Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default "Thor" sequel tops $86 million domestically in opening weekend

"Thor: The Dark World" strikes hard at the North American box office, with a global total of $327 million to date.

Full article here.

Well earned success. The movie was a lot of fun and has upped my enthusiasm again for the Marvel line of movies.

I feel sorry for everyone who worked on Ender's Game. The movie was really good (exactly what fans of the series have been hoping for since the book was first released). Sadly the bigoted views of the author have ruined the film's potential. Just goes to show you the sheer magnitude of power the masses have when a large segment mobilize and act in unison.

Anyway, good on Thor for being awesome! I can't wait to see it tomorrow! :D

Well deserved. A huge improvement over the first film.
    "It isn't jumping the shark if you never come back down." Chuck

Great movie & I got my THOR cup with movie character topper too!

Love those! Getting the other cup too extweek!
    Pull list: Almost every Marvel book, Age of Bronze, Captain Midnight, some Dynamite & Image. I AM DC COMIC FREE!

Thor 2 was merely OK. The main problem being it was boring for the first 40 minutes. Also, the plot was as dumb as s***. Hiddleston was great as Loki and Hemsworth was excellent as Thor.

What I can't stand are the grotesque anachronisms in the story. Marvel/Disney corporate continues to push the notion that the Asgardians are scientifically advanced aliens. So, why the hel do they continue to use archaic weaponry and archaic technologies?! Heimdall takes out the Dark Elves' Spaceship with a f***ing dagger. A f***ing dagger. In the previous movie, Thor & friends ride to the mouth of the Bifrost wormhole generator ON HORSES.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that they're a scientifically advanced alien race and then have all the accoutrements of a deep fantasy at the same time. Marvel/Disney were counting on moronic movie-going audiences to not look too closely at the non-existent plot and non-existent world-building.

Does it look beautiful. Yes. Does it have an internal story-logic that makes sense? Hell no.

Quote Originally Posted by il Mysterio View Post
    Thor 2 was merely OK. The main problem being it was boring for the first 40 minutes. Also, the plot was as dumb as s***. Hiddleston was great as Loki and Hemsworth was excellent as Thor.

What I can't stand are the grotesque anachronisms in the story. Marvel/Disney corporate continues to push the notion that the Asgardians are scientifically advanced aliens. So, why the hel do they continue to use archaic weaponry and archaic technologies?! Heimdall takes out the Dark Elves' Spaceship with a f***ing dagger. A f***ing dagger. In the previous movie, Thor & friends ride to the mouth of the Bifrost wormhole generator ON HORSES.

You can't have it both ways. You can't say that they're a scientifically advanced alien race and then have all the accoutrements of a deep fantasy at the same time. Marvel/Disney were counting on moronic movie-going audiences to not look too closely at the non-existent plot and non-existent world-building.

Does it look beautiful. Yes. Does it have an internal story-logic that makes sense? Hell no.
    Sure you can. It's pulp fiction.

Flash Gordon, Masters of the Universe, Princess of Mars and even Star Wars have "magic" and swords along with guns and spaceships.
    "Who fights an army with purple tape over their nipples?"
    Starfire can. She destroyed 3 tanks inbetween panels while wearing purple tape over her nipples.

Elder Member

Quote Originally Posted by MegaGearX View Post
    Sure you can. It's pulp fiction.

Flash Gordon, Masters of the Universe, Princess of Mars and even Star Wars have "magic" and swords along with guns and spaceships.
    To say nothing of the fact that Marvel comics--the source material for the films--have been mixing mythology and sci-fi in Thor since day one.
    Dr. Jackson: Who makes a movie out of a series that only lasted 3 episodes?

Teal'c: It allegedly performed well on DVD

Quote Originally Posted by kalorama View Post
    To say nothing of the fact that Marvel comics--the source material for the films--have been mixing mythology and sci-fi in Thor since day one.
    yeah the first story involved Thor fight giant rock aliens
    Cyclops ad portas

I really enjoyed Thor 2. Even though critics reviews are slightly lower than the first, audience reviews are actually up, earning a CinemaScore of A- from Thor's B+, which definitely will help its longevity.

Ummm...like light sabers vs. blasters?

The simple answer is because that's METAL AS FUCK. 8-legged horses, flying goats called Toothnasher and Toothgrinder, flying ships, space sharks and a hammer cast in the heart of a dying star by space dwarves. Metal, son.

That said, I didn't like The Dark World much at all. Nothing of consequence happened (could the Loki fake-out have been real instead of not), the story and villain were dreadfully dull and there was way too much (unfunny) humour. Next time have Mangog eat Kat Dennings please. THAT would be funny.

Glad to see that the movie is doing well, as I want the Marvel properties to do well and lead to more stuff, but I thought The Dark World was ok. Humour that felt flat to me, as well as an increase in dosage.

As much as I like the Marvel movies to maintain a certain amount of humour in it's execution, too much can become annoying. The latest Thor movie was pushing the envelope towards annoying. I really hope that Winter Soldier tones down the overdosage of humour that was prevalent in TDW.
    Olivier Coipel - The best damned artist on the planet!

Shout out to Kev Walker! You're doing a hell of a job!

Find & follow me on Twitter & Instagram. Check out arfguy

It's a good gross and there's more to be made.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Did anyone else notice that the plot was essentially a slightly reworked version of the plot of the first Tomb Raider movie?