Batman run: Talia raped Batman and got away with it.

Otaku Revolution

I enjoyed the story but it was a very disappointing way to end it and definitely left a sour taste in my mouth. Why put Bruce and Selina through all that, only to reset the status quo? I understand they wanted to showcase Bruce's intense paranoia and inability to truly trust others, but basically it just felt like a dickish move at the time.