Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

I see people mentioning his MTIO run. I was a huge MTIO fan as a kid, I inherited a load of them. Was his the Project Pegasus era? It seems most likely because of all the Quasar.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind pugh View Post
    I see people mentioning his MTIO run. I was a huge MTIO fan as a kid, I inherited a load of them. Was his the Project Pegasus era? It seems most likely because of all the Quasar.
    Yep. Though he co-signed most of it with Ralph Macchio, Gru had a great run in MTIO from around the 50ies to the 70ies (issues of course, not years). Beside the Project Pegasus Saga, he also did a cosmic three parter with Starhawk, Moondragon and Her, trying to find out Adam Warlock's fate (he worked solo on those) and the Serpent Crown Affair saga, which was also quite good, among others.

Peace
    Last edited by Nomads1; 11-11-2013 at 10:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blind pugh View Post
    Yeah, he also created the second Serpent Squad, which was my favorite. He further developed them into the Serpent Society, which still is one of my favorite villain groups.
    X-Poster of the Month: May 2013
    The Best There Is At What I Do

Top Ten Magic Bitches

reading Squadron Supreme back issues as a kid really changed the way I thought about the stories you can tell in a comic.
    scmartel.deviantart.com

Quote Originally Posted by XPac View Post
    I always felt his Squadron Supreme book was underrated.

I honestly feel that title always belonged in the same breath as Kingdom Come and Watchmen.
    Probably would be if the art was more consistent.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Probably would be if the art was more consistent.
    y'know would love to see the series re-drawn with the same dialogue. I should reread it. Wonder how it holds up over time...
    scmartel.deviantart.com

Love him, hands down my favorite Cap writer. Every characterization of the character has felt "off" to me ever since he left the book.

Quote Originally Posted by lobsterj View Post
    Love him, hands down my favorite Cap writer. Every characterization of the character has felt "off" to me ever since he left the book.
    I have to agree with this too. Gruenwald is so linked with Cap in my mind, that I find all other writers fail to get him right. Some are quite good, but none are Gruenwald-good.

Quote Originally Posted by strathcona View Post
    I have to agree with this too. Gruenwald is so linked with Cap in my mind, that I find all other writers fail to get him right. Some are quite good, but none are Gruenwald-good.
    Problem is, while he had his heights, he wrote a lot of bad Cap too. Like, his last couple of years on the book. Fighting Chance was pretty terrible. Like, bad enough you start to come up with theories, like if Gruenwald either knew or was feeling the effects of the heart defect that killed him? Or maybe it was just Marvel at that point was a terrible place to work.
    The Punisher: Iím going to cauterize your rectum, sealing it shut, so when you turn those delicious Pink Pantsô Fruit Pies into waste products the bilirubin in your feces will leach into your bloodstream and youíll die screaming! And Iíll watch while having sex with this grateful prostitute!

Trussed-Up Hooker: Blueberry are my favorite!

In other words, what StoneGold said.
    -Expletive Deleted

Check out my travel site, Geekations.com

Gruenwald's Cap is the best Cap. I think someone with Gru's sensibilities in terms of respect for continuity and characterization would be an amazing editor for someone like Warren Ellis or Grant Morrison...letting them come up with crazy ideas but reining in their excesses and making sure all the toys can go back in the box at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Nomads1 View Post
    Yep. Though he co-signed most of it with Ralph Macchio, Gru had a great run in MTIO from around the 50ies to the 70ies (issues of course, not years). Beside the Project Pegasus Saga, he also did a cosmic three parter with Starhawk, Moondragon and Her, trying to find out Adam Warlock's fate (he worked solo on those) and the Serpent Crown Affair saga, which was also quite good, among others.
    I loved all of those!

Quote Originally Posted by Talisman View Post
    Yeah, he also created the second Serpent Squad, which was my favorite. He further developed them into the Serpent Society, which still is one of my favorite villain groups.
    Wow. I'm only just starting to discover how important he was to my childhood, I've been doing some digging around on Comicvine trying to find all the things he wrote, and it's amazing how many characters I really love I discovered through him.

Quote Originally Posted by StoneGold View Post
    Problem is, while he had his heights, he wrote a lot of bad Cap too. Like, his last couple of years on the book. Fighting Chance was pretty terrible. Like, bad enough you start to come up with theories, like if Gruenwald either knew or was feeling the effects of the heart defect that killed him? Or maybe it was just Marvel at that point was a terrible place to work.
    His run was so long and marked by certain standout stories that are great, but yeah it had its valleys along with its peaks. Cap-Wolf and the Superia Strategem come to mind. He also would have Cap do silly things like confront a bunch of street kids about blasting rap on their boombox.

But despite these bizarre dips in quality, I'll forever remember him for his awesome Hawkeye mini, which made me love the character as a little kid, and then his work on both Cap and Quasar, which were both great (mostly!).

And yeah, Squadron Supreme was excellent, and ahead of its time. To me, it's the bridge that connects the standard superhero comics of the time to the more thoughtful and adult oriented stuff like Watchmen and the like.