Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Mild-Mannered Reporter

Default CBR REVIEW: "Thor: The Dark World" Aims High

The latest Marvel Studios film aims high with more fantasy and increased stakes, but a mediocre villain prevents it from reaching the next level.

Full article here.

I agree with your main point, that is to say that what is supposed to be the main story, fighting Malekith, is overshadowed by the dynamic between Thor and some other characters (mainly Loki and Odin). Jane Foster is less of a smitten damsel in distress, but a great part of the plot still has her as someone for Thor to save (Sif is a nice counterpart to her, and I regret that we don't see her more, hence a campaign to have her appear in SHIELD: https://www.facebook.com/LadySifAgentofShield).

It's nevertheless a movie far superior to the first Thor outing, if only for one very funny scene at Jane's appartment.

ShaunN

Looking forward to seeing this. I really hope that Jane Foster is written out though - I'm really over Natalie Portman and, from what I understand, she did not want to do this movie.

Saw it today here in The Netherlands and agree with the review.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger128 View Post
    I agree with your main point, that is to say that what is supposed to be the main story, fighting Malekith, is overshadowed by the dynamic between Thor and some other characters (mainly Loki and Odin). Jane Foster is less of a smitten damsel in distress, but a great part of the plot still has her as someone for Thor to save (Sif is a nice counterpart to her, and I regret that we don't see her more, hence a campaign to have her appear in SHIELD: https://www.facebook.com/LadySifAgentofShield).
    Not if she's the next Wonder Woman.
    "A man can be happy with any woman as long as he does not love her."

Oscar Wilde

Quote Originally Posted by ShaunN View Post
    Looking forward to seeing this. I really hope that Jane Foster is written out though - I'm really over Natalie Portman and, from what I understand, she did not want to do this movie.
    My problem is just how weak a link she was in the first film. Her not being in the Avengers was a great and beautiful thing. There's just no romantic tension. Jane and Thor just seem like they would be much better as friends.

What makes it worse is that everyone else in the cast seems to know what they're doing and having an enjoyable time.

"Thor: The Dark World" aims high, and while the visuals are exciting and the characterization (including a character death that affects much of the main cast) remains sharp, the film doesn't quite reach its true potential due to a villain who never truly feels like much more than an amorphous bad guy. It's still plenty of fun -- Marvel Studios appear to have "fun" down to a very precise science at this point, especially with Tom Hiddleston involved -- with a lot to like, but given its ambition, the end result feels like a mildly missed opportunity.

That's how I've felt with a lot of the Marvel Cinematic Universe movies. Thanks for the review. I may actually wait a few weeks to see this, probably after Hunger Games comes out so I can see a double feature.

It's grossing very well.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by FIFTY-TWO (52) View Post
    Not if she's the next Wonder Woman.
    Well, Olga Kurylenko is also testing for the part, so the probability of having Jamie Alexander cast as the next Wonder Woman is not that high, considering that it's been DC's policy to cast well-known people (especially compared to Marvel) and I'm pretty sure Kurylenko is more of an A-lister than Alexander.

Really? Cavill was far from a household name.
    “The only thing standing between you and your goal is the bullshit story you keep telling yourself as to why you can't achieve it.”

Quote Originally Posted by DebkoX View Post
    Really? Cavill was far from a household name.
    Agreed on Cavill, I only knew him from the Tudors (then again, Superman is almost always cast this way, I think). On the other hand, the Batman trilogy is full of stars and Green Lantern had Ryan Reynolds, who used to be a rising star before that.

Quote Originally Posted by Tigger128 View Post
    Agreed on Cavill, I only knew him from the Tudors (then again, Superman is almost always cast this way, I think). On the other hand, the Batman trilogy is full of stars and Green Lantern had Ryan Reynolds, who used to be a rising star before that.
    Lol, sad but true. Pity, since the guy clearly appreciated and had an understanding of the character.

But I think at this point (and ESPECIALLY for WW) they may take a page out of marvel's book and cast someone who will disappear into the role the same way someone like hemsworth has for Thor.

WW is hard enough on it's own, but it won't have a shot if people see wonder woman and instantly think "Oh it's (insert actress) in a wonder woman costume!"

Agree that Marvel has "Fun" nearly perfect with their films. And I loved Thor 2. Best movie of 2013 for me (so far!).

Check out my spoiler-free and largely very enthusiastic review here.
    Check out my latest movie review: Captain America: The Winter Soldier

Looks as if it will do well, maybe MoS numbers and critics and fans seem to like it (imdb 7.6 fan approve, rottentomatoes 78% ) unlike other films which have been trashed by critics