Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Now that you mention it I hadn't realized the first series was that old. I was thinking they were both published in the late 90s. I was Ted to mention Grendel as I really liked Hunnter Rose but figured that was outside of the typical hero mold. It's a shame more people don't appreciate his work. It's good stuff. The Batman/Grendel crossover is one of my favorite Batmanstories. Wagners Batman is visually awesome.
    Matt Wagner is my favorite Bat-writer. Even more than Englehart, Miller, and O'Neil.

Quote Originally Posted by FanboyStranger View Post
    I think if any Image superhero has truly shown itself to be successful in the sense that it has entered the conciousness of the public at large, it would be Spawn. The odd thing there is that Spawn barely registers as a character among comics readership these days.

Within Wildstorm, I'd argue that the WildCATS and Grifter, in particular, are far more successful than the Gen13 characters. The Gen13 characters had a certain buzz around them when they first appeared, but I don't think that ever really spread beyond the comics reading populace. Even that ebbed when it was apparent that Gen13 was essentially an extremely derviative teen superhero book that focused more on cheesecake art than stories. Only Adam Warren's brief run on the title gained any sort of critical acclaim, and that's largely forgotten now. WildCATS, however, had Robinson's run, Moore's run, Casey's run, and a cartoon. (The Ellis era of Stormwatch and the subsequent Authority also loom large within comics fandom, but I don't think it really goes beyond that. That said, it was read by people who don't normally read superhero comics.)
    You're right about Spawn being the bestknown of the Image franchises, but as I said, I'm not defining what the OP called "truly successful character creations" in terms of their being recognized by the non-comics-readers. Given that as the OP said we're dealing with a near-monopoly on the highest sales by franchises dating back to the Silver Age, I find it impressive that anything survives over 10 years in this market. YMMV, of course. I might be equally impressed by WILDCATS and/or GRIFTER if I'd followed them back in the day.

I'm not sure exactly what criterion the OP is setting for 'success'. It seems like they want characters with 60+ years of public recognition who were created in the last two decades. I don't think there is going to be many of those.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Matt Wagner is my favorite Bat-writer. Even more than Englehart, Miller, and O'Neil.
    Are there some particular Wagner Batman stories you would recommned? Grendel may be the only Wagner Batman I've read.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)

Quote Originally Posted by adam_warlock_2099 View Post
    Are there some particular Wagner Batman stories you would recommned? Grendel may be the only Wagner Batman I've read.
    Faces is essential. Probably the best LotDK story overall, and considering the pedigree of that title, it's saying something. It may also be the finest Two-Face story.

Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk, known informally as Year 1.5, are also really good.

There's a prestige Riddler book with art by Dave Taylor that's pretty good. Plus, a few odds and ends like a really cool story from the first Batman: Black and White mini.

Soul Gem Resident adam_warlock_2099's Avatar

Faces is essential. Probably the best LotDK story overall, and considering the pedigree of that title, it's saying something. It may also be the finest Two-Face story.

Batman and the Monster Men and Batman and the Mad Monk, known informally as Year 1.5, are also really good.

There's a prestige Riddler book with art by Dave Taylor that's pretty good. Plus, a few odds and ends like a really cool story from the first Batman: Black and White mini.
    Surprisingly I don't have Faces. There's not much of LOTDK I don't have. THe best Batman in my opinion. Thanks for the recommendations Fanboy.
    "To alcohol, the cause of and solution to all of life's problems." -- Homer Simpson
    "You get what everyone gets. You get a lifetime." -- Death (Sandman)