Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    My take on it is a bit different. "Dick should not have a solo title, therefore he doesn't really need a personal Rogues' Gallery!"
    Care to share your reasoning?
    Currently reading She-Hulk, Deadpool, Swamp Thing, Ms. Marvel

Probation: Ghost Rider, Loki: LoA, Secret Avengers

Looking forward to All-New Ultimates, Flash Gordon and Doctor Mirage.

Quote Originally Posted by BrotherUnitNo_4 View Post
    Care to share your reasoning?
    Okay. Here's a cut-and-paste from what I've said in other threads over the last few years.

I've sometimes had my stance arouse some controversy when I say: "One of the worst things that ever happened to the Dick Grayson/Nightwing character was when, in the mid-1990s, DC let Chuck Dixon give Dick his very own solo title set in the city of Bludhaven."

My basic position is that back in the 1980s, Marv Wolfman was writing Dick Grayson as: "A young man who is finally getting out of Batman's shadow (as much as he ever will) by ditching the role of Robin, creating a new role for himself that isn't famous as 'Batman's sidekick,' and generally proving that on a good day he is a better team player and team leader than Batman is! He may not be a better detective or a better hand-to-hand combatant, but he has already exceeded his mentor in other areas!"

But in the mid-1990s we got: "Dick Grayson is Batman Lite -- no more and no less! He has his own corrupt city to clean up -- but it ain't as big as Gotham, of course, so it's less of a challenge. He tries to be the dark and scary 'lone wolf' superhero champion of that city -- but of course he'll never be as dark and scary a 'lone wolf' as Batman already is. He's got millions of bucks to spend on buying all sorts of cars and other equipment for his war on crime -- but not, of course, as much as Batman can afford to spend on everything. And so forth!"

Quote Originally Posted by Ismail's Light View Post
    Yeah, The Spook's the guy I was thinking of. He totally needs to make a comeback in the New 52.
    Kinda tough to comeback from this...

Another guy who always struck me as a bit similar to Mysterio was "The Getaway Genius". He was a clever crook who, naturally, figured out how he and his men would escape from a heist well beforehand, often using misdirection and low-grade 'illusions' (tricking Batman and Robin into attaching their grappling hooks to a broken pipe, set up in such a way ahead of time as to look stable) to evade Batman.
    Best of the Best
    Grant Morrison; Alan Moore; Mark Waid; Warren Ellis; Mark Millar (when not all Millar-y); Elliot S! Maggin; Kurt Busiek; Jonathan Hickman; Matt Fraction; Jason Aaron; Garth Ennis.

Quote Originally Posted by Dispenser of Truth View Post
    Another guy who always struck me as a bit similar to Mysterio was "The Getaway Genius". He was a clever crook who, naturally, figured out how he and his men would escape from a heist well beforehand, often using misdirection and low-grade 'illusions' (tricking Batman and Robin into attaching their grappling hooks to a broken pipe, set up in such a way ahead of time as to look stable) to evade Batman.
    I didn't think of him as an "illusionist" so much as "a man who knows how to stall for time by delaying our heroes," but I see your point.

When I first read The Getaway Genius's debut in a black-and-white Showcase reprint volume, some years ago, I fell in love with him. One of the very few Batman foes who has grasped a fundamental truth about the world they live in: "Trying to kill Batman and Robin in a fight doesn't work. Trying to lure them into a clever trap so you can watch them suffer and die doesn't work. If they get within arm's reach of you when you're fleeing a crime scene, then you've already lost and you just don't know it yet!"

His point was that zillions of other bad guys had thought they could "overcome" Batman and Robin, and where they were now? Rotting away in prison or in Arkham Asylum! He felt there was an important lesson to be learned from this. That's why he would carefully plan a fast getaway instead of trying to prove he was macho enough to stand up to Batman and Robin in a fair fight (or even an unfair fight) as many of the other supervillain types have tried (and usually failed) to do.

The only reason he finally failed, and got captured, was that his henchmen were so stupid that they totally ignored his rules of engagement when they thought they saw a golden opportunity to finally get the drop on Batman and Robin! (The poor, deluded fools . . .)

Quote Originally Posted by Lorendiac View Post
    I didn't think of him as an "illusionist" so much as "a man who knows how to stall for time by delaying our heroes," but I see your point.

When I first read The Getaway Genius's debut in a black-and-white Showcase reprint volume, some years ago, I fell in love with him. One of the very few Batman foes who has grasped a fundamental truth about the world they live in: "Trying to kill Batman and Robin in a fight doesn't work. Trying to lure them into a clever trap so you can watch them suffer and die doesn't work. If they get within arm's reach of you when you're fleeing a crime scene, then you've already lost and you just don't know it yet!"

His point was that zillions of other bad guys had thought they could "overcome" Batman and Robin, and where they were now? Rotting away in prison or in Arkham Asylum! He felt there was an important lesson to be learned from this. That's why he would carefully plan a fast getaway instead of trying to prove he was macho enough to stand up to Batman and Robin in a fair fight (or even an unfair fight) as many of the other supervillain types have tried (and usually failed) to do.

The only reason he finally failed, and got captured, was that his henchmen were so stupid that they totally ignored his rules of engagement when they thought they saw a golden opportunity to finally get the drop on Batman and Robin! (The poor, deluded fools . . .)
    I was thinking in the sense that he was manipulating Batman's surroundings so that his usual tactics would fail spectacularly, but I see your point.

I always liked that too; not just the fact that he's smart enough to get where things are going to go (though that cracked me up), but that of all Batman's enemies, he's maybe the only one that truly sees it as just business, even compared to Selina and Cobblepot. He even ended up helping Batman a couple times, and Bruce let him escape when stealing the chemicals for his chemo treatment in a recent story, so that he could live long enough to see his daughter grow up. It even strikes me as just a tiny bit similar to how Batroc ze Leaper operates, except that there's no way GG would have faded into obscurity if he had an accent even half that amazing.
    Best of the Best
    Grant Morrison; Alan Moore; Mark Waid; Warren Ellis; Mark Millar (when not all Millar-y); Elliot S! Maggin; Kurt Busiek; Jonathan Hickman; Matt Fraction; Jason Aaron; Garth Ennis.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post

But that was pre-Flashpunt / pre-New 52, so . . . anything's possible now.
    Congress shall make no law . . . abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

Quote Originally Posted by MajorHoy View Post
    But that was pre-Flashpunt / pre-New 52, so . . . anything's possible now.
    Plus he was a master of escape and illusion. Just say it was a double. Easy fix.
    Looking for artists, know I won't find any. That blows.

Quote Originally Posted by nepenthes View Post

In a world of Superboy Punch! and lazarus pits? Not really too hard.

Besides, that might not even be the real Spook. For all we know Damian cut the head off a double.

I loved the spook in the 70s. He's the scooby doo villain from the batman rogue gallery.