BANNED

Default If magically nobody could be a full time writer anymore would quality suffer?

Just curious what people think.

I'm more curious why you change your avatar every day

BANNED

No. Probably a lot more works of passion instead of so many by-the-numbers books.

Modus omnibus in rebus Roquefort Raider's Avatar

I think quality would suffer some, as a number of writers would not benefit from as much experience. On the other hand, I think we'd get a lot fewer "just average" novels.
    People in white coats (science cartoons, updated daily) | Art Blog

Read fanfic for your answer. Most of it is terrible but there are stories out there as good if not better than the professional work the stories are derived from.

But no full time writers might end series getting drawn out to ridiculous lengths (whole books of "Wheel of Time" that barely advance the plot) or continuing well past their natural end (Everything "Earth's Children" after "Mammoth Hunters" and everything in Anita Blake after "Killing Dance" - "Burnt Offerings" was still good but "Killing Dance" satisfactorily ended the story).

BANNED

Quote Originally Posted by Kizmet View Post
    Read fanfic for your answer. Most of it is terrible but there are stories out there as good if not better than the professional work the stories are derived from.
    You would have editors to filter that.

It's a long-winded topic title (which seems to be a thing on the CBR boards) and I wonder why anyone would think of it--but in a word No.

There was a world not so long ago where nobody was a full time writer, because you couldn't make money writing full time--except maybe Sir Walter Scott, but he didn't need the money and he worked at a lot of other jobs besides just writing novels. In fact, it seems like most 19th century writers had time to do hundreds of different things besides writing.

The vast history of literature is populated by writers who did it in their spare time. It was really only in the late 19th century that writing for a living seemed like a worthwhile project--and many in the higher social classes looked down their noses at someone who made a livelihood from novel writing.

Maybe in the future, writing won't be something that you can profit from. I'm facsinated by the way that FARENHEIT 451 ends and we don't seem so far off from that in this electronic age.
    MY FAVOURITE FUNNIES NO. 15 featuring FIRST DAYS OF A "NEW LOOK"